The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Young Stars Sept 11-14, 2015 Penticton

theminister

Ya man. I took some flack heading into this tournament for saying I feared him more than McDavid, now people are starting to get it. He's big, mobile, mean and good for 25+ minutes a night.

The guy definitely has a down side, though. Spent last night wandering all over the ice. Had more time in the opposition crease than on his own point. Beat up on a smaller guy (Andersen), but backed away from Smith. And the whole time his mouth is just a flap, flap, flapping away. Great skills, zero brains.

The guy definitely has a down side, though. Spent last night wandering all over the ice. Had more time in the opposition crease than on his own point. Beat up on a smaller guy (Andersen), but backed away from Smith. And the whole time his mouth is just a flap, flap, flapping away. Great skills, zero brains.

I actually agree with you there......gis hockey iq doesnt match his skill level. Hopefully that changes as he matures. If so, hes going to be a tough guy for the Nucks to play against for a long time.

DeNiro you make a good point regarding players elevating their games when playing with good players. A lot of these young stars no matter the team are probably in over their heads. Edmonton should be good, they've drafted high for a long time Vancouver's crop isn't as deep.

Other than the top names being pumped on Vancouver's roster who were the other players on the ice for Vancouver? There's a lot of players in this tournament that will never see next years training camp let alone the NHL.

So for people resting their judgement from one game let alone a chimpy pre-season tournament on the future of the Canucks your lens on the process is tainted.

The real test for this group will come at the end of the season because that's when all evaluation is done. At this point the evaluation centers around where a player is going to be sent for further development this coming season.

A lot of these players have to take the course before they have any possibility of failing it.

That's a tough one, but I think I'd go with Nurse; mostly due to the team's weak D prospects, but also because it's so hard to find dmen like Nurse.

Hands down Nurse! There is no comparison in the quality of these 2 players. Nurse was involved in everything out there he would make a great canuck but instead we might grow to hate him

Hands down Nurse! There is no comparison in the quality of these 2 players. Nurse was involved in everything out there he would make a great canuck but instead we might grow to hate him

Still too early to say. Both look great at this point, just organizational need would really dictate. Canucks still have two gold winning Olympians on the blue line last I checked. Oilers... Can't name one other than Nurse to be honest.

Abols and gardiner were nice suprises imo when they played. Brisebois showed he can make a smooth pass. Zhukenov showed good work ethic and skating. Virtanen showed good wheels and more drive to the net in the last game, still needs to keep his head up and look where he is passing it as he probably made the most mistakes and poor passes out of anyone who played. Great speed on the ot winner, the building erupted when he scored.

On a side note, Oliver Kylington for Calgary really impressed me in mondays game. Fluid skating, good passes you can tell he has tremendous skill and vision I was quite impressed.

Subban was noticeable, had some good offensive rushes. Hutton played well.

Cederholm and Sautner had really rough tournaments imo.

Was hoping Gaunce would play a more physical game.

Shinkaruk after game one showed alot of skill and poise with the puck.

Cassels was alrght nothing super flashy, good on the dot, good two way game.

Mccann had a decent tournament has a good release on his shot.

Fox, seemed more focused didnt get into after the whistle crap, scored a nice goal, hope he makes utica this year.

Still too early to say. Both look great at this point, just organizational need would really dictate. Canucks still have two gold winning Olympians on the blue line last I checked. Oilers... Can't name one other than Nurse to be honest.

Nurse is obviously a horse, but when a team like the Spoil decides that a guy needs 2 full seasons in A, it definitely raises eyebrows.

Sadly abols likely wont be a canuck as he has to re-enter the draft I think.

Gaunce was not slow and he plays every shift the same. He will be, at minimum, a solid 3rd line player, but i think he'll be a 2nd as hes got soild offensive skills.

I thought mccaan looked great last night, and jordan subban was the 2nd best dman behind nurse and probably the best canuck.

You are correct. Abols is going back into this next draft. Too bad, I liked his play in this tourney.

We'll have to see how Comets camp goes as well, but just from this tournament, I think guys like Cederholm, McEneny and Sautner could start in the ECHL. On the flip side, I think Hutton and Subban impressed enough to land regular gigs in Utica.

Comets D:

Pedan - Biega

Fedun - Subban

Hutton - Erhardt

Negrin

Cederholm/McEneny/Sautner

For arguments sake what if Bo and Nurse were available at our pick that year. Who would you have taken?

At the time I wanted nurse, but I would never go back now that we have Bo.

I still think nurse is more needed in van but I'm happy

Any news or word on whether Jackson Whistle, the young goalie prospect, has been offered a minor league contract by the Canucks? I thought he out played Witt during the prospect games.

Just remember that just because a goalie out plays another goalie (who was horrid) doesn't mean they earned a contract. With that being said.... He earned a contract haha

• 3 weeks later...

Posted by:
Jason Botchford

October 7, 2015. 11:48 pm • Section: The White Towel

BEST IF AIN’T BROKE

Led by Burke, it is the Flames who are looking to shift the oh-so popular Young Stars tournament out of our backyard.

The rookie tournament has been crushing it in the south Okanagan since 2010. Packed rinks. Great atmosphere. And even beaches in a spot that’s part sleepy retirement community and part BC-resort town. It’s supremely run, and the rink and area is the perfect size which has allowed the Canucks to morph their rookie camp into a destination event.

Now, the Flames want a piece of this action. They would like to move the tournament to Red Deer and, it seems, there’s a good chance it’s going to be hosted there on a rotating basis.

Damn. Can’t you just let us have nice things, Burkie?

Archived