The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation/Rumours] #FransonWatch

Firstly, Franson can really shoot the puck, but that does not make him a PP QB, not even close.

Secondly, Benning has been very clear about wanting speed. How can so many overlook this?

Thirdly, doesn't anyone who loves this guy wonder why no GM wants him? (unless its at 1 for 1 as a plan B)

Fourthly, the fact the he put up a few points is the only reason anyone knows his name. He is totally average at everything but shooting.

Fifthly, just because we are lacking on the back-end hardly means that we should get a guy marginally better. If he is, which is debatable.

Lastly, I can't believe anyone can write the word Seabrook with a straight face. Take off your Nucks hat, and pretend to be Bowman....you really don't want to pay Seabrook?

Agreed on all points, esp the last one. I find it absolutely hilarious so many people on this forum think Seabrook is going to make it to FA. :lol:

Firstly, Franson can really shoot the puck, but that does not make him a PP QB, not even close.

Secondly, Benning has been very clear about wanting speed. How can so many overlook this?

Thirdly, doesn't anyone who loves this guy wonder why no GM wants him? (unless its at 1 for 1 as a plan B)

Fourthly, the fact the he put up a few points is the only reason anyone knows his name. He is totally average at everything but shooting.

Fifthly, just because we are lacking on the back-end hardly means that we should get a guy marginally better. If he is, which is debatable.

Lastly, I can't believe anyone can write the word Seabrook with a straight face. Take off your Nucks hat, and pretend to be Bowman....you really don't want to pay Seabrook?

This. Won 3 cups with chicago, lol at the thought of them not resigning their #2 defenseman

Franson is a slow, poor man's Edler and hence redundant.

I can not emphasize 'slow' enough. This team is moving towards a fast, tenacious puck pursuit game that requires everyone to be at least a competent if not excellent skaters (short of the Sedins who are elite puck possession players and not going anywhere regardless).

This management just dumped Garrison last year who's also a similar (imo superior) player to Franson. Do we really think they'd make any attempt to pursue him? Doesn't remotely fit team needs or direction.

I was interested in Matt Irwin, but apparently Benning wasn't.

Of the remaining group I like Schlemko, and maybe Ryan Wilson (to put through waivers). But I think the team is serious about giving Corrado a real shot. In any case, I am sure we will see a rash of injuries and signings around the league as training camps progress.

That broke my heart. Irwin is a fantastic player and Iv had the pleasure of meeting his family and seems like a great guy. I really thought he could have been a top 4 for us going forward. Sigh...

I was interested in Matt Irwin, but apparently Benning wasn't.

Of the remaining group I like Schlemko, and maybe Ryan Wilson (to put through waivers). But I think the team is serious about giving Corrado a real shot. In any case, I am sure we will see a rash of injuries and signings around the league as training camps progress.

That broke my heart. Irwin is a fantastic player and Iv had the pleasure of meeting his family and seems like a great guy. I really thought he could have been a top 4 for us going forward. Sigh...

I can not emphasize 'slow' enough. This team is moving towards a fast, tenacious puck pursuit game that requires everyone to be at least a competent if not excellent skaters (short of the Sedins who are elite puck possession players and not going anywhere regardless).

This management just dumped Garrison last year who's also a similar (imo superior) player to Franson. Do we really think they'd make any attempt to pursue him? Doesn't remotely fit team needs or direction.

I agree Garrison is better. But they cleared him to make room for Sbisa. IMO, we would have been better off taking another prospect or pick. But ce la vie... edit; I guess that's not totally true. Blowing off his cap hit did help elsewhere.

Franson is still different in that;

- He is a right handed shot.

- And a big body.

- Yes slow.

- Still decent with the puck.

It makes him not a top pairing guy. TML used him on a top pair; but that was more indicative of the fact they sulked. A 2knd pairing guy at home where he can be sheltered. Say with Hamhuis or Bartkowski who do have speed. 3rd pair on the road. Where he can still be loaded onto the PP and special situations offensively. But still useful.

Our current right side (Tanev / Corrado / Weber) is so good, we will probably play Bartkowski, who has zero NHL goals career to date, on his off side. We'll see how that goes? Nor does Bart, mid sized at best, solve that our right side is unfortunately kind of small. And only Corrado is physical, but again just approaching mid sized. Franson is big, balances match ups in the west, hits and can clear the net. Has a big shot, better than Weber's and is decent with the puck. Our side improves with Franson and we get to run 8 NHL D.

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Franson

Sbisa Corrado

Bartkowski / Weber

We just don't have the cap space. <_<

Oh well. We were not going to win this year anyway. Save that and any new money for someone better next year!

Garrison is also an extremely slow skater

Been looking forward to seeing Pedan for a while now. Not just tough, but he can skate, move the puck, and has a good shot. Also looking forward to how Cederholm does in the pros. Also has good size and he loves hitting and mixing it up, so if under Green he can become a solid stay-at-home punishing crease-clearer, he'll be very welcome in the bottom-4.

Garrison is also an extremely slow skater

Yes he is.

Other than edler who on the backend can shoot the puck on net? QB a PP?

Yeah- it's gonna be a long year

Weber

Weber's also not slow. He certainly lacks meaningful size and grit and is not/borderline top 4 calibre but he's more useful than Franson IMO.

As I understand it, before Franson was traded from Toronto, he was offered a 5yr/25m deal. Now, late into the summer, with no teams really having cap space he's about to settle on a 2 year deal? Sad really, could have had guaranteed bank

Toronto actually ended up on the smart end of the stick that time. Would have been quite fitting for him to have got that contract from them :lol: Continued mediocrity :towel:

Archived