The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

American passengers overpower gunman in France

Armada

Absolute heroes! They saved many lives.

Three people have been hurt after a heavily armed man opened fire on a train in northern France, before being overpowered by two American passengers.

The incident happened on the high-speed Thalys service near Arras, and the attacker was arrested at Arras station.

The interior minister praised the Americans, one of whom was seriously injured, as was another passenger.

The man arrested was a 26-year-old Moroccan. Anti-terrorist officers have taken over the case.

The weapons were said to include a Kalashnikov, a knife, an automatic pistol and cartridges.

One of the two people seriously hurt had a gunshot wound, the other a knife wound.

_85119751_85119750.jpgThe suspect was arrested at Arras station_85120634_028643714-1.jpgPolice stand near gun cartridges and a backpack at Arras station

French media said the arrested man was known to the intelligence services. The suspect has so far refused to talk to police in Arras.

Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel said the incident was a "terrorist attack".

French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve travelled to Arras in the wake of the attack.

He said: "As always where an act that could be terrorist in nature is involved, the greatest care and the greatest precision will be used."

He praised the Americans who overpowered the suspect.

Mr Cazeneuve said they were "particularly courageous and showed great bravery in very difficult circumstances", adding: "Without their composure we could have been confronted with a terrible incident."

French media said the passengers who overpowered the suspect were US Marines who had heard the man loading a weapon in a toilet cubicle and confronted him when he came out.

Mr Cazeneuve said the attack had taken place at 17:45 local time (15:45 GMT).

_85120632_francearras4640815.png

Mr Cazeneuve said he had also met French actor Jean-Hugues Anglade, who was lightly wounded when breaking glass to sound the alarm, and other passengers.

"My thoughts are with the wounded and with the passengers who are in a state of shock," Mr Cazeneuve said.

'Under control'

Initial reports suggested the second person seriously hurt was a Briton, but the UK Foreign Office later said there were no reports that British nationals were hurt.

Images shared on social media appeared to show a man being restrained on the station platform in Arras.

One photograph showed an injured man in a blue top and jeans lying on the floor of the train.

French rail firm SNCF said there had been 554 people on board the train.

_85120638_028643612-1.jpgFrench actor Jean-Hugues Anglade cut his hand smashing the alarm glass

"The situation is under control, the travellers are safe. The train stopped and the emergency services are on site," the Thalys official Twitter account tweeted.

Thalys said several trains had been delayed in the wake of the attack.

France has been on edge since the attack on the Charlie Hebdo magazine and a Jewish supermarket in Paris in January, which left 17 people dead.

And in June a man said to be inspired by the Islamic State group beheaded his boss and tried to blow up a gas plant in southern France.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34023361

Jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

Jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

A quick google search shows steel melts at "around 1370 degrees Celsius", fact, while starting turbine powered aircraft I've seen the ITT, or Inter Turbine Temp guage peg well over 1300 degrees Celsius during a few "hot starts". But what does jet fuel melting steel beams have to do with this story?

Youthful enthusiasm apparently....

Just interesting that for all the guns owned for defending, these two achieved the result unarmed and outgunned big time.

What? I assume these Marines were on leave, hence they were unarmed. As I stated in my previous post, right place, right time. They knew exactly what they were hearing and planned accordingly. Soldiers are also trained in hand to hand combat.

Oh, wait, I see! It's because the perpetrators hands were full with so many weapons that these brave men got the better of him, is that what your point is? So any schmo could've done what these guys did...without royally f*@ing it up?

What? I assume these Marines were on leave, hence they were unarmed. As I stated in my previous post, right place, right time. They knew exactly what they were hearing and planned accordingly. Soldiers are also trained in hand to hand combat.

Oh, wait, I see! It's because the perpetrators hands were full with so many weapons that these brave men got the better of him, is that what your point is? So any schmo could've done what these guys did...without royally f*@ing it up?

No no not at all.

These brave young men are true heroes. Let's be clear. An extremely brave, and selfless act.

What I found interesting, (and something missed, or overlooked), was that they did it unarmed.

Maybe if the everydayman/women trained themselves in hand to hand combat, or methods of diffusing a confrontation; violent situations involving gunplay could be avoided. Maybe there could be less guns as a result.

Sounds crazy, but even a minute percentage of people attempting this could reduce the number of guns.

At the very least, properly train oneself in gun use to avoid self injury, or the injury/death of innocents.

I just see this as an example of "mind over matter": two young men acted, automatically/instinctually without the thought of not carrying a weapon.

Trying to take as much positive out of this as possible - an example of potential.

No no not at all.

These brave young men are true heroes. Let's be clear. An extremely brave, and selfless act.

What I found interesting, (and something missed, or overlooked), was that they did it unarmed.

Maybe if the everydayman/women trained themselves in hand to hand combat, or methods of diffusing a confrontation; violent situations involving gunplay could be avoided. Maybe there could be less guns as a result.

Sounds crazy, but even a minute percentage of people attempting this could reduce the number of guns.

At the very least, properly train oneself in gun use to avoid self injury, or the injury/death of innocents.

I just see this as an example of "mind over matter": two young men acted, automatically/instinctually without the thought of not carrying a weapon.

Trying to take as much positive out of this as possible - an example of potential.

Fully agree.

Slightly off topic, but:

I also believe that If the US upholds their second amendment right to bear arms then I also believe that their regulars (Military personnel) should train their militia (armed civilians) while on leave or retired. This should be part of your "Homeland Security Firearms" training if you would certainly like to "bear arms" on US soil. Not only would it uphold their US constitutional right but it would also save quite a few lives every year due to carelessness or misuse of firearms due to inadequate training.

Hand to hand combat training would also be included...free of charge.

Fully agree.

Slightly off topic, but:

I also believe that If the US upholds their second amendment right to bear arms then I also believe that their regulars (Military personnel) should train their militia (armed civilians) while on leave or retired. This should be part of your "Homeland Security Firearms" training if you would certainly like to "bear arms" on US soil. Not only would it uphold their US constitutional right but it would also save quite a few lives every year due to carelessness or misuse of firearms due to inadequate training.

Hand to hand combat training would also be included...free of charge.

It makes so much sense that I just can't see it happening.

But seriously, I'm all for baby steps. Baby steps relative to Americas population and number of firearms is significant.

Your idea is great as well in that it could provide vets and civs to mix and form relationships... Helpful to both but especially vets imo.

It makes so much sense that I just can't see it happening.

But seriously, I'm all for baby steps. Baby steps relative to Americas population and number of firearms is significant.

Your idea is great as well in that it could provide vets and civs to mix and form relationships... Helpful to both but especially vets imo.

I actually came up with the idea from a debate in another forum about gun control where a poster raised the question about the Swiss and the number of firearms per capita there in relation to gun violence. Essentially, their entire adult population is armed, albeit with rifles but the difference is, everyone is trained.

I see handguns as the real issue in the US. The ease of access is astounding but no-one in the forum I was debating with (all American) even bats an eye. The fact that they don't seem to care that they're so easily accessible is quite troublesome. But hey, it's their right and, as they frequently reminded me, its' their country.

As I understand it, there were also 3 others who were also involved in stopping this guy who aren't getting as much media attention. One was American and friends with the two soldiers. One other was British, and the 5th was French.

Archived