The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Video] Burger king proposes McWhopper to McDonald's

Armada

Unfortunately, it would only be in Atlanta but would you try it, if McDonald's agreed?

All in the name of world peace.

Burger King has offered McDonald’s a golden opportunity to come together and make one burger to rule them all — in the name of world peace, of course.

In full-page ads running Wednesday in The New York Timesand the Chicago Tribune – the hometown paper of the Illinois-based McDonald’s – the fast-food chain is proposing the “McWhopper,” a hybrid of each company’s signature Big Mac and Whopper burgers that will be sold for one day in one pop-up store in one city.

That city, Burger King is proposing, would be Atlanta, a meeting point between both company’s headquarters. The marketing stunt would be held on Sept. 21, with proceeds benefiting the anti-conflict nonprofit Peace One Day.

Burger King has also set up a website listing out its proposal, even suggesting a recipe for the new hybrid burger: it will contain six ingredients from the Big Mac (like cheese and special sauce) and six from the Whopper (like the flame-grilled patty and onions).

McDonald’s responded on Facebook Wednesday morning:

Dear Burger King,

Inspiration for a good cause… great idea.

We love the intention but think our two brands could do something bigger to make a difference.

We commit to raise awareness worldwide, perhaps you’ll join us in a meaningful global effort?

And every day, let’s acknowledge that between us there is simply a friendly business competition and certainly not the unequaled circumstances of the real pain and suffering of war.

We’ll be in touch.

-Steve, McDonald’s CEO

P.S. A simple phone call will do next time.

Such publicity could help provide needed positive news for both companies, each struggling to improve revenues in a new health-conscious, “fast-casual” dining environment. Burger King, owned by private equity group 3G Capital,temporarily lost its ranking as the world’s No. 2 burger chain to Wendy’s last year. Meanwhile, McDonald’s recently reported a 10% drop in quarterly sales, with new CEO Steve Easterbrook calling the results “disappointing”.

http://fortune.com/2015/08/26/burger-king-mcdonalds/

CEO of McDonald's kinda came off as a McDick.

I got a bit of that vibe too, but at the same time, perhaps a good PR move by McD's, taking the higher road by proposing something more important than the lame pitch by BK, albeit in what sounds like a snotty tone.

Who cares about a one-time fast-food hamburger (assuming that kind of grub appeals in the first place)? If it is good, it's not like they will continue to serve it, and if it is blah, then they both look silly.

Just go to Carl's Jr. and get a Big Carl (a yummier/meatier version of the Big Mac). No special event needed!

I thought it would have been the other way round.

Maybe they're equally bad I dunno. I haven't tasted one and then the other. Depends what burger we're talking about though. The Angus ones aren't bad.

Burger King resembles meat to me more than the meat they put in Big Mac's and Quarter pounders though. That meat just tastes like a salty slab of soy with a hint of meat flavor.

Archived