The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Eklund says Canucks interested in Lars Eller

Of course he could have a slump if given less opportunity, that goes without saying.

The point is he's shown he can likely put up 30 if given a chance, and there's no reason to believe he won't improve after a summer of intensive training.

His downfall might be lack of roster space on the Canucks, but for a team needing wingers he could probably find a permanent spot.

Yep that's true, esp. if Vrbata is the one moved and not Higgins or Vey (if anyone is moved..), then there would be an opening for Vey or Virtanen on the right-side.

For example, Vrbata for Eller + a 1st.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - Sutter - Virtanen/Vey

Baertschi - Horvat - Dorsett

Prust - Eller - Hansen

Kenins

That's cute... Why would a playoff team be selling? Lol.

They have to consider the future as well as the present.

If we have younger players pushing from below they may be able to afford to trade him and still stay competitive.

Passing up an extra first round pick for a playoff round or two does this team no good right now.

This very well could have some truth to it, however it's likely an old rumor that Eklund is just catching wind of.

I wouldn't be surprised if in their talks for trading Kassian that the Canucks didn't try and get Eller as part of the deal, but had to settle on Prust.

Ek's a businessman. He saves these up for the slow times because he knows that he can get a lot of hits to his website whenever a Canucks rumour or that of any other Canadian team gets mentioned.

Ek's a businessman. He saves these up for the slow times because he knows that he can get a lot of hits to his website whenever a Canucks rumour or that of any other Canadian team gets mentioned.

But how long has he been trying to say a Canucks-Habs trade will happen for? Minus the Kassian-Prust deal.

Except that he has size, can skate, and has a wicked release.

Those things aren't a dime a dozen FYI.

That's why we gotta keep being patient with him and hope for the best. Everyone was writing Grabner off at 22 as well.

I've still written off Grabner; he's nothing special and not worth building your team around. Again a dime a dozen. Another inconsistent player with no passion. Obviously I wouldn't let him walk as a RFA, but I am all for trading him if another team sees something we don't. I doubt he has any value though

I've still written off Grabner; he's nothing special and not worth building your team around. Again a dime a dozen. Another inconsistent player with no passion. Obviously I wouldn't let him walk as a RFA, but I am all for trading him if another team sees something we don't. I doubt he has any value though

Definitely not a foundational player, but he is one of the top 5 fastest players in the league and if we had given him a shot with Kesler full time, we probably could have built him up to get a decent return.

When you give a player 20 games in the NHL before dumping them you pretty much guarantee to get nothing for them.

Jensen has no value right now, so why trade him? Are we hurting for contract spots? It makes no sense to dump a player just because we don't think he'll be any good. This team can afford to be patient and see which players pan out and which don't. Jensen has one more season to get it together.

I watch a lot of Habs games and Eller has better speed and strength, and is also a beast on the PK, more so than Higgins and Vey. He is also not bad on faceoffs, and has proven he can light it up in the playoffs.

He also plays wing and center, increasing his versatility. The thing is under Therrien, its defence first and offensive creativity is stymied. Therrien is a regular season coach, hence why pittsburgh won the cap after he was fired. Eller is still young and is a comparable to Sutter. He also stood up to the Bruins in the playoffs. If there is a trade available I would take him.

Higgins

Vey or Jensen

For

Eller

Verby should be saved for the deadline IMO, or we keep him for a playoff push.

I watch a lot of Habs games and Eller has better speed and strength, and is also a beast on the PK, more so than Higgins and Vey. He is also not bad on faceoffs, and has proven he can light it up in the playoffs.

He also plays wing and center, increasing his versatility. The thing is under Therrien, its defence first and offensive creativity is stymied. Therrien is a regular season coach, hence why pittsburgh won the cap after he was fired. Eller is still young and is a comparable to Sutter. He also stood up to the Bruins in the playoffs. If there is a trade available I would take him.

Higgins

Vey or Jensen

For

Eller

Verby should be saved for the deadline IMO, or we keep him for a playoff push.

That would be a nice deal. Multiple different line possibilites if we do get Eller.

Utica signing. And guys like Prust aren't supposed to light it up in the playoffs. That's not their role. Weak judgement.

Lighting it up and showing up in playoff hockey are two extremely different things.

No one is expecting Prust, (playoff) Kracknell and Dorsett to light it up. They sure show up though, like Burrows.

Burrows always shows up. He can also light it up, especially when the game is on the line. In overtime, Burrows shows up and lights it up.

Vey hasn't shown that he can be as good as of a NHL as Eller is, even at Eller's current level. The dudes were only drafted 2 drafts apart, and I think there's a better chance Eller would break out with a chance on a new team + new PP than Vey does.

Eller has more skill and just as much offensive upside as Vey does. Vey doesn't have as much defensive or physical upside as Eller does.

I'm not saying put Vey on waivers, but if a better option like Eller comes along, the Canucks should take it.

I disagree. Vey has shown it in the first half of last season before hitting a wall. Inconsistency is common for rookies and sophomores so I'm willing to be patient on a guy that has shown he could do it on every level leading up to where he is. 2 years is a huge deal especially when you are talking about a rookie. I'm willing to bet Vey at year 3 will be better than Eller at year 3. Just a hunch, don't ask me for data, don't have it bro.

I would have done this for Eller:

Kassian straight up for Eller.

Would love to take a stab at Nathan Beaulieu. They had Markov and Gonchar as the ageing vets last season, but Subban is still a Norris-trophy candidate defenceman, and Petry is still a top-4 defenceman for a while.

Could have done this:

Kassian + Sbisa + Higgins for Eller and Beaulieu

I disagree. Vey has shown it in the first half of last season before hitting a wall. Inconsistency is common for rookies and sophomores so I'm willing to be patient on a guy that has shown he could do it on every level leading up to where he is. 2 years is a huge deal especially when you are talking about a rookie. I'm willing to bet Vey at year 3 will be better than Eller at year 3. Just a hunch, don't ask me for data, don't have it bro.

Well, in year 3 Eller had 30 points in 46 games (pace for 53 over 82) during a shortened season. He was also 2nd in hits amongst Montreal forwards, 3rd on his team in assists, 4th on his team in points, all while playing about 14 minutes a game under new coach Therrien.

If Vey can do that I'll very surprised, but it's possible.

He also plays wing and center, increasing his versatility. The thing is under Therrien, its defence first and offensive creativity is stymied. Therrien is a regular season coach, hence why pittsburgh won the cap after he was fired. Eller is still young.

Pretty much. Eller barely played with any of Montreal's top point getters and still managed 15 goals and almost 30 points on the 3rd line. Only 6 players on Montreal scored 15 goals (including Eller).

With decent linemates and a bit of PP time Eller still has way more untapped offensive potential.

Definitely not a foundational player, but he is one of the top 5 fastest players in the league and if we had given him a shot with Kesler full time, we probably could have built him up to get a decent return.

When you give a player 20 games in the NHL before dumping them you pretty much guarantee to get nothing for them.

Jensen has no value right now, so why trade him? Are we hurting for contract spots? It makes no sense to dump a player just because we don't think he'll be any good. This team can afford to be patient and see which players pan out and which don't. Jensen has one more season to get it together.

I agree but if another team asks for him in a trade to get a piece you want, you move him

Archived