The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Mix Exchange 2015

Lil B From The Pack

Crocodile Rock - Elton John

3/10 - not my type, i am a horrible being :[

Where Are Ü Now - Skrillex & Diplo

8.5/10 - jb = orgasmic

....sorry for the late review. I'm guessing GFY?

I'm not playing but I really enjoyed this one... looks something close to what mine would be :P

Dune - 'Heiress of Valentina':

Sounds like a song that auditioned to be a part of the Drive OST, but Nicolas Winding Refn rejected it because it was too cheerful.

4.5/10

Galantis - Runaway (U & I) [Premiere]:

Generic electric pop song. Repetitive, but I didn't hate it. Would listen again with friends while high, if I actually did drugs.

5.75/10

R3hab & NERVO & Ummet Ozcan - Revolution (Audien Remix) [OUT NOW]:

Pretty generic EDM song again. Loses a point for epileptic editing and obvious product placement for Monster in the music video.

4/10

Dimitri Vangelis & Wyman X Steve Angello - Payback (Original Mix):

Ugh

2/10

Arty - Around the World:

tumblr_nsvhi5P1mV1ss6s3po1_400.png

1.5/10

Jeremy Olander - Let Me Feel (Original Mix)

36G14Bk.gif

1.5/10

Kanye West - Flashing Lights ft. Dwele

Not too much to say about it. Didn't mind it, but nothing wowed me about this song. RIP Black guy in the trunk though.

6/10

Secret - Maroon 5

I'll be honest with you guys. I have a big soft spot for Maroon 5. I love a lot of the songs from "Songs About Jane", but I didn't dig this one. Just a plodding, boring song.

4.25/10

Summary:

I don't like EDM and House.

I'll guess it was GFY's mix.

I wonder who's mix this was :bigblush:

i'd actually have to agree with GlassJaw, i wasn't the happiest recieving a mix that wasn't underground rap or atleast underground i was kind of expecting participants to try to post Rap/Hip-Hop/RnB/Soul/Jazz/Black Mixes, i mean we are in a lil b thread... getting a $&!#ty review from somebody who wasnt really a fan of the themed genre wasn't a delight either.... idk

i'd actually have to agree with GlassJaw, i wasn't the happiest recieving a mix that wasn't underground rap or atleast underground i was kind of expecting participants to try to post Rap/Hip-Hop/RnB/Soul/Jazz/Black Mixes, i mean we are in a lil b thread... getting a crapty review from somebody who wasnt really a fan of the themed genre wasn't a delight either.... idk

your playlist had plenty of underground rap: Bangs, Ezu, r3jectz, Mindless Behaviour, Shiloh

i'd actually have to agree with GlassJaw, i wasn't the happiest recieving a mix that wasn't underground rap or atleast underground i was kind of expecting participants to try to post Rap/Hip-Hop/RnB/Soul/Jazz/Black Mixes, i mean we are in a lil b thread... getting a crapty review from somebody who wasnt really a fan of the themed genre wasn't a delight either.... idk

I might have something that will whet your musical appetite

Well. I'm not sure who my mix was from, but it's definitely more of the mainstream variety when it comes to electronic music. Some club-style electronic music, some dubstep, which I actually don't mind, but it's not something I really listen to. I don't listen to any of these producers really, but I can still appreciate it, and I do know all of them still.

Tiesto feat. Tegan & Sara - Feel It In My Bones - 3/10

Never really been a fan of Tiesto's music, ever. To be honest with you. Didn't really feel this one at all. Tegan and Sara are nice, but I again didn't really get into this song whatsoever.

Tryple - Digital Dreams 6/10

Didn't mind this. It wasn't anything special in terms of Dubstep, but I enjoyed the tune. I always liked the higher pitched snares. Usually more common in Glitch-Hop so it was kind of pleasant to hear.

Panda Eyes - Colorblind - 7.5/10

I've heard a bit of Panda Eyes. I'm sad you didn't use Highscore with his collab with Terminite. I would've gave that a 9/10 in an instant, but this was still really good. More a tune I can bump to, especially that second-half. I'm always a big fan of chopped-up vocals incorporated into EDM.

