The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Extension]. Flames sign D Giordano to six-year, $40.5M extension

tera_ha

Two years too long. Should have paid a bit higher cap and reduced term. I know, easier said than done but those last two years are terrible. The game is headed towards speed and skill again. It'll be an albatross contract for the last 2 to 3 years.

Maybe you should think before you talk champ.

Most sports people/ media in Calgary think Hudler will be traded or walk as his age and slow down in skating make a new contract a risk especially given he likely wants a pay day.

I never said Ortio was readyfor 65 games but they certainly won't be spending 8 million dollars on goalies after this year.

And ya Sam Bennett is pretty darn good, not sure how you forgot him they also have a few prospects ready to play in the nhl very soon thus making Hudler expendable.

Agree to disagree.

Wadr, whether or not you would trade any of those guys for Giordano doesn't contribute a great deal of weight or validity to your point - it's mere opinion/preference - which we all have - but doesn't trump objective outcomes. If you want to split hairs over semantics be my guest - but you're going to have a hard time qualifying an argument that Giordano isn't the best defenseman in the NHL over the past two seasons - there isn't really the substance there (you haven't provided any at all) to substantiate that claim.

I've looked at many stats (corsi, fenwick, wowy, and all their derivatives) and granted, Gio does well statistically. But it's very late on the east coast where I am right now so I'll boil it down to a basic question:

You get one defenceman for the next 3 (won't even use the full 6 year deal to eliminate some inevitable age related decline ) , Weber, Keith, Doughty, Hedman, anyone else, or your guy.....which one?

Seems too high, but I am not the one signing his cheques. 31 and he has had 2 good seasons.

Actually every season he has played here he has been great, at all ends of the ice. As a Flames fan I am really happy with the extension, both cap hit and term. Granted the guy has injury problems, but his on and off ice leadership is invaluable, and Calgary's cap situation is in excellant standing both now and in years to come, when it comes time for the young guys to take pay raises, alot of the older guys will be finishing their contracts, getting traded at deadlines, etc. Things are certainly looking up, we here in Calgary are quite ecstatic with the deals Treiliving has been able to pull off during his short tenure here, not to mention the drafting thats occurred here, not just during BT's tenure, but over the past 5 years has really set Calgary up to succeed today and well into the future, and Gio is the guy to lead the wave of youth into prosperity.

I've looked at many stats (corsi, fenwick, wowy, and all their derivatives) and granted, Gio does well statistically. But it's very late on the east coast where I am right now so I'll boil it down to a basic question:

You get one defenceman for the next 3 (won't even use the full 6 year deal to eliminate some inevitable age related decline ) , Weber, Keith, Doughty, Hedman, anyone else, or your guy.....which one?

Oh oh oh, can I play?!?

Ekblad.

Luca sbisa

Gio is the model TWD in this league. Not a Flames fan in any sense, but I am impressed with what they have been doing.

I feel like the contract his agent was after was something like 9mill x 4 years, but this one spreads it out a bit longer and gives them a bit more flexibility during their window to win it. Plus the style game he plays is one where he could very well be an effective D and mentor into his late 30's.

I don't know about everyone else but I'm happy the Flames are on the rise. They were our best rivalry for a long time, and that rivalry is being renewed.

I used to love it during the WCE days when we would play the Flames with Iginla and Kiprusoff in their prime. Those were fun games to watch and meant so much more when we beat them. I think it made us a better team overall too because points weren't gifted to us.

I don't know about everyone else but I'm happy the Flames are on the rise. They were our best rivalry for a long time, and that rivalry is being renewed.

I used to love it during the WCE days when we would play the Flames with Iginla and Kiprusoff in their prime. Those were fun games to watch and meant so much more when we beat them. I think it made us a better team overall too because points weren't gifted to us.

Colorado too. I think it was Ohlund who said "we can't take them for granted. We need to show them respect." or something to that effect.

Yup. That Northwest Division was dynamite. Pretty much every incarnation of the Smythe was pretty damn good too.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=30&s=13&f1=2014_s&f2=5v5&f4=D&f7=40-&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=30&s=29&f1=2014_s&f2=5v5&f4=D&f7=40-&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

Points per game among D:

1) Karlsson .80

2) Giordano .79

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=30&s=63&f1=2014_s&f2=5v5&f4=D&f7=40-&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

Sounds like a hometown discount to me. He could have easily gotten $7.5M+ on the open market.

Yeah? Well if Benning had done a deal like that for a 32 year old (he is 32 on 3rd Oct) with injury concerns he would have been absolutely hammered on here. He hasn't done a complete season since 2009-10 and has one playoff season of 4 games to his name back in 2006-7

CDC double standards stink up these boards

Archived