The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Getting rid of the fragile mindset of this team

icycold

Love the Sedins, but handing over a stick and saying sorry during the Calgary series does not provide killer instinct for the rest of the guys to follow. Dorsett even admitted that not enough guys stick up and get vocal when opponents take liberties.

That's why Bonino, Matthias, and Kassian are no longer here. Bonino and Matthias were much too soft to play against, and even though Kassian would step up for teammates he'd do it in a reckless way that often cost the team. At 25 he's already on the refs most wanted list.

Enter Sutter, Prust, and Virtanen. These guys play hard and fast and wil stand up for themselves or teammates when things get heated.

Removing this fragile mindset is easy: Draft good old Canadian kids who form the foundation of your team. Don Cherry is never wrong. All I have to do is watch how Toews on a bum hamstring fought for his own versus Chara in front of the net, he was injured yet this action challenged the rest of his team to follow his example.

Love the Sedins, but handing over a stick and saying sorry during the Calgary series does not provide killer instinct for the rest of the guys to follow. Dorsett even admitted that not enough guys stick up and get vocal when opponents take liberties.

I love Towes compete level, but I don't think that's exclusive to Canadians. Forsberg, zetterberg, Datsuyk, Chara, Kopitar, etc. are all super competitive Cup winners. I know I'm missing lots of guys too. I think Benning is addressing this issue with his drafts, and trades. We are looking a lot more competitive. We do need these high compete guys in our top minute players though. With that I agree.

What about Lucic?

but he didn't say how that could be done...benning is going with having older players helping the young players to learn the game.

if he is planning to move the sedins out, he needs to show a plan to move their contracts and explain, who will get the points, they would score?....and more important, if he wants to gut this team, he needs to show, what his plan is going forward.....it is easy to state someone else's plan is wrong, but showing a replacement plan that will work...then we can judge, whether or not he has a grasp on what it takes to build a team...i'm not saying he is wrong, we just need to see his alternate plan in order to judge it.

Fair enough. A philosophy is not a plan. I didn't think the poster was suggesting dropping the Sedins, or was criticizing the regime. I thought it was more of a sweeping description of what has been wrong before, and I don't disagree.

Fair enough. A philosophy is not a plan. I didn't think the poster was suggesting dropping the Sedins, or was criticizing the regime. I thought it was more of a sweeping description of what has been wrong before, and I don't disagree.

Yes, it would be nice to see a team that is hard to play against, and other teams coming in are knowing they are in for a tough battle - win or lose they leave dead tired

"my hope is that before I die, I get to watch a team that will impose its will on the opposing team on a game-after-game basis."

I'm tired of reading stuff like this. We imposed our will plenty on other teams in 2010-11. We were doing it in the SC too until we were crippled by injuries. We played tough and we scored goals. We knocked other teams about but it was secondary to scoring and winning games.

You don't win 2 President's Trophies and get to game 7 of the SC Finals if you are unable to impose yourself on other teams. We only had one failing in these days and it was being too casual when playing the bottom feeders.

Quite a few teams as I remember tried to intimidate us on the way to the finals but we responded and in the end we were too resilient for them.

Injuries prevented us winning the Cup and if we had won it we would never have heard any of this type of BS that gets repeated over and over again, steadily wiping out the real memories of just how good we were.

We imposed our will plenty during the regular season. This era of the Canucks has been pretty good at that but NOT during the playoffs. Our 1 deep run in 2011 was almost the opposite of "imposing our will", in my opinion it was more like just surviving. The lack of killer instinct within this team couldn't have been more apparent than in our first round series with Chicago. We all remember the near disaster that was and at that point injuries should not have been an excuse, if it was then the team was just too soft.

Since we lost the Stanley Cup over four years ago, how has this team fared in the playoffs? 0 series wins and a 3-14 win/loss record. Is that due to a lack of killer instinct? Lack of toughness? Other teams just being that much better? Or are the Canucks just easily figured out? I think it's a bit of everything right now, but the one thing which has remained a constant over the years has been the absence of that 'step on the throat', 'kick the man when he's down', 'leave no doubt', killer instinct.

