The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where do you see the Canucks by 2020?

supermanbieksa

Lately it has been a lot of talk about what direction this team is heading. Are we heading towards mediocracy or are we heading towards brighter days? But usually when we discuss the future it's only one or two years a head. So as the title states, where do you se the Canucks by 2020?

I do believe we have added important pieces to our prospect pool, but I don't think it's really close to good enough. Of course that could be changed with two prospects reaching levels higher than anticipated. But the reality is that most teams, at least in our division has better prospects and better young players in their lineup than we have at the moment.

I think Benning & Co has made some upgrades to this organisation and they've made some questionalbe and unexpected moves. So it's difficult to predict what will happen next. But I don't think this team will be near a contending team by 2020, more likely a marginal playoff team by then. So my guess is mediocracy. But that's not because i don't believe in the work JB & Trevor does. I just look at the other organisations and it looks like many of them is one or two step a head of us in their rejuvenation phase. I'm not trying to be a "Negative Niklas" and I hope I'm wrong, guess we'll find out by then.

(I will not make a projected line up for 2020, because if i'm lucky, I'll get 30% correct. and that line up could potentially end up as someone's sign. And then I'll have to read how wrong I was every time I log in to CDC for four years.)

Feel free to flame away, but at least try to add something to the discussion if you don't have the same prediction as me, M'kay?

IMO assessing the talent of prospects before they make the NHL is not realistic. It is all how we develop and nuture these prospects, and this is the main strategy of JB and Linden. So far I think they are doing a great job. Detroit is the model for developing their own prospects, often waiting, even too long, until they allow them to enter the bigs, and the results are proven. Other teams like the Oilers rush their prospects and the results are bottom feeders.

I believe in our development process, Utica did great last year, we have coaches with similar philosophy and the entire franchise is under one philosophy.

We will be contenders by 2020.

If I were a betting man, I'd probably say somewhere between 1-32.

Couldn't go wrong with that.

All jokes aside. If everything goes as planned and the Sedins stick around for another year or two, we should very easily be playoff contenders/a dark horse for the Cup. By the mid 2020s we should easily be Cup favourites.

Obviously that far into the future is difficult to project.

There are some pretty solid concepts however based on the recent past as to what makes for a legitimate contender.

One of them is having a stud d man at his peak.

Since there isn't a projected franchise defenceman in the entire organization, let alone one anywhere near his prime, well you get the picture.

This doesn't rule out one of our mediocre prospects on defence pulling a Rafalski or a Boyle and developing into an elite player, but the odds are not favorable there.

One option would be to try to turn either Hammer/Virby/and or Miller into a legitimate defenceman prospect at this year's deadline.

I understand the original poster's concern, since the Canucks will in 2020 be getting no benefit from the drafts of 2005-2010, and the 2011-2012 groups aren't looking particularly strong though there are a couple of prospects that could come through.

The Canucks at the start of the 2015-16 season will have a total of 5 players who were on the team or in the system at the end of the 2009-10 season (Sedin x 2, Burrows, Edler, Hansen.)

The Canucks of 1986-7 finished with 66 pts in 80 games, 5th in the Smythe. In 1991-2 they won the Smythe and lost in the Cup semi-finals, with their 8 top scorers (Linden, Ronning, Larionov, Bure, Adams, G Courtnall, Lumme, Momesso) and starting goaltender (McLean) being players acquired by the Canucks later than 1986.

The Canucks may be starting at a disadvantage because they'll get little benefit from several draft years, but 5 years is a long time in professional sports. Whether they are good in 2020 will be a function, mostly, of how successful the management team is between now and then.

Within the next three years, the Western Canada road swing will be one of the most dreaded in the NHL. The growth of the Canucks will be a large part of that.

Don't be surprised to see the Nucks, Oilers and Flames take all three Pacific spots in the near future.

In 2020 all of the draft picks from 2016 will be waiver eligible, but I believe that we draft 9 players next year and they will all be playing in the all-star game by 2020. How's that for some imaginary bs from the future. Can't we just play one season at a time? This isn't EA sports. You don't get to simulate through 5 years of hockey. So in your reality you fast forward 5 years and we suck? Switch sides of the bed with your partner. You're waking up on the wrong side everyday.

Archived