The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Question sbout ICBC class 5 road test

RottenCanuck22

I'm taking my road test this week and I just came to the painful realization that they might not let me do the test because my front side windows are tinted.

Anyone have any experience with this? If I roll down the windows before I go into Icbc will they make me roll them up while they inspect my vehicle?

I don't think there is any other vehicle I can use besides my own right now...

If it's legal they can't do much I would think.

They are illegally tinted I believe. I bought the car from the dealership like this but I don't think any tinting is allowed on the front windows. The question is, are they going to make me roll them up to check them, and if they do, will they not let me do the test?

They are illegally tinted I believe. I bought the car from the dealership like this but I don't think any tinting is allowed on the front windows. The question is, are they going to make me roll them up to check them, and if they do, will they not let me do the test?

Honestly, I would ask them. Be like, "if I went to visit the US and my front side windows got shot out would I still be able to do the road test?". If yes, then you're good. Before the test, roll the windows down and disconnect the power windows from the fuse box so you can show her you can't roll windows up even if you tried.

If it's your windshield that's tinted too, well.. can't help you there. Maybe use someone else's car if you can.

I had the same issue. They won't do the test. If you roll the windows down, they're supposed to roll them up to ensure they work.

If you have absolutely no other option, just roll them down and hope for the best. You might get someone who just doesn't care.

I had the same issue. They won't do the test. If you roll the windows down, they're supposed to roll them up to ensure they work.

If you have absolutely no other option, just roll them down and hope for the best. You might get someone who just doesn't care.

Did you pay for the test and then after they saw your windows they kept the money and cancelled the test?

Front side window tint is illegal (of any percentage), except for on the windshield above and below of a height of about 4 inches I believe. ICBC will not allow you to road test with an illegally tinted vehicle.

I would use someone else's car (you don't have to be the registered owner OR the principal operator of the vehicle in order to use it for a road test). It's bull$&!#, but it is what it is. Also, get that tint removed ASAP, cops will pull you over and give you a ticket and/or a vehicle inspection order. Front tint won't pass an inspection, so it's best to just get it removed.

What's the appeal of having those windows tinted, anyways? It always draws my attention towards you and makes me think you're shifty.

Well,the obvious answer is that it looks great. It also helps keep sunlight out as well, which is great when you're driving around on sunny days.

It's a bit dangerous at night however. Left hand turns can be difficult, but it's also something your eyes adapt to. I had 5% tint all around and when I used the car as my daily driver I rarely had issues, even at night. But when I bought another vehicle and drove this car less frequently, I had a lot more problems navigating at night.

Well,the obvious answer is that it looks great. It also helps keep sunlight out as well, which is great when you're driving around on sunny days.

It's a bit dangerous at night however. Left hand turns can be difficult, but it's also something your eyes adapt to. I had 5% tint all around and when I used the car as my daily driver I rarely had issues, even at night. But when I bought another vehicle and drove this car less frequently, I had a lot more problems navigating at night.

5% VLT is a little ridiculous though.

True. Lighter tints have virtually no negative side effects in my opinion, I think they offer nothing but benefits and I can't understand why its illegal.

5% looks amazing on a black car though...

I went to get the Auto Expressions version of tint from a US Walmart, since it had fab reviews (and the easy cling actually does very well for our home windows, brought the temp down on average 2-7C), just for fun I bought a 2.5% VLT they had. I was like holy crap. Why bother with tint at that point, just block the window entirely. I couldn't believe they even sell that.. isn't limo tint like 20% VLT?

All front tint is illegal in BC to clarify that. In my experience they never asked me to operate the windows. Just the signals, lights, wipers ect. If it's not raining and you park it with the windows down I don't see why they could ask you to roll them up. My instructor asked if I could turn on AC but that was an honest request, not demand. I'd say your fine, but I'd be paranoid for sure.

Archived