We imposed our will plenty during the regular season. This era of the Canucks has been pretty good at that but NOT during the playoffs. Our 1 deep run in 2011 was almost the opposite of "imposing our will", in my opinion it was more like just surviving. The lack of killer instinct within this team couldn't have been more apparent than in our first round series with Chicago. We all remember the near disaster that was and at that point injuries should not have been an excuse, if it was then the team was just too soft.

Since we lost the Stanley Cup over four years ago, how has this team fared in the playoffs? 0 series wins and a 3-14 win/loss record. Is that due to a lack of killer instinct? Lack of toughness? Other teams just being that much better? Or are the Canucks just easily figured out? I think it's a bit of everything right now, but the one thing which has remained a constant over the years has been the absence of that 'step on the throat', 'kick the man when he's down', 'leave no doubt', killer instinct.

Not true, we imposed our will plenty in the playoffs in 2010-11 and as I say we took too many injuries prior to and during the Boston games.

We were not "beat up" by Boston unless you count Danny being face slapped. That kind of thing had no effect on Danny or Henriks play.

I am annoyed that a great team is being libelled by our own disgruntled and butthurt fans. You expect this kind of cr-p from Boston or Chicago fans but it is crass when it is constantly spread and exaggerated by our own "fans"

Our fans already showed twice how weak characters they are by choosing to destroy their own city. This whole thread should be directed at THEM and not the team.

Unfortunately we also had a GM who didn't have a clue on how to develop the 2011 team. It would have been interesting to see what Benning and Linden would have done after 2011.

^^^^jiminy crickets, Pinnochio...the educational system sure is failing society ain't it?

Over the course of its 40+ year history, the Canucks have never had the collective mental toughness to be the ones dictating how the game is played. We have had a culture of being reactionary to the tone other teams set...my hope is that before I die, I get to watch a team that will impose its will on the opposing team on a game-after-game basis.

I wish for a team filled with natural born killers...that when it senses that the other team is wavering, it just absolutely destroys them...a team that has the ability to close out a game after it gets a lead.

I wish for a team that hates to lose more than it loves to win.

I wish for a team that will beat the schnot out of the opposition in the back alley and also on the scoreboard.

I wish for a team that plays with controlled and purposeful anger and fury.

My wish is pretty simple...do whatever it takes to win...whether it's by hook or crook, just win. Win ugly if need be.

Sorry in advance to all the bleeding hearts who want a team full of classy players. Classy players who can't win should be shipped out...classy players who are capable of winning should be revered. Those just wanting to win need not apply...those wanting to win and willing to do whatever it takes to win are welcomed. That should solve the whole mental fragility issue.

I agree with you for the most part - except for the entire 40 years never icing a team that couldn't set the tone and win games that way. We had an awfully good team in the early nineties (even late eighties, taking a way better Calgary team that won it all to 7 games we had no business being in) that was probably the best at this. Come from behind, third period and OT gumption in spades. Probably why The Hockey News ranked the 94 version as the best ever (I would argue against this, the 94 team wasn't close to the best in the league at the time, unlike the 2011 team, but they knew how to come back). I think this is part of Bennings plan, get back to a team that pushes an isn't pushed - long way to go yet though. I also miss having a top tier enforcer like we did with Odjick, and then Brashear.

To describe the current Canucks as having a fragile mindset is not far from the truth; as far as we the fans perceive. Now..the Sharks. ........

The San Jose Sharks have what I would see as a definite fragility; as do the Sharks organization and their fans. They've made it the post season the large percentage of the time since they came into the league, and since 2000 they've placed 1 or 2 in the Pacific. Not once did they play for the cup in the finals.

Going by the new Canucks management team concept and fix up since the MG/Torts disaster; the return to the playoffs last season..............I see no fragile issues here.

Go Canucks Go!!! :towel:

As much a I like hank sedin he should never been made captain. The team is a direct reflection of him rarely if ever stands up for himself let alone team mates. Thornton poking him in the face with zero retaliation said it all.

Modest and soft spoken at times appears to have zero emotion.

Biggest mistake when new management came in was not changing the identity of the team with a new personality as captain.

The identity won't change till the guys leading do.

X2.Naslund was much the same which, in my mind, led to the fiasco with Bert and Moore. The game prior Naslund was elbowed in the head by Moore and there was no retaliation. Nazzy and Hank are great players I am just not sure they were the correct choices as Captains. Both of these players had great teams which had the potential to win cups just did not have that "killer instinct" needed to take it to the next level.

