The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fracking triggered 2014 earthquake in northeastern B.C.

nux4lyfe

Fracking triggered a 4.4-magnitude earthquake in northeastern B.C. last year, CBC News has learned, making it one of world's largest earthquakes ever triggered by the controversial process.

B.C.'s Oil and Gas Commission confirmed the cause of the earthquake in an email statement to CBC this week, saying it was "triggered by fluid injection during hydraulic fracturing."

The 4.4-magnitude quake was felt in Fort St. John and Fort Nelson in August 2014. It was preceded by a 3.8-magnitude earthquake in late July, also caused by fracking.

B.C.'s Oil and Gas Commission told CBC that several companies were doing hydraulic fracturing in the area at the time, and several more were disposing of fracking waste.

But the commission says it was Progress Energy's operations that were "associated with triggering this event."

Hydraulic fracturing, often called fracking, is the process of injecting water, sand and chemicals at high pressure deep underground to break rock and free gas.

Fracking fluid reduced

Since the 2014 earthquake, Progress Energy has been ordered to reduce the volume of fracking fluid being used, and the company has complied, according to the commission.

As well, new seismic equipment has been set up in the area. No new earthquakes have been detected in the immediate area.

Last week, Progress Energy temporarily shut down another fracking site after a 4.6-magnitude earthquake hit just three kilometres away.

Responding to The Canadian Press late Wednesday, Progress Energy said the cause of the recent quake has not yet been established.

"The northeast B.C. foothills is a seismically active area with more than 6,000 seismic events each year, 99 per cent of which measure a magnitude so low that they are not felt on the surface," said a statement from spokesperson Dave Sterna.

The company has voluntarily installed 17 seismic monitoring stations in its operating area, Sterna added.

Officials say it will take several more weeks to determine if the 4.6-magnitude quake was triggered by fracking.

Sign of things to come?

Progress Energy is owned by Petronas of Malaysia, which also owns Pacific NorthWest LNG, the firm planning to build a giant liquefied natural gas export facility near Prince Rupert, B.C. supplied by gas fracked in northeastern B.C.

Matt Horne, with clean energy advocate the Pembina Institute, calls the significant earthquake "another warning sign for what could be down the road.

"If B.C. goes down the LNG road in a big way, it's really important when we're debating LNG proposals, we're eyes wide open.... to both the benefits and impacts. Increased earthquakes is one of those impacts," said Horne.

B.C.'s Oil and Gas Commission declined a taped interview, providing only background information by email.

Minister says events are 'rare'

In a statement, B.C. Minister of Natural Gas Development Rich Coleman said "felt seismic events related to hydraulic fracturing are rare."

"The province has a leading role in North America in the detection and mitigation of induced seismicity associated with unconventional gas development and works closely with the Oil and Gas Commission and industry," the statement said.

The statement went on to emphasize that drilling must stop immediately if "seismicity reaching a magnitude of 4.0 is detected."

"Operations can only resume once a mitigation plan – such as reduced pumping pressures – are agreed on by the Commission," it said.

Peace MLAs Mike Bernier and Pat Pimm didn't respond to requests for comment.

In January, Alberta's energy regulator reported fracking likely caused a 4.4-magnitude earthquake in the northern town of Fox Creek. Scientists told CBC at the time the quake was the largest in the world ever caused by fracking.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/fracking-triggered-2014-earthquake-in-northeastern-b-c-1.3203944

Stop FRACKING, People!

As information on its effects come in the way we frack is being adjusted accordingly. So whats the problem. We all want cheap energy and gas guzzling cars but nobody wants to deal with the dirty process of extracting the raw resources needed.

This is the thought from people making decisions.

And thankfully it's them making the decisions.

As information on its effects come in the way we frack is being adjusted accordingly. So whats the problem. We all want cheap energy and gas guzzling cars but nobody wants to deal with the dirty process of extracting the raw resources needed.

Kinda like how smoking companies just adjusted accordingly as new info came in... If it were only as simple and optimistic as that.

Did anyone read the article? The title is so misleading. It says very clearly about halfway through the article that it will be weeks before it is known what caused the quake.

Still, I like that the companies volunteered to install the monitoring equipment themselves and that they cut back the fracking process just in case.

I made the initial point, which you ignored. Feel free to ignore it, but don't reply with a bunch of assumptions about things I didn't say and reply to those.

Oil is bad, blame everything on oil, they are only out to destroy us (the little guys). The anti-oil crowd is clueless and somehow think they are so above everyone else, Meanwhile they’ll still drive home a vehicle, and fill their lives with all the consumer products that are petroleum based.

The computer or smart phone you are typing on, the very item that allows you’re voice to be heard is petroleum based. You are part of the very reason the there is a demand for oil, a demand that forces companies to think up of new ways to pull the product from the earth. Unless you’re willing to do something about it (and remove all petroleum based products from you’re life), then really it’s time to shut up. If you stand for something then follow through with it. You’re basically an vegan rights activist who goes home and eats a big steak every night.

Oil is bad, blame everything on oil, they are only out to destroy us (the little guys). The anti-oil crowd is clueless and somehow think they are so above everyone else, Meanwhile they’ll still drive home a vehicle, and fill their lives with all the consumer products that are petroleum based.

The computer or smart phone you are typing on, the very item that allows you’re voice to be heard is petroleum based. You are part of the very reason the there is a demand for oil, a demand that forces companies to think up of new ways to pull the product from the earth. Unless you’re willing to do something about it (and remove all petroleum based products from you’re life), then really it’s time to shut up. If you stand for something then follow through with it. You’re basically an vegan rights activist who goes home and eats a big steak every night.

Again, I'd ask for evidence I've said anything remotely close to this. But you won't and can't. Just like that other guy, you'd rather live in your little black and white bubble of nonsense.

I'd like cleaner air, but I still breathe. I guess unless I stop breathing I'm a hypocrite for wanting cleaner air right? Stupid point is stupid.

If you're ready to have a big boy conversation, acknowledging all the grey in this debate. Let's do it. But sitting here calling me a hypocrite cause I think we should reduce our reliance on oil yet I still choose to live in society is asinine beyond belief.

Archived