The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Eklund says Canucks interested in Lars Eller

Eklund has it as an e3

No mention of what Habs want in return.

I see them in a kind of win now mode.

Not sure what to make of this rumour Canucks first 3Cs are set and unless they plan to move vey that 4c spot seems his to lose.

It is Eklund after all so don't flame the messenger

Vey moved to RW didn't he?

Definitely not a foundational player, but he is one of the top 5 fastest players in the league and if we had given him a shot with Kesler full time, we probably could have built him up to get a decent return.

When you give a player 20 games in the NHL before dumping them you pretty much guarantee to get nothing for them.

Jensen has no value right now, so why trade him? Are we hurting for contract spots? It makes no sense to dump a player just because we don't think he'll be any good. This team can afford to be patient and see which players pan out and which don't. Jensen has one more season to get it together.

Yup!

Yup.

Lets lock up all these type of centers when that's the positional strength of our prospect group.

Sign 'em up long-term so our prospects have nowhere to go.

Lose prospects for low return. Give up picks at the same time.

Makes sense.

^ This is spot on!

Its equally logical in Montreal's context. They are missing size down the middle. Trade Eller. Who needs a big 209 lb 2 way centre?

people also forget that 10-15 game s

people also forget that 10-15 game span when Grabner-Kesler-Raymond played together as a unit...I don't know why it was broken up. It was entirely about their speed and forecheck and the other teams just looked entirely bewildered whenever that line was flying past them towards the net. I don't recall them scoring much, but one had to think they would have started clicking if left for a bit a unit.

TBH I liked that line, they called it the ferrari line aha

It was fun to watch and I liked Grabner.

It ended because Grabner got hurt warming up with soccer in the pregame hallway soccer game.

That is if my memory serves me correctly!

Another site with presumably even less credibility than Eklund is saying the Canucks are among a few teams kicking the tires, with Washington close behind. He goes on to suggest a deal of Higgins and a 2nd for Eller and a 3rd. Honestly it all sounds like bull

http://thehockeypress.sportsblog.com/posts/3130300/nhl-trade-rumors--lars-eller-to-vancouver-canucks-chris-higgins-to-montreal-canadiens.html

Player: Lars Eller

Teams Interested: • VAN • WSH • STL

Trade Report: Per my sources/reports it is believed the Montreal Canadiens are looking to trade Lars Eller before the NHL season starts.

They have currently talked with the Vancouver Canucks, Washington Capitals, and the St. Louis Blues regarding Lars Eller.

It is also believed the Vancouver Canucks are the leading contenders on Eller, but the Washington Capitals aren't that far behind.

The Montreal Canadiens currently have Alex Galchenyuk, Tomas Plekanec, David Desharnais, Lars Eller, Torey Mitchell, ETC. The list goes on and on.

Alex Galchenyuk seems to be ready to take on a bigger role on the team, and Plekanec is locked as their number one C for now. That leaves Desharnais and Eller fighting for the number 3 spot.

It basically comes down to who can get you the most bank for your buck and that is Lars Eller. So by trading Eller you would acquire a scoring winger, which is a need for the Montreal Canadiens at the moment.

I don't exactly know when a trade will occur but I can confirm that Lars Eller is being shopped, a deal is imminent, Vancouver/Washington are the likely destinations, the return may include a scoring winger, and it's likely this trade could be official before the NHL season starts.

PROPOSED TRADE (idea):

Montreal Canadiens trade:

• Lars Eller

• 3rd round draft pick

Vancouver Canucks:

• Chris Higgins

• 2nd round draft pick

Another site with presumably even less credibility than Eklund is saying the Canucks are among a few teams kicking the tires, with Washington close behind. He goes on to suggest a deal of Higgins and a 2nd for Eller and a 3rd. Honestly it all sounds like bull

http://thehockeypress.sportsblog.com/posts/3130300/nhl-trade-rumors--lars-eller-to-vancouver-canucks-chris-higgins-to-montreal-canadiens.html

Trade Report: Per my sources/reports it is believed the Montreal Canadiens are looking to trade Lars Eller before the NHL season starts.

They have currently talked with the Vancouver Canucks, Washington Capitals, and the St. Louis Blues regarding Lars Eller.

It is also believed the Vancouver Canucks are the leading contenders on Eller, but the Washington Capitals aren't that far behind.

The Montreal Canadiens currently have Alex Galchenyuk, Tomas Plekanec, David Desharnais, Lars Eller, Torey Mitchell, ETC. The list goes on and on.

Alex Galchenyuk seems to be ready to take on a bigger role on the team, and Plekanec is locked as their number one C for now. That leaves Desharnais and Eller fighting for the number 3 spot.

It basically comes down to who can get you the most bank for your buck and that is Lars Eller. So by trading Eller you would acquire a scoring winger, which is a need for the Montreal Canadiens at the moment.

I don't exactly know when a trade will occur but I can confirm that Lars Eller is being shopped, a deal is imminent, Vancouver/Washington are the likely destinations, the return may include a scoring winger, and it's likely this trade could be official before the NHL season starts.

PROPOSED TRADE (idea):

• Lars Eller

• 3rd round draft pick

Vancouver Canucks:

• Chris Higgins

• 2nd round draft pick

Eller for Higgins was suggested on this board multiple times from the moment of the rumour - reported by Eklund.

