The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Eklund says Canucks interested in Lars Eller

Referring back to how many points Higgins put up when he was last in a Montreal uniform is meaningless. That was 6 years ago. He's not the same player (for better or worse). For the record, Semin was putting up 80 point seasons 6 years ago. That has no bearing on what he's likely capable of at this point in his career.

Pointing out that he would rank 6th among Montreal forwards last season is problematic at best. First of all, he put up those points on a team that plays a much more offensive system, secondly, if he's only ranks 6th he doesn't really solve the problem of bringing more scoring to the top 6 does he? Also, he put up 7 points more than Weise but played close to 3 minutes a game more and had significant powerplay time (Weise had 0 powerplay points, Higgins had 5) Factor all that in and he's not much of an upgrade on Weise at all

My point is that if Montreal is considering moving a good, big, young established centre, its to significantly upgrade scoring in their top 6. The only potential target that would fill that need from the Vancouver roster is Vrbata, but I don't think that's at all realistic. So I don't see a trade that fits both teams needs.

It actually isn't meaningless, and a lot of NHL GMs would agree or else they wouldn't bring players back to/with similar players, structures or enviroments. Some examples off the top of my head:

- Versteeg back to Chicago, 11 points in 28 games over two seasons, rebounded to 29 points in 63 with the Hawks.

- Linden back to Vancouver after 2 seasons combined 7 points in 18 games, rebounded to 34 points in 64 games and 41 points in 71 games.

- Tanguay from a 37 point player in Tampa, to a 69 point season in CGY.

- Selanne from a 32 point player in Colorado to a 90 point player in Anaheim.

- Recchi's 90 point return to the Flyers.

Lots of smaller examples too (Sopel to the Canucks, Sydor to Dallas, Sykora to the Devils, Franson to Nashville, Kovalev to NYR, etc etc etc). Not to mention players reunited with other players or coaches. It's extra significant for Higgins, because the C whose line he played best on, and who he would be familiar with is still on the team.

It might not be the most meaningful reason to bring someone in, but it's not invalid either.

Does Chicago or LA have a purely offensive center? Or do they have strong 2 way centers that can play offense when the opportunity arises?

I would be happy with 3 or 4 defensively minded centers (Datsyuk) who can use turnovers and strong defense to take advantage of offensive centers.

Never too many capable centers. Most can always move to the wing.

Even Desjardins went back to Burrows after playing Vrbata with the Sedins.

Burrows is the perfect complementary player to our two superstars.

Wish no more than what we have. Trading both Burrows and Vrbata and replacing them with Eller or Virtanen could be the end of the Sedins as sure fire producers.

Even Desjardins went back to Burrows after playing Vrbata with the Sedins.

Burrows is the perfect complementary player to our two superstars.

Wish no more than what we have. Trading both Burrows and Vrbata and replacing them with Eller or Virtanen could be the end of the Sedins as sure fire producers.

I'd like to see Burrows stay a Canucks forever unless an undeniably amazing deal comes along. The guy can play literally any forward role besides a bruising goon: playmaker, forechecker, goal scorer, bottom 6 grinder, 1st line complimentary player, pest, leader, playoff performer, clutch.

Moving Vrbata and Higgins this season would be good asset management though, unless Benning really wants to re-sign Vrbata. Which I personally think would be horrible asset management.

I think if we were in on Ellers it likely died when we acquired Sutter. Or, more than likely, Eklund is talking out of his butt. How much wing has Ellers played in his career? I think we are fairly set down the middle as is.

Not a lot, but each coach has tried him there. But, he's useful in the faceoffs and can be trusted in all 3 zones which makes him extremely desirable as a C. Here's a blog post from a Montreal fan I tend to agree with:

Plekanec will never move to the wing. Period.

That only leaves Eller. Lars would make an excellent second line winger. His defensive responsibility and offensive ability would make him a perfect fit on Plekanec’s wing. In fact, many fans seem to think Eller’s age and two way game make him the heir apparent to take over Plekanec’s role in the future. What better way to apprentice under Plekanec than to play on his line for a couple of years?

