The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation/Rumours] #FransonWatch

If you sign someone to a one year contract can you offer them an extension during the season? I can't remember how that works but it could be a way for a cash strapped team to circumvent the cap for a season.

500k for this season with a gentlemen's agreement of a 5yr/25m extension in January.

If you sign someone to a one year contract can you offer them an extension during the season? I can't remember how that works but it could be a way for a cash strapped team to circumvent the cap for a season.

500k for this season with a gentlemen's agreement of a 5yr/25m extension in January.

I was thinking the same thing, don't know the rule on it or whether you are "technically" not allowed to talk extension until after the player is signed. If that is the only limitation I am sure there are ways around it like even just suggesting you are looking for someone who wants to be with the team long term.

$500k is too low (below league minimum I think)... but a $1-1.5 million deal for Franson and then a 2-4 year extension at $4-4.5 million per would be a fine deal for a team to take on.

Archived