The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Eklund says Canucks interested in Lars Eller

He can play wing too, problem being is we have multiple rookies pushing and the only thing we're really trying to do right now is move veterans IF NEEDED after Training Camp. Maybe move more pieces and get Eller while still making room for guys like Virtanen, Jensen, Grenier, Gaunce, maybe Cassels. The value would have to be spot on though.

Maybe move more pieces and get Eller while still making room for guys like Virtanen, Jensen, Grenier, Gaunce, maybe Cassels.

To Montreal: Vey

Jensen

Gaunce

To Vancouver: Eller

2nd 2017

Hmmm.

How are we making room for Jensen and Gaunce if we trade them?

We should not be trading any prospects right now, unless it's for other prospects. This team has just built up it's prospect pool, now we wanna trade them?

I often wonder if we would have been better off with Grabner instead of Raymond. I'm sure there are some opinions on this but at the time there was a roster spot for one or the other and a decision had to be made to risk losing one to waivers.

I guess in the long run,we really didn't end up with anything for either player.

Grabber needed two changes of scenery to get it going.

He can play wing too, problem being is we have multiple rookies pushing and the only thing we're really trying to do right now is move veterans IF NEEDED after Training Camp. Maybe move more pieces and get Eller while still making room for guys like Virtanen, Jensen, Grenier, Gaunce, maybe Cassels. The value would have to be spot on though. Maybe

To Montreal: Vey

Jensen

Gaunce

To Vancouver: Eller

2nd 2017

Wow, that is indescribably bad for Montreal. How does that improve Montreal at all? Eller is Better than Vey, Jensen is pretty much worthless in a trade right now, and Gaunce likely has noo chance at cracking their lien-up any time soon. So why would they even consider that?

That would imply Aquilini's are willing to be sellers at the deadline. When is the last time we were? I can't even remember...

They haven't been sellers since I can remember, but if the Aquilini's are on board with everything Benning and Co. have been saying, they need to start looking at life without the Sedins.

Right now we don't have enough high end talent coming up to replace them in the next 4 years, so the more we can rebuild now, the better the transition will go. That includes getting as many draft picks for pending UFAs as possible.

Grabber needed two changes of scenery to get it going.

Everyone always says that but nobody knows he wouldn't have got it going here had he been given an opportunity.

He was always a slow starter, everyone who followed his career knows that.

people also forget that 10-15 game s

Everyone always says that but nobody knows he wouldn't have got it going here had he been given an opportunity.

He was always a slow starter, everyone who followed his career knows that.

people also forget that 10-15 game span when Grabner-Kesler-Raymond played together as a unit...I don't know why it was broken up. It was entirely about their speed and forecheck and the other teams just looked entirely bewildered whenever that line was flying past them towards the net. I don't recall them scoring much, but one had to think they would have started clicking if left for a bit a unit.

They have to consider the future as well as the present.

If we have younger players pushing from below they may be able to afford to trade him and still stay competitive.

Passing up an extra first round pick for a playoff round or two does this team no good right now.

Vrbata / Hamhuis is the difference to win a round or two. That round or two could mean cup or no cup.

Neither of us can tell the future, but I think we'll be in deep contention. If we are, trading them would me a huge mistake.

That being said, if I'm wrong and we sit 10+ points out of playoff contention by the deadline, then definitely I'd trade vrby.

Let's say I'm wrong and we are out of contention, I'd be open to a deal like

Vrby to Pittsburgh for 1st + prospect (conditional 2018 first if Pitts makes scf)

Retain 50% of vrbys salary, Pitts makes scf with ease. Imagine bones, vrby kunitz 3rd line... Impeccable.

people also forget that 10-15 game span when Grabner-Kesler-Raymond played together as a unit...I don't know why it was broken up. It was entirely about their speed and forecheck and the other teams just looked entirely bewildered whenever that line was flying past them towards the net. I don't recall them scoring much, but one had to think they would have started clicking if left for a bit a unit.

Yea that line was deadly, it just needed time to gel.

I always got the feeling AV was unwilling to give certain players a chance no matter what they did. Almost like he wanted them to fail if they weren't his type of player.

GRABNER - KESLER - RAYMOND

COULDN'T SCORE - REFUSED TO PASS - COULDN'T STAY ON HIS FEET

That's why.

GRABNER - KESLER - RAYMOND

COULDN'T SCORE - REFUSED TO PASS - COULDN'T STAY ON HIS FEET

That's why.

Couldn't score, yet that's all he did at every other level, and what he continued to do in New York.

20 games is not enough time to determine anything. Again it's about building Grabner into something that can fetch a return. Management failed horribly to do that.

I hope they don't do the same thing with guys like Jensen and Shinkaruk.

Eller fits the JB mold alright (size, speed, physicality, shot), but we just got the one he wanted in Sutter. That being said, no harm in having another.

Higgins

Vey or Jensen

For

Eller

Two things:

1. What I like best about it is the opening of another roster spot (if it's Vey going).

2. Vey and Jensen are about to have the most important season of their careers, and being so young both still have pretty decent upside, as we'd be effectively selling low. As DeNiro says, not a big fan of selling prospects either, especially when they are just about NHL-ready. Taking on Eller also means taking on salary, so I'd prefer to see a mid-round pick in return as well.

Wow, that is indescribably bad for Montreal. How does that improve Montreal at all? Eller is Better than Vey, Jensen is pretty much worthless in a trade right now, and Gaunce likely has noo chance at cracking their lien-up any time soon. So why would they even consider that?

What are you talking about? Vey is younger and put up 24 points in his rookie year and will be more rectify in the East, Eller and his value is close in a way, Gaunce can move back to Center and take over one of Plekanec or Desharnais in the future, or he can take over T. Mitchell sooner... It's not that bad a deal, plus Montreals 2nd is likely going to be very low.

So we give up Higgins and Vey for Eller? :sick:

We gave up a 2nd for Vey, and could likely fetch a 2nd for Higgins at the deadline. So that's essentially two 2nd round picks traded for Eller.

Add to that we would be giving up 60 points from our roster in exchange for 27 at the same cost.

Not really good asset management IMO.

Asset management is not highest on JB's list.

His guys, and he's willing to pay them and for them, is more his style...

BTW, I have zero issue in a deal surrounding Higgins or Burrows for Eller. If Vey goes along as well? Then its just a sign of where the evaluation on Vey sits ATM.

What are you talking about? Vey is younger and put up 24 points in his rookie year and will be more rectify in the East, Eller and his value is close in a way, Gaunce can move back to Center and take over one of Plekanec or Desharnais in the future, or he can take over T. Mitchell sooner... It's not that bad a deal, plus Montreals 2nd is likely going to be very low.

Montreal doesn't need centres. They need top six scoring. This deal is a step backwards for them in every conceivable way. It does nothing to improve their shot at a cup. Which is the only reason they would look at moving Eller right now

Archived