The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Eklund says Canucks interested in Lars Eller

Vey is 2 years younger and only had 3 less points than Eller last season.

I'd rather keep working with Vey and see if he can elevate his game.

I have to agree here Deniro. Even though Eller is a much bigger man 6'2 209 and does take more shots we totally need to see if Vey can elevate his game. With only 93 nhl games under his belt Vey has some learnin to do. No need to dump cash on almost the same point production of Eller.

I have to agree here Deniro. Even though Eller is a much bigger man 6'2 209 and does take more shots we totally need to see if he can elevate his game. With only 93 nhl games under his belt Vey has some learnin to do. No need to dump cash on almost the same point production of Eller.

Not to mention we already have guys that can play like Eller coming up. Guys that will cost alot less than 3.5 mil.

Vey on the other hand brings a mix of skill and playmaking ability that we have been lacking. Every level he's been at, his numbers have trended upwards. With a great summer of training I don't see why he can't keep that trend going.

Eller seems to play well in the playoffs, during montreal's run two years ago he was a beast. He does not produce during the regular season though, tends to go on extended slumps. For some reason in the playoffs he uses his size and speed and can chip in a few goals. He also participates in scrums!

We are paying 3.5 mill for Sbisa, so I would trade Sbisa and Jensen for Eller.

Not saying Eklund deserves any credibility, but here are my thoughts:

1. Always been a big fan of Eller, and was really surprised when he didn't break out the year after the lockout (had 30 points in 46 during the lockout year).

2. Prust has spent time on Eller's line, and didn't look out of place as a top-9 forward.

3. Willie likes to role 4 lines, and Vey hasn't proven he deserves a spot on a playoff-bound team.

4. There may have been some smoke to what Linden said about trading Higgins. Higgins is a former MTL 1st round pick, was great for Hamilton, and broke 50 points in Montreal.

5. Cap hits: Eller with 3.5M, Vey + Higgins is 3.5M. Canucks can't take on much cap.

6. Another thing: Burrows lives in MTL during the off-season and particpated in Therrien's charity golf tournament. Things like that happen all the time, but you never know, there might be a connection there.

7. Adding to that point, Habs have a couple million in cap space.

8. GMJB and GMMB clearly have some level of a relationship considering the Kassian trade. I mean, Benning got ripped off, but maybe it was for unofficial future considerations.

9. There's been some rumours around Eller for a while, at least since near the beginning of last season.

10. Eller is a bit overpaid for the offense he brings (25-30 points) and could use a change of scenery, but is till young at 26.

11. Eller totally bonked in the playoffs, a player like Higgins or Burrows would certainly help Montreal if they're "going for it."

12. Canucks trying to get younger, Higgins and Burrows are both getting up there.

13. Eller has a lot of the characteristics GMJB likes: big (6'2, 215 pounds), plays both ends, fast/not slow, can play W or C, can PK, etc.

14. Eller has spent his whole career in MTL, but has put up good numbers internationally and has show glimpses of a larger potential. I personally would way prefer a line of Prust - Eller - Dorsett than Prust - Vey - Dorsett, even if it means 2.5M more.

15. Canucks could use space on the LW to fit Kenins, Sedin, Baertschi, Prust (plus Shinkaruk and Gaunce ready to be called up, and Jensen competing for a spot).

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Baertschi - Sutter - Vrbata

Kenins - Horvat - Dorsett

Prust - Eller - Hansen

Virtanen/Cracknell/Grenier/Cassels/UFA/etc.

Eklund has been on quite the losing streak lately. He can usually pull at least 1 or 2 trades out of his A$$ with some luck. No this year.

A rumour from 2 big hockey markets should give him some extra hits to get through these hard times.

Not too many Fla - Carolina proposals in the near future.

So we give up Higgins and Vey for Eller? :sick:

We gave up a 2nd for Vey, and could likely fetch a 2nd for Higgins at the deadline. So that's essentially two 2nd round picks traded for Eller.

Add to that we would be giving up 60 points from our roster in exchange for 27 at the same cost.

Not really good asset management IMO.

Well I think Montreal wants more offense, so it would likely be Vrbata going back the other way.

I don't think anyone here wants a deal like that since I think there's a good chance he could fetch us a 1st at the deadline.

Yep, Vrbata and Hammer at the deadline, at least one 1st, plus.

Not to mention we already have guys that can play like Eller coming up. Guys that will cost alot less than 3.5 mil.

Vey on the other hand brings a mix of skill and playmaking ability that we have been lacking. Every level he's been at, his numbers have trended upwards. With a great summer of training I don't see why he can't keep that trend going.

I fully agree with you there.I just do not see us trading this

Canucks Curse, on 30 Aug 2015 - 3:35 PM, said:snapback.png

I think I would do something like:

To MTL

Vrabata

Vey

Jensen

To VAN

Eller

2016 first

That would be us giving up depth and 3 first's for one 1st??/Why??????????

Vey will be better and has showed he can get points so calm down and wait and see how much better he will be.

I have liked Eller for a while. Offensively, he hasn't gotten a far shake in Montreal. Which is nutso because those guys need goals. But they also need a proper C vacancy for Galchenyuk. Reason he wasn't playing there already was their desperate need for wingers.

We would absolutely need to make a roster spot available for him. Montreal needs wingers.

Thinking Higgins + Jensen for Eller + pick.

Dorsett - Eller - Hansen

Prust - Horvat - Vey

Kenins, Virtanen

I don't like how far down Horvat would drop. But he could use another year in a low pressure situation to continue his development.

With Vey officially moving to wing we were needing a C. Unfortunately with Kenins on a one-way and Virtanen with a foot in, we were stuck.

If this move goes through it tells me that not only McCaan not make the team this year, but he'd spend next in the AHL - right where he should be.

We would absolutely need to make a roster spot available for him. Montreal needs wingers.

Thinking Higgins + Jensen for Eller + pick.

Dorsett - Eller - Hansen

Prust - Horvat - Vey

Kenins, Virtanen

I just don't see us needing Eller that badly to give up on Jensen just yet.

Horvat will be given his shot on the third line, and it doesn't make sense to add a 3.5 million dollar fourth line center.

With Ellar's cap hit, maybe that lowers his value? Would he be worth Vey, for example? Maybe they would take Burrows?

The only scenario that makes sense for me is if we're giving up a vet straight up for Eller because Montreal is going for it.

Any scenario where we're giving up a young player or a prospect for a player who would be redundant on the team IMO, doesn't make sense.

Archived