The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation/Rumours] #FransonWatch

With Christian Ehrhoff finally signing (1 year, 1.5M), Franson takes the throne for best top-4 defenseman available via unrestricted free agency.

"Obviously I'd like something more than one year," Franson said on TSN 1040. "I'm sick of one-year deals."

- Boston Herald

Boston?

The Bruins make total sense and Franson recently confirmed they are one of the teams he has been in contact with.

Franson even reached out to former junior teammate Milan Lucic to ask him about Boston. The two played three seasons together for the Vancouver Giants

- Sportsnet

Back to Toronto?

Franson added he is “100 per cent” interested in returning to Toronto, reiterating comments he made to Sportsnet back in February immediately after the trade.

“I’ve always said that I loved it in Toronto,” Franson said. “I’m hopeful that Toronto’s in the mix come July 1 and my phone will definitely be on and hoping that they’re one of the teams that calls.”

- Sportsnet

Vancouver?

Franson spoke to Vancouver’s News 1130 Sports Monday about the possibility of joining the Canucks.

"It would be a very intriguing spot, 3 years with the Giants, Vancouver is a very interesting place to play."

"Playing in my home province, parents watching would be a great honour, the #Canucks in the mix would be fun."

"I want to play in roles that make me earn the money we are going to be asking for, the powerplay role is huge for me."

- Sportsnet

Buffalo or Phoenix?

The Coyotes could be among three clubs with interest in Franson. WKBW.com claims the Sabres are also pursuing the 27-year-old rearguard.

- THN

apparently, bartkowski is a good skater and puck mover...franson...not so much...benning knows both talents...he choses bartkowski.

that's good enough for me.

Lol no. He "chose"/was forced Bartkowski because of $ restrictions. If Franson would sign for that much he'd be in Rogers Arena practicing as we speak.

Franson sucks. I dunno why people still think he's good. Big and slow like a slug.

Nashville acquired him because he used to play in the Nashville system, yet he still sucked too much to be relied on and ended up being a healthy scratch/sheltered/limited minutes.

We would have space had he not blown money on Bartkowski and traded Bonino...

-___- :@

Dude. Seriously. Are you going to post your deception over and over again on every single departed-with player that ever put a Canucks jersey on?

Seriously. Only stupid people concentrate on what they cannot change.

I'd rather have Sutter than Franson for 1 year.

No team wants to give him a long term deal, and I don't blame them.

I'd give franson 5ish AAV for 4 years.

Keep Bonino at the steal of the century for 1.9 for two more years

Trade clendening for a pick

Home town boy, played his Jr here... Imagine the adrenaline he'd have. He's exactly what we need. A big body dman that can throw bruisers. He's also extremely reliable defensively.

His time in Nashville is not a good example of his talent.

if buffalo picks him up then theyre are near locks for playoffs

Metro

- Wash, Isles, Jackets

Atlantic

- Tampa, Habs, Detroit

Wild Card

- Penguins, Rangers

With Florida a strong chance of jumping into the 8 and Buffalo having to leap frog Philly (10th seed) & Ottawa to be a chance.

I have Buffalo 12th. I agree a pretty good fit as they gave up Zhadorov and don't really have a replacement. It is defence holding them back. Franson was not so good however, he could get 12th seed Toronto over the line last year...

Is Florida an option? They're pretty ok with Ekblad / Goodbranson / Petrovic down the right side. Franson certainly perks up the 2knd PP behind Ekblad. But I'm not sure they prefer him playing actual defence to the other two?

“I’m hopeful that [...Enter Team Name Here...] is in the mix come July 1"

"I want to play in roles that make me earn the money we are going to be asking for, the powerplay role is huge for me."

"Obviously I'd like something more than one year," Franson said on TSN 1040. "I'm sick of one-year deals."

Comes across as kind of whiny and self entitled. Not doing a very good job of selling himself, IMO.

Home town boy, played his Jr here... Imagine the adrenaline he'd have. He's exactly what we need. A big body dman that can throw bruisers. He's also extremely reliable defensively.

Bonino steal of the century? Tavares 5.5 and Mcdonagh 4.7 have better contracts lol.

Bones is a below average skating 3rd liner who, more than likely, wasn't going to be here after his contract. Sutter is under contract here for 6 more years. You better get use to him bud.

Over exaggerating Franson's play, especially defensively. He's like Edler but worse defensively and slightly better offensively.

We would have space had he not blown money on Bartkowski and traded Bonino...

-___- :@

Yuck. You want to give Franson a multi-year deal with the Free Agents available next year?

100x would rather throw our cap at a Seabrook or something than Cody fricken' Franson.. Yuck.

EDIT: Goligoski, Johnson (Erik), Yandle.. All player's I'd rather have than Franson. Hell, even Byfuglien would be better. Not all of these guys will make it, of course, but at least some of them will.

I sometimes wonder what planet you're on. You're a very discrete troll I'll give you that but I'm surprised no one has caught on yet.

I have conflicting feelings on Franson.

I mean, it seems like he has attitude problems or some off-ice issue considering how hard it was for Nashville to try to deal him in the first place. At that point, there were rumours swirling around that he was demanding 6.5M (even if it wasn't quite that high, wtf?). And now he's "sick of 1 year deals"—earn your keep bud.

Plus, he's not a super mobile defenseman by any means.

On the flipside, he's from BC, said really respectable things about Vancouver, was great for the Giants. Doesn't seem to have too much trouble toping 30 points. He's big. And he's buddy's with Lucic, who the Canucks might try to lure next season. Besides last season, his playoff stats look alright.

I wouldn't mind him on a 1-year contract in Vancouver, as a kind of tryout with a verbal agreement for a future contract, but would he sign for ~1M? I doubt it.

Archived