Datsik & Barely Alive - The Blastaz - 4.5/10

Again, not one I really felt. Extremely heavy modulation and subbass stabs but I was really hoping for some heavy sampling and mixing in this. I'm not a listener of Datsik so I'm not too certain of what his style consists of, but this was too plain for my liking.

Mord Fustang - Lick The Rainbow - 8/10

If there is any kind of House I can listen to, it's this kind. Complextro is what I think it's still called nowadays? I absolutely love it when it's mixed like this with light trance synths, heavy bass modulation and that opening lead at the start and break section? Got me all hype. This is the kind of stuff people can make with samples on a launchpad, and I wouldn't be surprised if he does this kind of stuff at his events as well.

Point Blank ft. Anna Yvette - Divide (Dirt Monkey Remix) - 5/10

Didn't really know how to feel about this one. I didn't really get into it at all. It was very minimalistic in my mind, which isn't a bad thing, but I didn't find any moment of the song that really caught my attention.

Excision & Datsik - Vindicate - 3/10

Two huge names in the EDM circle, but this just seemed too plain. Nothing ear-grabbing.

Flux Pavilion - I Can't Stop - 8/10

I can't not give this a high score. It's a classic for myself when I really got into electronic music. It was one of the first Dubstep tunes I listened to back when I was a UKF junkie on both Dubstep and DnB.

Doctor P - Flying Spaghetti Monster - 7.5/10

Doctor P.. I can definitely say he has some of the more interesting Dubstep. I really wonder what his inspiration with this tune was, but it definitely has that Doctor P synth (Wubwub) in there. I can't really put my finger on why, but for whatever reason, I find Doctor P's bass-filled dubstep a lot more entertaining to listen to than anyone I can think of off the top of my head.

Kid Sister - Pro Nails (Rusko Remix) - 6/10

Not bad. Nothing really special but it kind of had a classic feel to it. The modulated bass at least. I actually like the incorporation of the original piece and how Rusko implemented that.

Kai Wachi - Vivacity - 4.5/10

Ehhhhh........ I don't really know what to say about this one. Guess I was all dubstep'd out by this point. I was hoping for a surprise at the end ]:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkhUEN4RzhE

bruhhhhh.

I actually liked your mix though. Well, most of it.

Well. I'm not sure who my mix was from, but it's definitely more of the mainstream variety when it comes to electronic music. Some club-style electronic music, some dubstep, which I actually don't mind, but it's not something I really listen to. I don't listen to any of these producers really, but I can still appreciate it, and I do know all of them still.

Tiesto feat. Tegan & Sara - Feel It In My Bones - 3/10

Never really been a fan of Tiesto's music, ever. To be honest with you. Didn't really feel this one at all. Tegan and Sara are nice, but I again didn't really get into this song whatsoever.

Tryple - Digital Dreams 6/10

Didn't mind this. It wasn't anything special in terms of Dubstep, but I enjoyed the tune. I always liked the higher pitched snares. Usually more common in Glitch-Hop so it was kind of pleasant to hear.

Panda Eyes - Colorblind - 7.5/10

I've heard a bit of Panda Eyes. I'm sad you didn't use Highscore with his collab with Terminite. I would've gave that a 9/10 in an instant, but this was still really good. More a tune I can bump to, especially that second-half. I'm always a big fan of chopped-up vocals incorporated into EDM.

Datsik & Barely Alive - The Blastaz - 4.5/10

Again, not one I really felt. Extremely heavy modulation and subbass stabs but I was really hoping for some heavy sampling and mixing in this. I'm not a listener of Datsik so I'm not too certain of what his style consists of, but this was too plain for my liking.

