The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Extension]. Flames sign D Giordano to six-year, $40.5M extension

tera_ha

Hahahaha

If Giordano made it to the market he'd get offered 9 million+ for 7 years by like multiple teams.

I disagree not many gms are going to pay a guy that had one good season 9 for 7 especially considering his injury history. And his age of 33 . He would have gotten a two or three year deal at best. There's no home town discount what he gave up in fast money he more than made up for in term. Over payed and they will be regretting it in a few years when young players contacts expire and they need cap space.

Who in there right mind would trade for a 6.75 cap hit for a 36 year old d man.

It's a bad deal good thing there was a lock out. Gms/ owners still providing the stupidity that caused the other ones.

I disagree not many gms are going to pay a guy that had one good season 9 for 7 especially considering his injury history. And his age of 33 . He would have gotten a two or three year deal at best. There's no home town discount what he gave up in fast money he more than made up for in term. Over payed and they will be regretting it in a few years when young players contacts expire and they need cap space.

Who in there right mind would trade for a 6.75 cap hit for a 36 year old d man.

It's a bad deal good thing there was a lock out. Gms/ owners still providing the stupidity that caused the other ones

So much wrong with this post. Wrong from start to finish.

You repeat the myth that he's had one good season - suggests you have no idea who you're talking about.

He's not 33. Simple fact.

This was a hometown discount - there's not two buts about it.

Who would tradte for a 36 year old D man making 6.75 million? I dunno - ask around whether anyone would have wanted Zdeno Chara a couple years ago.

He is 38 and has three years remaining at a higher cap hit than Giordano.

Gonchar, Timmonen, Boyle, Visnovsky...nope, no one wanted those guys.

So much wrong with this post. Wrong from start to finish.

You repeat the myth that he's had one good season - suggests you have no idea who you're talking about.

He's not 33. Simple fact.

This was a hometown discount - there's not two buts about it.

Who would tradte for a 36 year old D man making 6.75 million? I dunno - ask around whether anyone would have wanted Zdeno Chara a couple years ago.

He is 38 and has three years remaining at a higher cap hit than Giordano.

Gonchar, Timmonen, Boyle, Visnovsky...nope, no one wanted those guys.

I'm not sure I disagree with him all that much.

Yes, Giordano is not 33, now, but he will be when he earns his first paycheck on the new contract (his b-day is Oct 3, and the contract starts next year).

You list Gonchar and the rest, but most of them were pretty mediocre clearly declining when they were 36, and IMO not worth their 6M+ cap hit. Chara got his contract after winning the Cup, and hasn't missed significant games to injury in his NHL career.

Good on him for getting a good contract, but I think this is a bad deal, long term, for the Flames. Even if they can afford it, it would be money better spent elsewhere if Gio is playing 40-50 games/yr and has lost a step and can't contribute as much offensively.

Edit: reconsidered "pretty mediocre", but cap hit comment still stands

Oh oh oh, can I play?!?

Ekblad.

Yeah, no kidding!!

Ekblad in a heartbeat. I'd have no issue paying Weber his 7.8 for what he brings to the game (as much as I hate the guy!) instead of Gio.

PK Subban is too much of a whiner/clown/fillintheblank for me, but it's hard to argue with his production. Hope little brother Jordan didn't pick up too many bad habits from PK.

Aaron Ekblad!!! Hands down!

Aaron Ekblad played appropriately sheltered teenager minutes last year - 60.8% offensive zone starts, -1.237 quality of competition - 2nd highest offensive zone starts on the Panthers, 2nd weakest quality of competition. Scored 39 points in 82 games. Not blad for a teenager.

Softest minutes on the Panthers though kids. Because he's a teenager.

I'm not surprised some of you youth culture kids would think he's already in a class with Giordano - but you're going to have to wait a few years. The question here is who is better now - not whether Ekblad might be a number one in 3 or 4 years.

I love sports. 31 is 'old' to some. :P

I guess Wideman is as good as gone.

Maybe not next year but in the 2016-17 season when he is an upcoming UFA.

Still could net the Flames a solid return.

Ive been thinking the same, Wideman is sort of expendable now. Brodie can do everything Wideman can offensively, and Brodie can actually play in his own end. Likewise Hamilton can rush the puck, create awesome first passes, fire a blast from the point, AND play in his own end. Gio obviously plays well in both ends. Russell is an absolute beast defensivly, and still put up 30ish points last year too. Those 4 are the obvious top 4, which puts Wideman in a third pairing role, which he's not really suited for, as he isnt very solid in his own end. I'm fine with a Wideman Engelland bottom pairing this season, but I hope, and think, that plans are to ship Wideman out either this coming deadline, or in the offseason, clearing up cap and making some room for some of Calgarys defensive prospects to jump in. Brandon Hickey is showing real promise, and, while still too young to judge, Kylington really impressed me at the Flames prospect camp, as well Keegan Kanzig could be ready to jump in and be a real solid third pairing shut down guy.

Calgary's defense is shored up both for now, and for the future, and I think Wideman would make great trade bait for someone who needs an offensive Dman who can play top 4 minutes, if required.

Archived