The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Young Canuck player comparisons : Bo Horvat vs Dylan Larkin

TheHockeyNerds

Nuchushkin was injured last year. He still looks like a great player!

I would much rather have Horvat. Did not Dallas have issues already wth that guy? Play me top line, and top minutes or I'm heading to the KHL? Is that no back check Nuk? Is that floater Nuk? Dallas has some really talented players, but they still need to check. Give Toews and his 60 or so points a year, which is what Horvat will do, over one way Nuk type players all the time.

It looks rings now like Larkin would be a more Elite offensive player, but I realistically see these as good comparisons

Horvat: Eric Staal (With more speed)

Larkin: Mikhail Grabovski

Horvat's top end upside is underrated IMO. Watching him weave down the wing at top speed against Calgary, obviously we know he is naturally thick, great strength, paces himself well, good hockey sense, but his hands are soft too and they are extremely quick. What people forget too is his ability on the ice from off ice ability, like how he can palm a medicine ball. Great forearm strength, his top end offensive potential gets questions because he's not a creative offensive player/playmaker, more of a cut to the net guy.

Horvat's top end offensive upside comes in question because he likely is not a creative offensive player or creative playmaker. But he's underrated IMO, watching him weave down the wing at top speed against Calgary, he obviously has a thick frame and he's very strong and has perfect hockey sense. But he also has soft hands and his stick speed is great, people forget his off ice ability that has translated onto the ice, he can palm a medicine ball, think of the forearm strength he has. Larkin is similar but is smaller and not as smart, but Larkin MAY be more of a creative playmaker where as Bo is more of a cut to the net guy. My comparisons would be...

Horvat: A faster Eric Staal

Larkin: Mikhail Grabovski

That's excellent sarcasm. It's nice to see fans realize now what a HUGE mistake drafting that (play me top minutes or I go to KHL) guy, would have been. As for Larkin, I like him, but Bo is bigger, more defensively sound, and clearly the better player. Larkin will become a solid number three. Bo is an excellent two already, and will be a top 5 in the league # 1 soon. No is great!

Ok now that's just bias

It might have been more of a coin flip a year ago, but after Horvat's past season, for me he's the clear favourite. By improving his skating and demonstrating that he can handle NHL pace, Horvat has largely caught-up in one of the few areas where Larkin once seemed to really hold an advantage. The only thing remaining for Horvat to prove is whether or not he can bring high-end playmaking and vision at the NHL level.

And Horvat holds a clear advantage over Larkin in size/strength, defensive prowess, the ability to play a "heavy" game, and his general offensive "bullishness" around the net.

Larkin might have better vision and generally higher end offensive ability. But as I mentioned earlier, it's possible that Horvat's next development stage will be proving that his ceiling is actually much higher than was previously believed by most of the pundits (if he can demonstrate consistent top-six productivity, especially on the playmaking side of the game).

I've read some interesting reports lately that suggest a fair number of independent amateur scouts and a even a few NHL teams' draft tables actually consider Horvat a top-5 pick in his year. Which lends some real credibility to Gillis's suggestion on draft day that he would have still taken Bo with Edmonton's #7 overall pick (a claim I pretty much rejected at the time), so there was no reason for the Canucks to seek a better return on Schneider (and risk facing him in an Oilers jersey). At this stage in the game, it really doesn't seem far-fetched to put Horvat in the 2013 top-5 (although I'd still have him a couple spots later than that).

Larkin, while certainly looking like a "riser" in his development since draft day, still hasn't raised his profile to the same level (even after a nice little 6 game performance in the AHL playoffs). Of course, that might all change once he's had more than just a "cup of coffee" in the professional ranks.

But for right now, and overall, Horvat's the clear favourite IMO.

Nice insight, totally agree with you

Saying we should have drafted Kopitar is terrible, Luc Bourdon was going to be a stud defenseman, up in the rankings with all the star players. A tragedy happened and God bless his soul.

