The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Young Canuck player comparisons : Bo Horvat vs Dylan Larkin

TheHockeyNerds

Personally, I have more tempered expectations of Horvat's offence but generally I agree with you. Monahan I can see developing into a very, very good two-way center. All the tools are in place and he has good leadership qualities as well.

For the record...I'm not a big Sean Monahan fan or anything (though, despite him being a Flame) I do like him as player. I just find the Boring Sean Monahan twitter account kinda funny. Not sure if this is true or not but I've heard it's actually a teammate of his with Calgary but nobody will tell him who it is.

https://twitter.com/boringmonahan

Yes, Bo will be a top five centre in the league, and a Cup winner. With that I agree. This is nice having honest discussion:)

Horvat's top end offensive upside comes in question because he likely is not a creative offensive player or creative playmaker. But he's underrated IMO, watching him weave down the wing at top speed against Calgary, he obviously has a thick frame and he's very strong and has perfect hockey sense. But he also has soft hands and his stick speed is great, people forget his off ice ability that has translated onto the ice, he can palm a medicine ball, think of the forearm strength he has. Larkin is similar but is smaller and not as smart, but Larkin MAY be more of a creative playmaker where as Bo is more of a cut to the net guy. My comparisons would be...

Horvat: A faster Eric Staal

Larkin: Mikhail Grabovski

I want to negative this. Please, don't be a homer. Just because you like Horvat and never seen Larkin play, doesn't give you the right to have an opinion on players.

Eric Staal is Eric Staal because of his size. Horvat is no where near Staal's size. Larkin isn't even close to Grabovski.

Don't do it again please. Ken Holland, compared Larkin to Steve Yzerman before anyone had an idea who Larkin was. A year later, Larkin is one of the league's top prospects. Larkin has an upper hand because he's a much faster player than Horvat. He's also much more skilled because of it. Larkin has more potential because he has better tools.

I want to negative this. Please, don't be a homer. Just because you like Horvat and never seen Larkin play, doesn't give you the right to have an opinion on players.

Eric Staal is Eric Staal because of his size. Horvat is no where near Staal's size. Larkin isn't even close to Grabovski.

Don't do it again please.

Don't act like you know more than me. I've been playing hockey my whole life under a coach who helped develop Troy Brouwer and Kevin Sundher. Eric Staal and Horvat look similar to me when they're in the attacking zone, Staal is taller but they're similar heaviness. And I have seen Larkin play a lot so don't just say I haven't seen him play. Larkin was described at the draft as a "Darren Helm with more offense". I think Grabovski is a good comparison and that they both have the same speed, skill, stride, and dedication. What's a good comparison then? You tell me.

Don't act like you know more than me. I've been playing hockey my whole life under a coach who helped develop Troy Brouwer and Kevin Sundher. Eric Staal and Horvat look similar to me when they're in the attacking zone, Staal is taller but they're similar heaviness. And I have seen Larkin play a lot so don't just say I haven't seen him play. Larkin was described at the draft as a "Darren Helm with more offense". I think Grabovski is a good comparison and that they both have the same speed, skill, stride, and dedication. What's a good comparison then? You tell me.

BUST :bigblush:

Playing hockey your whole life doesn't make you knowledgeable at hockey. Ask Mike Milbury.

Larkin is excellent defensively, so don't act like Horvat is superior in that department. Larkin played in the USHL at his draft and like many of players playing in the USHL, no one has an idea what they are getting. Even, a Darren Helm with more offense makes more sense than Grabovski. Grabovski has no defensive awareness and is an offense player only.

Larkin has elite abilities and superstar potential. Horvat is a 2nd liner at best. Staal isn't the same player without his size. Horvat may try to play a heavy game but will never be close to Staal, especially when every team is loaded with 6'4 Dman these day.

I'd like to see you develop a lot of AHL players or at least one Major Junior player.

Since you asked

Guys (of notable name) who I have played/trainned with of the years/summers

Tristan Jarry

Jordan Hollett (part of Canadas Program of Excellences for goalies)

Parker Wootherspoon

Connor Knapp (he worked at the same place I did last summer)

Mitch Newsome

Couple of 98s+ but it's to early to tell what will happen with their hockey careers (most are in Junior A/Major Junior)

Also got to take shots from

Colton Gillies

I have stated my credential on here a couple of times so i'm not going to bother repeating myself

Playing hockey your whole life doesn't make you knowledgeable at hockey. Ask Mike Milbury.

Larkin is excellent defensively, so don't act like Horvat is superior in that department. Larkin played in the USHL at his draft and like many of players playing in the USHL, no one has an idea what they are getting. Even, a Darren Helm with more offense makes more sense than Grabovski. Grabovski has no defensive awareness and is an offense player only.

Larkin has elite abilities and superstar potential. Horvat is a 2nd liner at best.

I still know a lot and can do a lot on the ice, oh and the Niedermayer's are my cousins, so I know even a little more. About Larkin.. Has he played in the NHL at all yet? Didn't think so. You're also seriously underating Horvat, they said at the draft Horvat is like Bergeron and has "huge upside". I'd like to see Larkin out muscle Horvat in a puck battle. I'd also like to see Larkin shut down Crosby and Malkin and beat Toews in the face off circle a lot.

I still know a lot and can do a lot on the ice, oh and the Niedermayer's are my cousins, so I know even a little more. About Larkin.. Has he played in the NHL at all yet? Didn't think so. You're also seriously underating Horvat, they said at the draft Horvat is like Bergeron and has "huge upside". I'd like to see Larkin out muscle Horvat in a puck battle.

So my cousins are in University, does that make me smarter than you? :bigblush:

I still know a lot and can do a lot on the ice, oh and the Niedermayer's are my cousins, so I know even a little more. About Larkin.. Has he played in the NHL at all yet? Didn't think so. You're also seriously underating Horvat, they said at the draft Horvat is like Bergeron and has "huge upside". I'd like to see Larkin out muscle Horvat in a puck battle.

Just because Neidermayer's are your cousin doesn't mean anything. You're still a nobody. It doesn't make you more knowledgeable than anyone else.

Horvat was said to be Bergeron at the draft. Larkin was said to be Yzerman. Do you type what you hear on TSN? or do you have any of you're own opinions?

Who cares if you played hockey? You're a nobody now like the rest of us. It means absolutely nothing.

I'm not trying to act superior, I'm saying you can't just say I don't know what I'm talking about and jump to conclusions. Playing hockey actually does translate to some off knowledge. Can you explain what an outside edge or punch stop is? I guess you're the one to call people nobodies?...

Since you asked

Guys (of notable name) who I have played/trainned with of the years/summers

Tristan Jarry

Jordan Hollett (part of Canadas Program of Excellences for goalies)

Parker Wootherspoon

Connor Knapp (he worked at the same placed I did last summer)

Mitch Newsome

Couple of 98s+ but it's to early to tell what will happen with their hockey careers (most are in Junior A/Major Junior)

Also got to take shots from

Colton Gillies

I have stated my credential on here a couple of times so i'm not going to bother repeating myself

Ok I'll give you credit there. I got you, you're a goaltender?

It's not a claim; it's a question.

It was worded as a question but you insinuated that there had been some previous discussion about Nichushkin being a handful. If you can pull that out of thin air you better have a source. He earned every bit of that top line time as well mind you.

Archived