The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Two massive Star Wars-themed lands will be built at Disneyland and Disney World

aGENT

SWL300118.jpg

SWL203101.jpg

SWL180055.jpg.

tumblr_no7m8l5uzo1uoovpbo1_1280.jpg

http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2015/08/two-massive-star-wars-themed-lands-will-be-built-at-disneyland-and-disney-world/

Attractions will let you fly the Millennium Falcon and visit Mos Eisley spaceport.

While we're obviously hoping for some new, less-sucky Star Wars films starting with The Force Awakens this winter, the real reason we all got excited for Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm is finally happening: Disney is building a Star Wars theme park. Actually, it's building two Star Wars-themed attractions at its Disneyland (Anaheim, California) and Walt Disney World (Orlando, Florida) theme parks. At around 14 acres (5.6 hectares) each, they'll make up a huge part of each park. There's no word on when Star Wars might be coming to Disney parks in Europe or Asia, but hopefully it'll be soon.

While exact details on the attractions are scarce, each new theme park will feature at least two new rides, one of which will let you take control of the Millennium Falcon (!), and another that'll be set inside the wretched hive of scum and villainy that is the Mos Eisley cantina. The attractions will also introduce an as-yet-unnamed new planet from the intergalactic film saga.

"These new lands at Disneyland and Walt Disney World will transport guests to a whole new Star Wars planet, including an epic Star Wars adventure that puts you in the middle of a climactic battle between the First Order and the Resistance," said Disney CEO Bob Iger at the D23 Expo.

The CEO also promised that the attractions will be staffed and occupied by "local inhabitants" of various Star Wars worlds, and noted that they would be the "largest, single-themed land expansion ever" in Disney history. Construction will begin at Disneyland in 2017. A start date for Disney World has not been set.

While these new Star Wars attractions will be the biggest to ever appear at Disneyland and Disney World, they're not technically the first. The Star Tours ride—a motion simulator—opened in Disneyland in 1987, and later at Disney World, Disneyland Paris, and Disneyland Tokyo, featuring the likes of C3PO and R2D2. An updated version, Star Tours: The Adventures Continue, opened in 2011. The original Star Tours is still running at Disneyland Paris, but will eventually be replaced by the updated version as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCLwHh9lc60

hqdefault.jpg

I'm thrilled that the timing for this coincides nicely with taking my boys down at a not too young/not too old age. Great timing Disney :towel:

I'll now forgive you for not having Splash Mountain open in time when I went as a kid.

This is great news, I too am happy with the timing as my boys will be in the perfect age range to enjoy these parks when they are completed. Love it, I know a lot of Star Wars fans b1tched and moaned when Disney bought the franchise but I think this will be awesome, plus I think the movies Disney releases will be better in overall quality(cough dialogue cough).

Super excited to take my boys to star wars land.

Really looking forward to it. Disney did a great job updating Star Tours. The old one was decent, but the new version is amazing especially given the randomness, as you travel to (IIRC) 4 different locations, and each location had 3-5 random options. So, there were about 60-ish different overall experiences built into one ride. Putting the same ingenuity into Star Wars Land would not be a surprise here.

The downside will be the wait times, of course. I heard second-hand that Radiator Springs Racers (the highlight ride in Cars Land) had 8-9 hour waits on opening day. A fantastic ride that over a year later regularly has waits of 1-1.5 hrs, and the Fastpass tickets run out very early. I suspect it will be similar for the new Millenium Falcon ride.

I'm sure it will be worth it, and fingers crossed the wait times won't be quite as bad as Radiator Springs, given Star Wars Land will be in the bigger park with more ride choices.

To all those planning to come down, enjoy your trips, and hope your kids don't drive you too crazy while we all wait for this new Land to get built.

Hopefully they don't make Star Wars into some fairyland joke.

These guys know how to make a legit theme park. I don't like star wars, and don't typically like theme parks.. but I'm strangely excited to see this. I've been to Disneyland once and that ish is legit.

These guys know how to make a legit theme park. I don't like star wars, and don't typically like theme parks.. but I'm strangely excited to see this. I've been to Disneyland once and that ish is legit.

I think most would agree that nobody does an immersive, interactive experience as well as Disney. I don't see how this could remotely be bad. How many of us have been dreaming/fantasizing since we were little boys that we could immerse our selves in the Star Wars universe? Disney's going to now make that possible. I for one, CAN NOT WAIT.

I also don't really get the (very common) argument/complaint about Disney 'milking'/'Cash Cowing'the franchise either to be honest. They're a corporation that spent millions of dollars purchasing a successful franchise they felt they could expand upon with their own well documented talents and profit from. They're now doing that :shock::frantic::rolleyes:

They're a corporation that spent millions of dollars purchasing a successful franchise they felt they could expand upon with their own well documented talents and profit from.

They paid over 4 billion dollars to buy Lucas Film. That includes the Indiana Jones franchise as well which is going to get a reboot. Its gonna take a bit of time to milk that much cash out of these franchises but unless they really screw it up in a big way it should pay off with movies continuing endlessly.

Hopefully they don't make Star Wars into some fairyland joke.

star wars is a movie about a bunch of fantasy lands where mind control and laser swords are things, and people dress up in rubber costumes. fan conventions around the world are full of people embarrassing themselves through cosplay

what is star wars if not a fairyland joke?

at least disneyland will make it feel a bit more real

Archived