The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Eklund says Canucks interested in Lars Eller

Vey is basically a throw-in, as he'd have no place on the Canucks anyway once they got Eller, maybe at most as a 13th-14th forward. Otherwise, he'd be put on waivers or moved quickly for a low draft pick.

Just like Grabner was a throw in?

Throwing away players before you build them up into something is the worst asset management possible.

Just like Grabner was a throw in?

Throwing away players before you build them up into something is the worst asset management possible.

You could argue that instead the Canucks should develop them into something, but if a player that is less of a risk and liability with a larger upside comes along, you take that, and IMO Eller has a bigger upside and is less of a risk to keep as an asset.

We gave up a 2nd for Vey and a 3rd for Pedan before they even played in the NHL full time.

Since then Vey's gone on to have a respectable rookie season where he put up 3 less points than the 3.5 million dollar player you want to trade him for.

I'm not saying Vey is gonna be a 30 goal scorer, but you're undervaluing him quite a bit. You're acting like he's just going to stop developing after one season in the NHL.

Pedan is waiver ineligible and fairly NHL-ready.

Vey had a fine rookie season points wise, but watching him play showed there are a ton of barriers to him becoming a successful NHL player. Not to mention, there isn't a lot of player movement right now, a ton of teams would love to make a little cap space, I doubt a GM is gonna give up a 3rd straight up for Vey.

I just don't see us needing Eller that badly to give up on Jensen just yet.

Horvat will be given his shot on the third line, and it doesn't make sense to add a 3.5 million dollar fourth line center.

Jensen is a bum and we'll be happy ever to see him in the NHL

Pedan is waiver ineligible and fairly NHL-ready.

Vey had a fine rookie season points wise, but watching him play showed there are a ton of barriers to him becoming a successful NHL player. Not to mention, there isn't a lot of player movement right now, a ton of teams would love to make a little cap space, I doubt a GM is gonna give up a 3rd straight up for Vey.

Fairly NHL ready yet he hasn't played in the NHL yet.

Of course rookies are going to have flaws in their game, no one expects them to come into the league with a flawless game. That doesn't mean they don't have value.

At the very worst Vey is a versatile forward making 1 mil that can put up 30 points. For teams looking for cheap depth options he's worth it.

Max Reinhart went for a 4th round pick and Vey has superior numbers to him at every level. He could fetch a 3rd.

You could argue that instead the Canucks should develop them into something, but if a player that is less of a risk and liability with a larger upside comes along, you take that, and IMO Eller has a bigger upside and is less of a risk to keep as an asset.

Your boner for Eller is all good but your trouncing of Vey is short-sighted and a bit pre-mature. Also I don't understand your logic about Eller having higher upside than Vey at this point of their respective careers. Right now we need skills on the team.

At his cap hit unless it's Burrows going the other way I don't see where he fits here other than youth. I am sure we some serviceable and cheap options in Utica as opposed to bringing in a bigger cap hit flitting between the bottom 9 forward group

Eklund has been on quite the losing streak lately. He can usually pull at least 1 or 2 trades out of his A$$ with some luck. No this year.

A rumour from 2 big hockey markets should give him some extra hits to get through these hard times.

Not too many Fla - Carolina proposals in the near future.

This is what I find funny. All the trade rumblings seem to involve big market Canadian teams and cdc believes it time and time again.

Ive always liked Eller. Hed be a significant depth addition at center. If theres a chance of adding him in an exchange including one of Higgins or Burrows you do it in a heartbeat... Reguardless of where you feel Horvat will play in the lineup.

The concept is that this team rolls its lines and the best playing units get more 5 on 5 ice... just as Horvats unit earned 2nd line minutes dispite playing on the "4th" line.

If its a Vrbata for Eller and a 1st, I think you entertain it, but you have to wonder about this teams offence... THough this could still be an option should Vey or Virtanen show enough at camp to make coaches believe that one of them could play in the top 6.

Team management needs to be proactive in setting up potential deals should a young player earn a roster spot. THough its Eklund fodder, I think it does make some leel of sense for Van to be investigating bottom 6 centers.

Fairly NHL ready yet he hasn't played in the NHL yet.

Of course rookies are going to have flaws in their game, no one expects them to come into the league with a flawless game. That doesn't mean they don't have value.

At the very worst Vey is a versatile forward making 1 mil that can put up 30 points. For teams looking for cheap depth options he's worth it.

Max Reinhart went for a 4th round pick and Vey has superior numbers to him at every level. He could fetch a 3rd.

At the very worst Vey has a sophomore slump (like many do), continues at the pace he ended last year (3 points in the final 24 games), is trusted with littler and littler ice time, gets scratched during important games (as he was in the playoffs), and takes up a roster spot on a line that will get 12-14 minutes a night and features two hard working forwards who can be difference makers with a reliable 2-way center (Prust and Dorsett, or Prust and Hansen, or Higgins and Dorsett, etc). And then he's worth nothing. That's the very worst...

Not saying that will happen, but the "very worst" isn't a career best season for Vey.

Your boner for Eller is all good but your trouncing of Vey is short-sighted and a bit pre-mature. Also I don't understand your logic about Eller having higher upside than Vey at this point of their respective careers. Right now we need skills on the team.

Vey hasn't shown that he can be as good as of a NHL as Eller is, even at Eller's current level. The dudes were only drafted 2 drafts apart, and I think there's a better chance Eller would break out with a chance on a new team + new PP than Vey does.

Eller has more skill and just as much offensive upside as Vey does. Vey doesn't have as much defensive or physical upside as Eller does.

I'm not saying put Vey on waivers, but if a better option like Eller comes along, the Canucks should take it.

This is what I find funny. All the trade rumblings seem to involve big market Canadian teams and cdc believes it time and time again.

I don't think Eklund has any sources, I think he just throws a lot of $&!# at the wall, still fun to discuss the possibility though.

Trade Burrows

D. SEDIN - H. SEDIN - ELLER

?

Problem is, the last thing that worries me is Burrows showing up in the playoffs. He's the type a team collects; not unlike Prust and Kracknell.

Utica signing. And guys like Prust aren't supposed to light it up in the playoffs. That's not their role. Weak judgement.

Doesn't matter, a 3rd liner at best; a dime a dozen. Nothing special about his game

Except that he has size, can skate, and has a wicked release.

Those things aren't a dime a dozen FYI.

That's why we gotta keep being patient with him and hope for the best. Everyone was writing Grabner off at 22 as well.

At the very worst Vey has a sophomore slump (like many do), continues at the pace he ended last year (3 points in the final 24 games), is trusted with littler and littler ice time, gets scratched during important games (as he was in the playoffs), and takes up a roster spot on a line that will get 12-14 minutes a night and features two hard working forwards who can be difference makers with a reliable 2-way center (Prust and Dorsett, or Prust and Hansen, or Higgins and Dorsett, etc). And then he's worth nothing. That's the very worst...

Not saying that will happen, but the "very worst" isn't a career best season for Vey.

Of course he could have a slump if given less opportunity, that goes without saying.

The point is he's shown he can likely put up 30 if given a chance, and there's no reason to believe he won't improve after a summer of intensive training.

His downfall might be lack of roster space on the Canucks, but for a team needing wingers he could probably find a permanent spot.

Archived