The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Call me 'ze,' not 'he': University wants everyone to use 'gender inclusive' pronouns

Mr. Ambien

Here's an interesting article:

Call me 'ze,' not 'he': University wants everyone to use 'gender inclusive' pronouns

1440700177372.jpg

Educators in the Volunteer State are very concerned that students might be offended by the usage of traditional pronouns like she, he, him and hers, according to a document from the University of Tennessee Knoxvilles Office of Diversity and Inclusion.

With the new semester beginning and an influx of new students on campus, it is important to participate in making our campus welcoming and inclusive for all, wrote Donna Braquet in a posting on the universitys website. One way to do that is to use a students chosen name and their correct pronouns.

Braquet, who is director of the universitys Pride Center, suggested using a variety of gender neutral pronouns instead of traditional pronouns.

There are dozens of gender-neutral pronouns, she declared.

For all you folks who went to school back when there were only him and her heres a primer: some of the new gender neutral pronouns are ze, hir, zir, xe, xem and xyr.

These may sound a little funny at first, but only because they are new, Braquet explained. The she and he pronouns would sound strange too if we had been taught ze when growing up.

Somehow I sincerely doubt that, but whatever. Anything goes for the sake of inclusivity, right?

Instead of calling roll, ask everyone to provide their name and pronouns, she wrote. This ensures you are not singling out transgender or non-binary students.

For example, the birth certificate might say that Big Earl is a male. But what if Big Earl identifies as a lady who wants to be called Lawanda?

According to the procedures outlined by the folks at the Office of Diversity and Inclusion, the professor is obligated to call Big Earl Lawanda or whatever name makes Big Earl feel more included.

We should not assume someones gender by their appearance, nor by what is listed on a roster or in student information systems, Braquet wrote. Transgender people and people who do not identify within the gender binary may use a different name than their legal name and pronouns of their gender identity, rather than the pronouns of the sex they were assigned at birth.

Its all so confusing, right? So thankfully, the Office for Diversity and Inclusion has devised a way to prevent students and professors from calling sir a maam.

You can always politely ask, she wrote. Oh, nice to meet you (insert name). What pronouns should I use? is a perfectly fine question to ask.

Lets just say that not everyone is on board with the new gender neutral pronouns. Lots of folks in Big Orange Country are turning blood red.

Its the most ridiculous thing Ive ever heard, Republican State Sen. Mae Beavers told me. If you must interview a student before you greet the student, thats not acceptance thats just absurd.

Beavers represents a very conservative district and she said her constituents are enraged over how their tax money is being spent by the university.

The idea a child would want to be called by a gender neutral term is absolutely ridiculous, she said. Its getting so crazy in this country.

Julie West has two children at the university not to mention a family dog named after the Volunteers revered coach General Neyland.

This isnt inclusion, she said. This is the radical transformation of our lives and language.

I reached out to the vice chancellor for tolerance and diversity (yes they really do have such a thing) but Im still waiting for him or her or ze or xyr to call me back.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/08/28/call-me-ze-not-university-wants-everyone-to-use-gender-inclusive-pronouns.html?intcmp=hpbt4

Seems fitting given where we're headed. Who's up for a reeducation in English?

My head hurts from all of this politically correct stupidity

Why even call them a mailman. Why even call them male, why not zemale

This march towards political correctness will leave the following generation a group of neutered idiots too afraid to offend someone to speak the truth

ze is good, because he or she both rhymes. Neutral. "ze is awesome." But sometimes Zee is a name, so.

zir isn't because it rhymes with her, implying female. "zir hat doesn't fit." "her hat doesn't fit."

obviously for the same reason, hir is also not good. "hir hat doesn't fit." "omg are you implying i am female? how dare you!"

So what is a him/her gender-neutral pronoun alternative?

How about "it?" "It" is the most common pronoun of all. The pronoun used all the time to describe gender neutral living things by all people around the world.

If we're into re-educating society to be more gender neutral, perhaps we should remove all social stigmas associated with the word "it" instead of creating new words to accomplish the same purpose. Considering the only reason "it" would be offensive to describe a gender-neutral person would be because of established societal norms.

"It wanted to wear a hat. It thought to itself, "It's got to fit."

ze is good, because he or she both rhymes. Neutral. "ze is awesome." But sometimes Zee is a name, so.

zir isn't because it rhymes with her, implying female. "zir hat doesn't fit." "her hat doesn't fit."

obviously for the same reason, hir is also not good. "hir hat doesn't fit." "omg are you implying i am female? how dare you!"

So what is a him/her gender-neutral pronoun alternative?

How about "it?" "It" is the most common pronoun of all. The pronoun used all the time to describe gender neutral living things by all people around the world.

If we're into re-educating society to be more gender neutral, perhaps we should remove all social stigmas associated with the word "it" instead of creating new words to accomplish the same purpose. Considering the only reason "it" would be offensive to describe a gender-neutral person would be because of established societal norms.

"It wanted to wear a hat. It thought to itself, "It's got to fit."

It makes sense.

Shouldn't there only be one set of pronouns if they're neutral terms?

I fully support using gender neutral pronouns or using the proper non-neutral pronoun for transgender people (like calling Caitlyn Jenner "she") but you can still call me "he"

Which bathroom do I go into if they both say "zirs"???

You take a dump or a whizz at home in the same toilet your mom, sister, aunt, grandmother, female friend, etc. so segregated washrooms has always been a strange thing to me. It's ok at home but not ok in public?

However I do find this op-ed article totally ridiculous. These types of ideas do exactly what the LBGT community does not want. They want to be included but do not want special treatment. They want to be treated equally as the gender they identify with. That's it. My lesbian friends hate the idea of having normal things changed to make them feel better about their sexuality.

Archived