Eller was thrown onto a line with Plekanec and Gionta during the dismantling that was taking place against the Ottawa Senators last night. It was a very short stint, but the line calmed a bit of the storm in the second half of the game, and ended up tying the game with a little help from Jared Cowen.

Eller looked fine on the wing, and could fit in well there whether he plays with Plekanec or Galchenyuk down the middle. Actually, a line of Galchenyuk centering Eller and Prust might be a perfect situation for Alex to get used to playing center in the NHL. The trio performed extremely well together last year with Eller at center, so wouldn’t they play similar with Galchenyuk in the middle?

The biggest problem with this is Eller is currently leading the Habs in face-off percentage. Could Eller play on Galchenyuk’s wing, but still take draws? Eller would use his big frame to win battles for pucks along the boards and in the corners, after taking a faceoff, while Galchenyuk would be given the freedom to roam the ice with the puck.

- A Winning HABIt

I think if we were in on Ellers it likely died when we acquired Sutter. Or, more than likely, Eklund is talking out of his butt. How much wing has Ellers played in his career? I think we are fairly set down the middle as is.

Not a lot, but each coach has tried him there. But, he's useful in the faceoffs and can be trusted in all 3 zones which makes him extremely desirable as a C. Here's a blog post from a Montreal fan I tend to agree with:

Plekanec will never move to the wing. Period.

That only leaves Eller. Lars would make an excellent second line winger. His defensive responsibility and offensive ability would make him a perfect fit on Plekanec’s wing. In fact, many fans seem to think Eller’s age and two way game make him the heir apparent to take over Plekanec’s role in the future. What better way to apprentice under Plekanec than to play on his line for a couple of years?

Eller was thrown onto a line with Plekanec and Gionta during the dismantling that was taking place against the Ottawa Senators last night. It was a very short stint, but the line calmed a bit of the storm in the second half of the game, and ended up tying the game with a little help from Jared Cowen.

Eller looked fine on the wing, and could fit in well there whether he plays with Plekanec or Galchenyuk down the middle. Actually, a line of Galchenyuk centering Eller and Prust might be a perfect situation for Alex to get used to playing center in the NHL. The trio performed extremely well together last year with Eller at center, so wouldn’t they play similar with Galchenyuk in the middle?

The biggest problem with this is Eller is currently leading the Habs in face-off percentage. Could Eller play on Galchenyuk’s wing, but still take draws? Eller would use his big frame to win battles for pucks along the boards and in the corners, after taking a faceoff, while Galchenyuk would be given the freedom to roam the ice with the puck.

- A Winning HABIt

Yea that line was deadly, it just needed time to gel.

I always got the feeling AV was unwilling to give certain players a chance no matter what they did. Almost like he wanted them to fail if they weren't his type of player.

Yeah especially some Dmen;

M. Schneider comes to mind. And I know there were others, just can't remember their names.

Brendan Morrison as well.

Even Trevor Linden was shafted his last year.

I'd like to see Burrows stay a Canucks forever unless an undeniably amazing deal comes along. The guy can play literally any forward role besides a bruising goon: playmaker, forechecker, goal scorer, bottom 6 grinder, 1st line complimentary player, pest, leader, playoff performer, clutch.

Moving Vrbata and Higgins this season would be good asset management though, unless Benning really wants to re-sign Vrbata. Which I personally think would be horrible asset management.

Seems like Higgins might have refused to waive. Both Vrbata and Hamhuis are not going to be re-signed. That's most likely 2 1st round picks at the deadline minimum.

Seems like Higgins might have refused to waive. Both Vrbata and Hamhuis are not going to be re-signed. That's most likely 2 1st round picks at the deadline minimum.

If we are still in a playoff race, do you think Benning will have the ownership blessing to trade those 2 players? As much as it is the smart thing to do, I doubt we will get anything for them and most likely we will re-sign Hammer at the end of the season.