I don't know, Kopitar is arguably a top 5 center in the game. Bourdon had 14 points in 41 games in the AHL and 2 points in 27 NHL games.

Not saying he wasn't a great prospect, but I think he'd have more of an Edler like career.

Saying we should have drafted Kopitar is terrible, Luc Bourdon was going to be a stud defenseman, up in the rankings with all the star players. A tragedy happened and God bless his soul.

Yup. That's a good point. Maybe we should just leave this one alone?

It might have been more of a coin flip a year ago, but after Horvat's past season, for me he's the clear favourite. By improving his skating and demonstrating that he can handle NHL pace, Horvat has largely caught-up in one of the few areas where Larkin once seemed to really hold an advantage. The only thing remaining for Horvat to prove is whether or not he can bring high-end playmaking and vision at the NHL level.

And Horvat holds a clear advantage over Larkin in size/strength, defensive prowess, the ability to play a "heavy" game, and his general offensive "bullishness" around the net.

Larkin might have better vision and generally higher end offensive ability. But as I mentioned earlier, it's possible that Horvat's next development stage will be proving that his ceiling is actually much higher than was previously believed by most of the pundits (if he can demonstrate consistent top-six productivity, especially on the playmaking side of the game).

I've read some interesting reports lately that suggest a fair number of independent amateur scouts and a even a few NHL teams' draft tables actually consider Horvat a top-5 pick in his year. Which lends some real credibility to Gillis's suggestion on draft day that he would have still taken Bo with Edmonton's #7 overall pick (a claim I pretty much rejected at the time), so there was no reason for the Canucks to seek a better return on Schneider (and risk facing him in an Oilers jersey). At this stage in the game, it really doesn't seem far-fetched to put Horvat in the 2013 top-5 (although I'd still have him a couple spots later than that).

Larkin, while certainly looking like a "riser" in his development since draft day, still hasn't raised his profile to the same level (even after a nice little 6 game performance in the AHL playoffs). Of course, that might all change once he's had more than just a "cup of coffee" in the professional ranks.

But for right now, and overall, Horvat's the clear favourite IMO.

Sid dropping knowledge once again.

It's a Canuck's board, for Canuck's fans. Of course I'm biased.

Fair enough, but there's times when you gotta put the bias aside for the sake of discussion.

Sid dropping knowledge once again.

Fair enough, but there's times when you gotta put the bias aside for the sake of discussion.

I accept that positive criticism. It's totally fair. I can say I like Monahan' offence. I think Bo is way ahead of him in the d side of the game. That's why I state Bo will surpass him. Bo's offence is blooming. I see a 60 + player, who is our future number one centre. I don't see Momohan ever developing the d side of his game to where he is a solid two way player. IMO, of course, Bo will be a top five centre in the league, along the lines of your Bergeron, Towes, Kopitar, etc. guys, who play a solid 200 foot game, and win championships.

I accept that positive criticism. It's totally fair. I can say I like Monahan' offence. I think Bo is way ahead of him in the d side of the game. That's why I state Bo will surpass him. Bo's offence is blooming. I see a 60 + player, who is our future number one centre. I don't see Momohan ever developing the d side of his game to where he is a solid two way player. IMO, of course, Bo will be a top five centre in the league, along the lines of your Bergeron, Towes, Kopitar, etc. guys, who play a solid 200 foot game, and win championships.

Personally, I have more tempered expectations of Horvat's offence but generally I agree with you. Monahan I can see developing into a very, very good two-way center. All the tools are in place and he has good leadership qualities as well.

For the record...I'm not a big Sean Monahan fan or anything (though, despite him being a Flame) I do like him as player. I just find the Boring Sean Monahan twitter account kinda funny. Not sure if this is true or not but I've heard it's actually a teammate of his with Calgary but nobody will tell him who it is.

https://twitter.com/boringmonahan

Archived