Canucks Community

[Discussion] Young Stars Sept 11-14, 2015 Penticton

theminister

1:15 drives net
2:50 primary assist

4:49 in front of net

5:10 shot on goal

6:24 Fast break Chance

I think he has a good chance of being a top import player in the W this year. Good mix of size, speed and skill with pro experience. I think we will sign him actually.

Rodrigo...maybe the next Latvian fan favorite if we sign him. I think the Canucks have several roster spots available so this is certainly a good opportunity to impress for a pro contract.

He has a nice size and skill package. Looks like he may be playing with Portland this year.

http://www.winterhawks.com/article/hawks-sign-abols-ericson

Only one right shooting D-Man, Subban. How do the rest of you see the line combos:

Hutton - Subban

McEneny - Brisebois

Sautner - Cederholm

Olson - Neill

Shinkaruk / Cassels / Virtanen

Fox / McCann / Zhukenov

Zalewski / Gaunce / Gardiner

Stewart / Pettit / Martin

Labate , Abols,

Whistle

Witt

Shinkaruk McCann Virtanen

Gaunce Cassels Fox

Zalewski Labate Zhukenov

Stewart Petit Martin

Abols Gardiner

Hutton Brisebois

Subban Cederholm

McEneny Niell

Sautner Olsen

#Canucks Jared McCann wouldn't commit to being ready & able to play at Young Stars tournament. Side-stepped the question

He probably hasn't been given the green light yet so he can't say yes or no.

The Canucks are still monitoring his shoulder right now to see if he's fully healed. They may wanna give him an extra couple weeks just to be safe.

He's on the roster for it though.

He probably hasn't been given the green light yet so he can't say yes or no.

The Canucks are still monitoring his shoulder right now to see if he's fully healed. They may wanna give him an extra couple weeks just to be safe.

He's on the roster for it though.

With only 14 fwds listed on the roster, I would assume they are pretty confident he will be healthy.

I see no good reason to play McCann in this tournament. No need to risk re-injuring himself in youngstars or pre-season game play. Especially since he isn't competing for an NHL or AHL spot.

Every young player should be given a shot to at least try, even if they are a long shot. It's good experience for him at the very least, and will make him that much more comfortable at next years camp.

Can't bubble wrap these guys. If he's ready to go he's ready to go.

I'm surprised Blomstrand isn't on the list, while he is still a longshot I would of thought he is a better prospect than some of the invitees.

I hope that I prove to be wrong and Blomstrad comes to Utica and plays great but I don't have my hopes up. He is going into his final year of his ELC with the first two years buried in the ECHL. Last year he wasn't invited to training camp for either Vancouver or Utica and was just assigned to KZoo right from the start.

He is just talking up one of Vancouver's 50 NHL contracts and will probably never see the NHL. Should just cut bait like they did with Blain who couldn't find his way out of the ECHL.

I see no good reason to play McCann in this tournament. No need to risk re-injuring himself in youngstars or pre-season game play. Especially since he isn't competing for an NHL or AHL spot.

I don't think he has a chance either. Coaches and management may not think he has a chance, but I guarantee you that Jared does. High level athletes have to believe that they are the best in every situation. If he's medically cleared to play he will and his goal this year will be to make the Canucks, as it should be.

I don't think he has a chance either. Coaches and management may not think he has a chance, but I guarantee you that Jared does. High level athletes have to believe that they are the best in every situation. If he's medically cleared to play he will and his goal this year will be to make the Canucks, as it should be.

I'm sure he wants to play. All I am saying is if he hasn't been medically been cleared to play the last month (because of concussion like symptoms) they shouldn't risk him coming back early for a meaningless tournament. Concussions should be taken very seriously especially when a under 20 year old has received at least two which have taken him out of game play. McCann's goal this year (from his and the teams perspective) should be to play a full OHL season, make the WJC team, and improve offensively and defensively. If playing him in the tournament at all jeopardizes this goal, I personally would not do it. He hasn't been very healthy since we drafted him, a solid healthy year of development would be great.

I'm sure he wants to play. All I am saying is if he hasn't been medically been cleared to play the last month (because of concussion like symptoms) they shouldn't risk him coming back early for a meaningless tournament. Concussions should be taken very seriously especially when a under 20 year old has received at least two which have taken him out of game play. McCann's goal this year (from his and the teams perspective) should be to play a full OHL season, make the WJC team, and improve offensively and defensively. If playing him in the tournament at all jeopardizes this goal, I personally would not do it. He hasn't been very healthy since we drafted him, a solid healthy year of development would be great.

I though it was whiplash not concussion symptoms?

I hope that I prove to be wrong and Blomstrad comes to Utica and plays great but I don't have my hopes up. He is going into his final year of his ELC with the first two years buried in the ECHL. Last year he wasn't invited to training camp for either Vancouver or Utica and was just assigned to KZoo right from the start.

He is just talking up one of Vancouver's 50 NHL contracts and will probably never see the NHL. Should just cut bait like they did with Blain who couldn't find his way out of the ECHL.

I agree, he has to do something, I thought he was called up for 7 games or something last year?

I disagree with just cutting bait on him though.

I watched the series which I thought was 5 games not 6.

Cassels: came out of the series 2nd in OHL playoff scoring at 21 points in 31 games. 12 points in 5 games against the Otters. I

Give the entire team credit for their defensive game against McDavid but Cassels was the leader of that group without doubt.

On Oshawa ice McDavid managed 1 assist in 3 games. The entire Otter team managed 2 goals in the 3rd period for the series.

The significance of the Oshawa home ice stats is of course that was the opportunity to match Cassels against McDavid directly.

Also consider that Cassels played this series while injured.

Without doubt McDavid was dominated by the Oshawa group. Cassels was a huge part of that effort. We don't know how well he will transition to the NHL but from what I saw one has to be very optimistic. He does not have Horvat's size but he does think the

game at the same high level IMHO. I will be stunned if he is not a Canuck team leader in the future.

You do realize that cassels was 20 playing against 17 and 18 year olds right

I agree, he has to do something, I thought he was called up for 7 games or something last year?

I disagree with just cutting bait on him though.

He was called up last year during the playoffs once KZoo's season ended but never dressed for the Comets. In the Comets first season he started and ended the year in Utica and looked completely lost.

Archived