"my hope is that before I die, I get to watch a team that will impose its will on the opposing team on a game-after-game basis."

I'm tired of reading stuff like this. We imposed our will plenty on other teams in 2010-11. We were doing it in the SC too until we were crippled by injuries. We played tough and we scored goals. We knocked other teams about but it was secondary to scoring and winning games.

You don't win 2 President's Trophies and get to game 7 of the SC Finals if you are unable to impose yourself on other teams. We only had one failing in these days and it was being too casual when playing the bottom feeders.

Quite a few teams as I remember tried to intimidate us on the way to the finals but we responded and in the end we were too resilient for them.

Injuries prevented us winning the Cup and if we had won it we would never have heard any of this type of BS that gets repeated over and over again, steadily wiping out the real memories of just how good we were.

You are getting tired? I am growing tired of hearing the excuse of "injuries". " We played tough and we scored goals." Were we playing tough when Marchand was using one of the twins as a punching bag? Did we score goals when we were shutout in 3 games including game 7?

We were the better team in this series and we should have won. Lu had the blow out 8-1 game and we had no push after that . The PP was atrocious and we no longer dictated the play after game 3. If we had more players who were "clutch" type players we may well had won the cup that year. Teams like Boston and LA play tough and I am hoping new players brought in will make us similar to the make up these teams.

You are getting tired? I am growing tired of hearing the excuse of "injuries". " We played tough and we scored goals." Were we playing tough when Marchand was using one of the twins as a punching bag? Did we score goals when we were shutout in 3 games including game 7?

We were the better team in this series and we should have won. Lu had the blow out 8-1 game and we had no push after that . The PP was atrocious and we no longer dictated the play after game 3. If we had more players who were "clutch" type players we may well had won the cup that year. Teams like Boston and LA play tough and I am hoping new players brought in will make us similar to the make up these teams.

We also shut out Boston in 2 games.

Are you going to compare the Vancouver injury list with Boston's? No I didn't think so. You are just one of the butthurt fans I'm talking about.

If Danny was used as a punchbag by Marchand, either the "rat" hits like a p-ssy or Danny is one tough mf.

None of the rest of your post recognises the loss of Hamhuis after game one, or that Sammy (who was integral in their PP) didn't even figure at all.

Rome (a tough body checker) was ejected from the series in the 1st period of game 3.

Manny was playing with effects of an eye injury and even if his vision wasn't affected everyone could see his style of play certainly was.

Raymond's back was broken in game 6.(fractured vertebrae )

Higgins broken foot against Preds.

Erhoff injured against San Jose required shoulder injections before every game after that, both he and Higgins had to have surgery.

Kesler played with a hip injury (received in game 5 of the Western conf finals) and needed surgery in the close season.

Elder broke 2 fingers in game 6 and played 26 mins of game 7 with them taped up.

Alberts injured in game 6.

Sami was being treated for a groin injury.

"They were probably shooting six guys up [for Game 7]," he said. (Tambellini)

Maybe you can produce the Bruins injury list to justify your puerile argument.

Are you going to compare the Vancouver injury list with Boston's? No I didn't think so. You are just one of the butthurt fans I'm talking about.

If Danny was used as a punchbag by Marchand, either the "rat" hits like a p-ssy or Danny is one tough mf.

None of the rest of your post recognises the loss of Hamhuis after game one, or that Sammy (who was integral in their PP) didn't even figure at all.

Rome (a tough body checker) was ejected from the series in the 1st period of game 3.

Manny was playing with effects of an eye injury and even if his vision wasn't affected everyone could see his style of play certainly was.

Erhoff injured against San Jose required shoulder injections before every game after that, both he and Higgins had to have surgery.

Kesler played with a hip injury (received in game 5 of the Western conf finals) and needed surgery in the close season.

Elder broke 2 fingers in game 6 and played 26 mins of game 7 with them taped up.

Luongo shut out the Bruins.

I remember Hamhuis getting hurt, when he went low on Lucic. That was the key one I think. That's another reason why i want Lucic on our team; he's a straight line bruiser. He does damage to the opponent, even if he's receiving. His presence alone changes our image. IMO

Archived