The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stamkos. Any hope in hell? [Discussion]

Ok, Minister, it's time for me to bow down before you and admit that this is flying way over my head.

Holden? Semak? Vaic? Does the use of "zygote" suggest we should be looking at a combination of players-or possibly does it mean you're saying we acquired Virtanen in the fall of '96, when he was born? Or would someone born 9 months later, so a fetus in the fall of '96, be more appropriate?

I qive up. Who did you mean?

A zygote is a fertilized ovum.

So...yes...I was suggesting we cloned Jagr back then which gives us our franchise player this year.

It was my over the top comment on how unlikely it is that we acquire Stamkos.

Is that Virtanen? I don't think so. He's too pretty to be a Jagr clone.

IF Tampa doesn't re-sign him (which is very unlikely before the year is out) and IF Toronto doesn't sign him (his preferred destination) and IF Benning keeps space available and can't re-sign Hamhuis (mistake given our lack of decent defenseman) than maybe we have a crack in the open market with the other 28 teams. 12 Million and 8 years is what he will get.

IF Tampa doesn't re-sign him (which is very unlikely before the year is out) and IF Toronto doesn't sign him (his preferred destination) and IF Benning keeps space available and can't re-sign Hamhuis (mistake given our lack of decent defenseman) than maybe we have a crack in the open market with the other 28 teams. 12 Million and 8 years is what he will get.

If that's what he'll get, then he'll definitely be in Tampa. Because no other team can offer him more than a 7-year term.

no hope in hell would Stamkos come to Vancouver. He's not leaving Tampa and he's sure as hell not going to Toronto. He will be resigned, and since Tampa is my 2nd team I cheer for I would rather not see Stamkos leave Tampa. They've got the best chance in the east to win a cup within the next 2-3 years at least and Stamkos isn't going to leave that.

I think he'll walk, he's barely a second liner these days. Even if the Canucks got him he'd be behind Henrik and foundation piece so what's the point?

15th overall in points, 2nd overall in goals is a second line player? Lmao........

OP:

No. No hope in hell. For arguments sake, lets just say Tampa, who made the Finals last year, didn't have enough cap space and weren't a legitimate Cup contender to fill both of Stamkos' desires: Get paid and win. There are other teams in the NHL where Stamkos could go that have enough cap space to sign him to a huge contract are far better shape competitively than the Canucks are. The Islanders, for example, have enough cap space to add in Stamkos and dominate.

Long story short, Stamkos isn't coming to Vancouver because they can't outbid other teams and they aren't nearly competitive enough to be on the short list of teams he would want to go to, should he hit free agency. Which, again, he won't.

Archived