This seems like a huge assumption. It usually happens at least once every year, but there are also usually a few fixtures in the rumour mill that don't move. That's a huge price and it usually doesn't pan out, so I won't be surprised if we see less and less of it. It may happen, but it's a long way from a guarantee.

If we are still in a playoff race, do you think Benning will have the ownership blessing to trade those 2 players? As much as it is the smart thing to do, I doubt we will get anything for them and most likely we will re-sign Hammer at the end of the season.

I think Benning has a lot of latitude. The plan is what he sold to ownership, not the other way around.

Canucks GM Jim Benning said hes still working to sign restricted free agents Sven Baertschi, Adam Clendening and Frank Corrado.

But he wont be looking to re-sign pending unrestricted free agents Dan Hamhuis and Radim Vrbata this summer.

Were going to go into the season and see how it goes,said Benning of the two pending UFAs, following a three-on-three tournament at the Canucks prospects development camp at Shawnigan Lake School on Tuesday afternoon.

Weve touched base with their agents a little, but well see how it plays out.

Both Hamhuis, 32, and Vrbata, 34, will be on expiring contracts next season and are on track to become unrestricted free agents on July 1 if not re-signed. They could have been re-signed after the past July 1. Both have no-trade clauses.

Of the RFAs, Benning said: Were talking to (the RFAs), its going good. Hopefully, well get these guys done pretty quick.

Qualifying offers expire on July 15, but teams still hold the rights to the player. All three players will be subject to waivers and are expected to be on the Canucks roster next season.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/07/07/benning-making-progress-on-his-3-rfas-but-wont-re-sign-hamhuis-vrbata-this-summer/

$9.500 million between Hamhuis and Vrbata are potentially coming off the books either by the trade deadline for assets, or as free agents July 1st. Would they be retained for a playoff race? I don't think Vrbata is happy now that he has been taken off his "reason for signing" position beside the Sedins.

Another potential $5.250 million comes off the books between Prust, Weber and Bartkowski, who are on one year contracts.

Benning will have a potential $14.750 million dollar purse going into the 2016 free agency.

Owners will do what they will do and I hope it is the right decision at the time.

This seems like a huge assumption. It usually happens at least once every year, but there are also usually a few fixtures in the rumour mill that don't move. That's a huge price and it usually doesn't pan out, so I won't be surprised if we see less and less of it. It may happen, but it's a long way from a guarantee.

Dan Hamhuis is worth a 1st rounder minimum if you trade him, no questions asked, you could ask anyone in the league and they'd agree with that sentiment. Obviously we'd be getting a 20+ pick since only a playoff team would trade for him as a rental, but Hamhuis is as solid as you can get. Coburn went for a 1st and a 3rd (plus Gudas), and Hamhuis > Coburn by a wide, wide margin. Hamhuis is so much better than Coburn... lol

If Vrbata can also pot around 25~ goals around the deadline, he will most certainly fetch us a 1st as well, based on previous years.

Dan Hamhuis is worth a 1st rounder minimum if you trade him, no questions asked, you could ask anyone in the league and they'd agree with that sentiment. Obviously we'd be getting a 20+ pick since only a playoff team would trade for him as a rental, but Hamhuis is as solid as you can get. Coburn went for a 1st and a 3rd (plus Gudas), and Hamhuis > Coburn by a wide, wide margin. Hamhuis is so much better than Coburn... lol

If Vrbata can also pot around 25~ goals around the deadline, he will most certainly fetch us a 1st as well, based on previous years.

Yeah, but he's not a used car. If there are several other Dmen on the market, but only a couple of teams want a rental.......you know what I mean?

Erat got the first rounder, but there were comparable guys that year, constantly being discussed on TSN, who were not traded, and not because their GMs had a change of heart.

I just think it is funny that some people see it as an established fact that not only are we guaranteed a deal, but also that only Benning's ineptitude stands in the way of getting the consensus value.

Archived