The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2015 and the problem with 17

vanforever

Screw this home sentimentality crap for Lucic. Yeah he is only 27 but has little to no speed, skates like a stone really. Not that good of a fighter or enforcer. He takes bone head penalties all the time .....sorry pass

I was thinking this at first, but I have waffled on this position. I think that his intimidation factor alone would give this team some respect from opponents in the playoffs, and frankly with the young kids coming up we could use someone who actually scares the opposition. I love Dorsett to death, by far the most heart on the team, but he does not scare opponents. The bruins played this style even though most of them were slow and thuggish, it got them to 2 finals. Looch can still score 20 and be a factor in the physical game, just surround him with speed like Boston did.

I was thinking this at first, but I have waffled on this position. I think that his intimidation factor alone would give this team some respect from opponents in the playoffs, and frankly with the young kids coming up we could use someone who actually scares the opposition. I love Dorsett to death, by far the most heart on the team, but he does not scare opponents. The bruins played this style even though most of them were slow and thuggish, it got them to 2 finals. Looch can still score 20 and be a factor in the physical game, just surround him with speed like Boston did.

I can agree he is definitely intimidating but for all the wrong reasons. In the playoffs the game is called nearly opposite of the reg season so his antics would not go unnoticed. I am very curious how he will play in the west. AS for Dorsett not scaring anyone ? I bet his nightly opponents are def keeping their heads up :)

I can agree he is definitely intimidating but for all the wrong reasons. In the playoffs the game is called nearly opposite of the reg season so his antics would not go unnoticed. I am very curious how he will play in the west. AS for Dorsett not scaring anyone ? I bet his nightly opponents are def keeping their heads up :)

In reality, Lucic rarely gets penalized in the playoffs. In his last 41 playoff games (since 2011-12), he has a total of 26 PIMs - or 0.63/game.

In the same timeframe:

Alex Burrows, 12 GP, 24 PIMs - 2.00/game

Daniel Sedin: 12 GP, 14 PIMs - 1.17

Jannick Hansen: 15 GP, 16 PIMs - 1.07

Alex Edler: 15 GP, 14 PIMs - 0.93

Henrik Sedin: 15 GP, 10 PIMs - 0.67

(Note - I didn't count Burrows' 10 minutes for the misconduct in his last game.)

Nice first post. Welcome. Positive thinking is what this place needs.

I'm all in on signing Lucic next summer. But I think LA will move him at the deadline if they don't have a deal in place for him by then so it will all look a little different in terms of where he wants to sign in a year.

Screw this home sentimentality crap for Lucic. Yeah he is only 27 but has little to no speed, skates like a stone really. Not that good of a fighter or enforcer. He takes bone head penalties all the time .....sorry pass

I'm thinking that Prust and Dorset are not top six guys. Lucic is a top six guy. He would look really good patrolling our left side on the first or second line for a while.

Horvat, Lucic, Virtanen

I like the idea of signing Milan just because you do need vets, and the twins won't be around forever. Sutter and Milan is a nice start to the gap between the twins and the young guns taking the reins.

I'm all for it. Despite my 2011 feelings.

No, but behavior like that is childish and the Canucks don't need that kind of BS going on. It's embarrassing.

Hypothetically, would you want Lucic if he didn't have those incidents you mentioned? I like Burrows, and think he's been a great Canuck, but he bit a guy's finger, and made some bad choices, when calling out referees, that some feel hurt our team's future success. I'm not disagreeing with you, that Lucic has a history, but so do some other players, and one of them is a current great Canuck.

It's hard to separate those acts from the player since he went out of his way to do it and he did it on several occasions. It's different than Burrows bite (which is off side imo) but the guy did stick his finger in his mouth so it's a much more passive act. So, I would consider the nard shots to be a step beyond Burrows' bite.

Having said that, Lucic is a beast and any team would want him. He's not fast which is something Benning is looking for. Speed wouldn't be such a factor if he were playing with the Sedins.

