The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Subban | D

X-Man

13 hours ago, DeNiro said:

He's less likely to have success as a forward than as a D IMO.

Let the guy keep working on getting stronger and using positioning to his advantage.

He was always going to be a project player, he was a fourth round pick after all. If he pans out it's a huge homerun, if not then no big deal it's par for the course with fourth round picks.

Pretty much this. I have no idea why he cause so much panty-knotting on here?

18 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Marc-Andere Bergeron.

.5 ppg defenseman in the 4th round.

Is that supposed to be something to complain about? I'd be pretty happy if he plays 500 games and racks up 250 pts.

2 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

.5 ppg defenseman in the 4th round.

Is that supposed to be something to complain about? I'd be pretty happy if he plays 500 games and racks up 250 pts.

Not complaining at all.

I think it's a fairly realistic comparison.  Both have tremendous offensive skillsets but are going to be limited in their usage due to their inability to effectively play in the defensive zone.

Honestly I'd be thrilled if Subban was as good of an NHLer as MAB was.

2 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

No, as we need the RH PMD far more than we need a small skilled forward

That was my gut feeling too, but I also think that Ronning has a better chance of becoming a impact player. Plus with Stretcher, we have someone who has likely jumped ahead of Subban on the depth chart. There's also a chance we could grab a puck moving defenseman with our third pick - - there seem to be a few projected to go in that range. 

6 minutes ago, Lonny_Bohonos_14 said:

That was my gut feeling too, but I also think that Ronning has a better chance of becoming a impact player. Plus with Stretcher, we have someone who has likely jumped ahead of Subban on the depth chart. There's also a chance we could grab a puck moving defenseman with our third pick - - there seem to be a few projected to go in that range. 

No sorry, I think we need as much depth as we can possibly get. I wouldn't mind trading down our 3rd to get to the 80th area to select him though. 

I would consider an exchange with Cassels as well.

Jordan should look no further for inspiration than Sami Vatanen. He was able to put it all together despite his diminutive stature(although 185lbs for someone 5'10" is a decently thick individual), & just signed a nice 4 year contract.

So similar in body type within an inch, and 5lbs. Both are high hockey IQ RHD, with game breaking offensive ability. Subban just got 36 points in his 20yr old rookie AHL season. Where as Vatanen got 45 points in his 21yr old rookie AHL season. Being a year older, & playing in Finlands top league for 3 years definitely helped him. However he did have to adjust to hockey in NA.

My point is this is what we should hope for Jordan to stay another 1-2 years with Travis & really develop his defensive abilities. Also it would be amazing to see him gain & hold another 5-10lbs without sacrificing his elusiveness & skating ability.

Jordan Subban - Sami Vatanen

5'9" - 5'10"

180lbs - 185lbs

1 minute ago, sharbinder said:

Jordan should look no further for inspiration than Sami Vatanen. He was able to put it all together despite his diminutive stature(although 185lbs for someone 5'10" is a decently thick individual), & just signed a nice 4 year contract.

So similar in body type within an inch, and 5lbs. Both are high hockey IQ RHD, with game breaking offensive ability. Subban just got 36 points in his 20yr old rookie AHL season. Where as Vatanen got 45 points in his 21yr old rookie AHL season. Being a year older, & playing in Finlands top league for 3 years definitely helped him. However he did have to adjust to hockey in NA.

My point is this is what we should hope for Jordan to stay another 1-2 years with Travis & really develop his defensive abilities. Also it would be amazing to see him gain & hold another 5-10lbs without sacrificing his elusiveness & skating ability.

5'9" - 5'10"

180lbs - 185lbs

Is Subban REALLY 5'9" though?  He seems more like he's 5'5".

Just now, sharbinder said:

Have you ever seen him not on a TV screen? if that's your logic, I'd say the same about Vatanen, he looks very short on the ice.

I believe there is a poster here who met him, who would know better.  I've seen him on skates, but that's hard to tell actual size.  He looked tiny to me.  But so many of theses new young guys are big, it maybe made him appear smaller than he truly is?

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I believe there is a poster here who met him, who would know better.  I've seen him on skates, but that's hard to tell actual size.  He looked tiny to me.  But so many of theses new young guys are big, it maybe made him appear smaller than he truly is?

I met him last year at camp. Couldn't tell you how tall he was but if I've learned anything from watching hockey my entire life it's that some little guys can play and some can't. Just like some big guys can play and some can't. I think we'll just have to wait and see. He's got everything he needs to succeed plus a brother who's in the conversation for the Norris year after year. I kinda wanna see what he's got.

4 hours ago, sharbinder said:

5'9" - 5'10"

180lbs - 185lbs

I've got a strong feeling Benning moves Subban.

I saw him at the prospects camp last year.  He doesn't look all that small on the ice...certainly not out of place.  I was dissapointed in his performance in the battling drills.  Lost most of them, however he didn't get beat to often on the line rushes.

20 hours ago, sharbinder said:

5'9" - 5'10"

180lbs - 185lbs

I don't like or want either on our team. Vatanen was all but sexually assaulted by the Preds in their first round exit. If your goal is to become a Tiny regular season PP defensemen then wonder eastward where you will be worshipped. 

If i want to be entertained by midgets I'll watch TLC 

41 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Brand recognition. Can you imagine if his last name was Bure and he was a 5'4" flashy forward we picked in the 7th? This place would go bananas!

This right here.  

The kid is a nobody with a fancy name.  

Very low chance he makes it anywhere, but he is a Subban, so let's all dream he is little PK. 

Archived