Mord Fustang - Lick The Rainbow - 8/10

If there is any kind of House I can listen to, it's this kind. Complextro is what I think it's still called nowadays? I absolutely love it when it's mixed like this with light trance synths, heavy bass modulation and that opening lead at the start and break section? Got me all hype. This is the kind of stuff people can make with samples on a launchpad, and I wouldn't be surprised if he does this kind of stuff at his events as well.

Point Blank ft. Anna Yvette - Divide (Dirt Monkey Remix) - 5/10

Didn't really know how to feel about this one. I didn't really get into it at all. It was very minimalistic in my mind, which isn't a bad thing, but I didn't find any moment of the song that really caught my attention.

Excision & Datsik - Vindicate - 3/10

Two huge names in the EDM circle, but this just seemed too plain. Nothing ear-grabbing.

Flux Pavilion - I Can't Stop - 8/10

I can't not give this a high score. It's a classic for myself when I really got into electronic music. It was one of the first Dubstep tunes I listened to back when I was a UKF junkie on both Dubstep and DnB.

Doctor P - Flying Spaghetti Monster - 7.5/10

Doctor P.. I can definitely say he has some of the more interesting Dubstep. I really wonder what his inspiration with this tune was, but it definitely has that Doctor P synth (Wubwub) in there. I can't really put my finger on why, but for whatever reason, I find Doctor P's bass-filled dubstep a lot more entertaining to listen to than anyone I can think of off the top of my head.

Kid Sister - Pro Nails (Rusko Remix) - 6/10

Not bad. Nothing really special but it kind of had a classic feel to it. The modulated bass at least. I actually like the incorporation of the original piece and how Rusko implemented that.

Kai Wachi - Vivacity - 4.5/10

Ehhhhh........ I don't really know what to say about this one. Guess I was all dubstep'd out by this point. I was hoping for a surprise at the end ]:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkhUEN4RzhE

That's mine. Glad you enjoyed a few songs. Others I wasn't expecting much (like Blastaz) but I still wanted to include them because I really like dubstep, drumstep and mid tempo specifically.

Thanks for the review!

Also, why wouldn't people want to receive a mix that isn't something they listen to on the daily?

Yes, some stuff is very niche and relative to the mix curator only, but why would you want to receive music from a genre you already know really well? Chances are, you know the songs/artist already and you're not really expanding on your capacity to rate and analyze music objectively. As well, for the person who happens to rate your mix, you get to see their perspective on how they view the stuff you're listening to.

For example, I was really intrigued as to why GJ didn't like Incubus. I'm not a fan boy or forum guy of their's by any means but there's a general reception that I've personally seen that implies that they're a good, well-liked band, and not some sort of niche. So I wonder what the issue is there. Is it GJ's personal preference? Is there something lacking in the music, whether it be lyrics or the instruments, that I am overlooking due to bias?

I dunno, I feel this type of mix exchange is correct, unless the goal of it was supposed to be different.

Also, why wouldn't people want to receive a mix that isn't something they listen to on the daily?

Yes, some stuff is very niche and relative to the mix curator only, but why would you want to receive music from a genre you already know really well? Chances are, you know the songs/artist already and you're not really expanding on your capacity to rate and analyze music objectively. As well, for the person who happens to rate your mix, you get to see their perspective on how they view the stuff you're listening to.

For example, I was really intrigued as to why GJ didn't like Incubus. I'm not a fan boy or forum guy of their's by any means but there's a general reception that I've personally seen that implies that they're a good, well-liked band, and not some sort of niche. So I wonder what the issue is there. Is it GJ's personal preference? Is there something lacking in the music, whether it be lyrics or the instruments, that I am overlooking due to bias?

I dunno, I feel this type of mix exchange is correct, unless the goal of it was supposed to be different.

You are exactly on point.

I think there's a difference between getting a mix that is similar type music to what you listen to but from a different band/artist than music that you just don't like. For eg. most electronic music gives me a headache, I wouldn't be happy listening to that. If someone made a mix with bands/artists that are in the same vain as what I already listen to but I haven't heard before I would probably be really stoked about it. Even if it is a genre that you know well there are probably still a lot of bands that you don't know about.

Archived