The other question that gets asked is Lucic still a 60 point man? Last year was probably just an off year. He is still only 27 even though he has played 8 seasons in the NHL.

I have my doubts whether Lucic would be worth the salary he will be offered next year. He will certainly want to score big because his present cap hit is only $3.25.

It's hard to separate those acts from the player since he went out of his way to do it and he did it on several occasions. It's different than Burrows bite (which is off side imo) but the guy did stick his finger in his mouth so it's a much more passive act. So, I would consider the nard shots to be a step beyond Burrows' bite.

Having said that, Lucic is a beast and any team would want him. He's not fast which is something Benning is looking for. Speed wouldn't be such a factor if he were playing with the Sedins.

The other question that gets asked is Lucic still a 60 point man? Last year was probably just an off year. He is still only 27 even though he has played 8 seasons in the NHL.

I have my doubts whether Lucic would be worth the salary he will be offered next year. He will certainly want to score big because his present cap hit is only $3.25.

Excellent post. I agree that Lucic has done a lot of nasty stuff, that really did cross the line, but I still want him. I'm thinking we can pay him more than he's worth, because there will be several ELCs on the team. I think Milan is actually pretty fast in a straight line. It's getting going, and edging where he's weak. Also, I'm thinking his 27, because of how he plays, might be a bit older than a high skill guy. I think I read, or heard, somewhere that the tough power forwards can age (relatively) faster. So how about a shorter term - 4 years, and a bigger dollar - 7 million?

I'm so torn on Looch being a Canuck for all the reasons already stated. But if signing him can elongate Sedins' careers by a year or two...then...hmm...do it?

Love the twins, wish they had Lucic here from the big guy's draft year till now. The twins deserve to have him watching their backs. I wonder how Milan would have answered the Cheap elbow Daniel took from Keith?

In reality, Lucic rarely gets penalized in the playoffs. In his last 41 playoff games (since 2011-12), he has a total of 26 PIMs - or 0.63/game.

In the same timeframe:

Alex Burrows, 12 GP, 24 PIMs - 2.00/game

Daniel Sedin: 12 GP, 14 PIMs - 1.17

Jannick Hansen: 15 GP, 16 PIMs - 1.07

Alex Edler: 15 GP, 14 PIMs - 0.93

Henrik Sedin: 15 GP, 10 PIMs - 0.67

(Note - I didn't count Burrows' 10 minutes for the misconduct in his last game.)

To add to your point, most of the penalties taken by the Sedins, Hansen, Edler are soft penalties...i.e., tripping, hooking, holding. At least when Burr takes PIMs in the playoffs, he's usually got a dance partner (though he's often the one taking the extra penalty). Lucic's PIMs are like Burrows' PIMs. They usually take an opposing player to the box with them.

A player like Lucic makes each player on the whole team play 10 to 15 pounds heavier than they are...I'm betting that Bergeron, Krejci, Pastrnak suddenly become a lot softer without Lucic in the line up or on their line.

A player like Lucic makes each player on the whole team play 10 to 15 pounds heavier than they are...I'm betting that Bergeron, Krejci, Pastrnak suddenly become a lot softer without Lucic in the line up or on their line.

Could't have said it any better. This is what we need in the playoffs, and the Sedins have never had that type of security. My guess is the B's will be a long way off from acting tough this year.

Despite all that has happened, since the 2011 final. I think deep down, Lucic still wants to play for the team who he grew up watching as a kid. It's always been his and his father's dream to see him suit up for the Canucks and now with the passing of his father this summer. I wouldn't be surprise if he took a lesser salary to sign with the Canucks, next off-season.

I think it's time for people to forgive and forget.

This team needs Lucic, and Lucic needs the team.

I just read several positive threads in a row, on bringing Lucic to the Canuck's, because he would make our team better, and how. I agree 100% with these posts. Our whole team (IMO) would welcome him, because the players know he makes their chances of winning too.

Archived