...with effort from a team loaded with guys like this:

I don't need to remind everyone Murray is 6'4" 245 lbs and gets destroyed here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gotjh29qwpQ#t=31

gamer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXWfgJzWSJo#t=59

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeZDE9H3_vU#t=17

My dream is to one day watch the Canucks be a fast, physical, F-u type of team

Burkie said it best: TRUCULENCE.

It is true that some teams are ahead of us in regards to the depth in their prospect pools but it also depends how they develop them. Edmonton has a slew of highend young players but they have no mentoring to learn the game. If we have players that can come in and not be thrown into pressure situations and that learn from the vets what it takes to play at the NHL level, the team will be better for taking our time with the young guys. We are a bit thin on defensive prospects and that has to be addressed. Dmen take more time to develop so I see that as our shortcoming in order to be a solid team by 2020. We are going to have to get lucky and sign some more guys like Chris Tanev and fill out the defense with dependable vets. It is going to take a lot of luck to get a top end defenseman like a Weber or a Doughty but if we can develop the forwards and can put together a dependable defense, we will be in the hunt.

Obviously that far into the future is difficult to project.

There are some pretty solid concepts however based on the recent past as to what makes for a legitimate contender.

One of them is having a stud d man at his peak.

Since there isn't a projected franchise defenceman in the entire organization, let alone one anywhere near his prime, well you get the picture.

This doesn't rule out one of our mediocre prospects on defence pulling a Rafalski or a Boyle and developing into an elite player, but the odds are not favorable there.

One option would be to try to turn either Hammer/Virby/and or Miller into a legitimate defenceman prospect at this year's deadline.Since we'll

Since we're signing Seabrook next season we will have that #1 stud defenseman. *fingers crossed*

If Benning can draft and develop prospects better than the other guy,then there is no reason to say the Canucks cannot be a team that is seriously competitive for the SC by 2020...Elite players are traded all the time (Joe Thornton,Rick Nash,Chris Pronger),if you have the assets,you can acquire your missing piece through the trade route...Dougie Hamilton trade being a case in point.

Lately it has been a lot of talk about what direction this team is heading. Are we heading towards mediocracy or are we heading towards brighter days?

Sweet, so the team can vote on whether the team's going to suck? Conspiracy theorists will have a field day with that.

Then again, I'm surprised MLSE has let the Leafs suck for that long.

(The word you're looking for is mediocrity :)). Jokes aside, we'll have to see, if the team bottoms out for an elite player and the prospects develop quickly we could easily trend upwards in a hurry. Then again, in Exhibit B we have the Edmonton Oilers and old Columbus Blue Jackets... simply put it's too far in the future to predict.

I believe we will fall short of the playoffs the next couple years. The result: the trading on vets such as Higgins, Hammer, Hansen, Burrows, Vrbata, give or take a few, for prospects and picks. Take those picks and the prospects we have now, and you've gotta think a few turn out to be pretty good NHL players; even great. Guys like Horvat will be borderline vets and you've gotta think Virt will be in the lineup somewhere. The team will value effort and hard work above all else, and the character culture will be set. Demko will be knocking on the door for starter's duty, or maybe he'll even have it by that point if he exceeds expectations. 2020, if all goes well, we should be really turning the the corner and seeing what JB and TL have been envisioning.

Of course, this is pure conjecture. Tis just kinda what I expect to happen-- maybe it'll be better, maybe worse. Looking forward to seeing how it all shakes down.

Line up like this

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Shinkaruk McCann Boeser

other people we draft, trade for or sign

Defences a big question

Tanev Edler getting older

Corrado, J Subban, Sautner, Cederholm, Pedan, Hutton. Maybe two of theses guys

Other people we draft, Sign Or trade for.

Goalie

Super star (I really hope) Demko

Some one we trade for, sign or draft.

It is the future we are looking at so it is a hard question to answer.

No Gaunce( way to slow and not a sometime fighter) or Jensen(dime a dozen). Cassels is still a long shot he had a good season 2 years after he was drafted still has a lot to prove.

2020 is a good year to project to because by then you could argue that all of the players who were on the team in 2011 would be gone and the rebuilt team that Benning (and gillis) had started will have to stand on it's own.

There will be too many additions over the next 5 years to flesh out a line up but I am willing to speculate, who from the present group may remain.

Demko

Tanev, Corrado, Brisbois

Horvat, Virtanen, Boeser, Cassels, Grenier, Gaunce

I'm not saying that this is the core in 2020, just the players from today's roster who remain. Some of the list above would not be considered core and other players who cannot be named would be core players.

I think that by 2020 Benning will have found 2 good top 4 D men, a 1st line centre and a few other pieces which would place the Canucks in the top 4 in the west.

With at least one or two Cups.

I hope so too but we need a new GM first to get us back on the right track. With trades and prospects are future could be good next year for 2016-17

Sedin Sedin Virtanen

Lucic Horvat Burrows

Shinckaruk Sutter Vey

Dorset Prust Grenier

Gaunce

Edler Tanev

Erhoff Seabrook

Hamuis Corrado

Sbisa

Not bad better then this coming year disaster

Archived