I think it's something Benning would certainly do, considering his recent history of trades. We get younger, and harder to play against.

A lot of folks in here under-rating Eller imo...

May have been in Therien's doghouse at times, but I find some of Therien's decisions to be fairly odd at times, so I don't put a lot of significance in that.

What Eller did last year:

- put up 27 points playing primarily with Prust and Sekac, and to a lesser extent, DSP and De La Rose

- he had 37.1% offensive zone starts (48.8% finishes) again mid range quality of competition.

- he was a strong 51.7% in the faceoff circle.

- his underlying numbers (-2.9 relative corsi) were quite respectable in that context, and better than any of his linemates'.

I like his speed, his two-way strengths, ability to play harder minutes/high D zone starts, kill penalties, with good upside for that kind of role - a pretty versatile guy who'd strengthen the team down the middle - certainly defensively.

Eller is far more suited to the role this team needs to fill in the bottom 6 than Vey is, certainly at this point anyway.

Yep, plus Eller is way stronger on his feet and the puck than Vey is. A gritty line of Prust - Eller - Hansen would be tough to play against, and Eller's wrist shot would look good on the 2nd PP.

Eller for Higgins was suggested on this board multiple times from the moment of the rumour - reported by Eklund.

I think it's something Benning would certainly do, considering his recent history of trades. We get younger, and harder to play against.

I don't see it being a fit from Montreal's side. They need a legit top 6 scoring winger. Higgins doesn't fill that role on a contending team

What are you talking about? Vey is younger and put up 24 points in his rookie year and will be more rectify in the East, Eller and his value is close in a way, Gaunce can move back to Center and take over one of Plekanec or Desharnais in the future, or he can take over T. Mitchell sooner... It's not that bad a deal, plus Montreals 2nd is likely going to be very low.

And what do you suggest we do about the CAP, after all Eller has a 3.5 mil CAP?

PROPOSED TRADE (idea):

• Lars Eller

• 3rd round draft pick

Vancouver Canucks:

• Chris Higgins

• 2nd round draft pick

We don't need to take on an extra 1mil in CAP, as we only have 1.2 mil available now. The only trades I can see would be Burrows for Eller and Montreals 5th( Canucks draft pick).

Vrbata / Hamhuis is the difference to win a round or two. That round or two could mean cup or no cup.

Neither of us can tell the future, but I think we'll be in deep contention. If we are, trading them would me a huge mistake.

That being said, if I'm wrong and we sit 10+ points out of playoff contention by the deadline, then definitely I'd trade vrby.

Let's say I'm wrong and we are out of contention, I'd be open to a deal like

Vrby to Pittsburgh for 1st + prospect (conditional 2018 first if Pitts makes scf)

Retain 50% of vrbys salary, Pitts makes scf with ease. Imagine bones, vrby kunitz 3rd line... Impeccable.

Hate to burst your bubble about Vrbata, but what evidence do you have Vrbata is a difference maker. The Vrbata I saw this past spring vs. the Flames was quick to assume the fetal position every time he heard footsteps around him.

Vrbata is a regular season player. Keep him around to get you to the dance and once you're at the dance, tell him to assume his spot as a wall flower.

Never have I ever been more disappointed in a player than Vrbata...all glitz and glam during the regular season...nothing but a tin man in the playoffs.

We don't need to take on an extra 1mil in CAP, as we only have 1.2 mil available now. The only trades I can see would be Burrows for Eller and Montreals 5th( Canucks draft pick).

The trade idea isn't mine. It was in the article. Honestly I don't see trade that works for both teams.

I think if the Canucks are legitimately trying to make the trade trade for Eller the return has to be around Burrows or Vrbata. Considering Vrbata is basically a rental we would probably have to add in a lower pick. Burrows probably also gets us a lower pick back.

Seeing as Benning and Linden want to make th playoffs my money I on Vrbata being a trade bait. We retain a bit of salary so the cap works for both sides.

GRABNER - KESLER - RAYMOND

COULDN'T SCORE - REFUSED TO PASS - COULDN'T STAY ON HIS FEET

That's why.

uhhh, that's not really the case at all...

Grabner couldn't score MUCH, but again he was only given 20 games in which he scored 5 goals...not a bad first 20 nhl games...

Kesler didn't refuse to pass, he notched 50 assists that year. I think what everyone always defaults to is when Vigneault mentioned ONCE that Kesler should use his linemates more, but that was two years later...after he had stopped passing so much perhaps because...dadada...he DID have a linemate who COULDN"T STAY ON HIS FEET...

Raymond was consistently the most frustrating player to watch since Bulis and Hlavac before that (IMO), I can't imagine always having to have him as a linemate.

In that regard, I agree with Deniro in that Vigneault would always default to certain people both his favourites and his doghouse.

Yea that line was deadly, it just needed time to gel.

I always got the feeling AV was unwilling to give certain players a chance no matter what they did. Almost like he wanted them to fail if they weren't his type of player.

Grabner injured himself trying(?) to hit a guy in the playoffs. AV may not have ever played him again, but he didn't get the chance in any case. I can picture his face when he saw that.

Anyway, Florida payed a fair price for him and instantly waived him when they saw his fitness and compete. That woke him up for what, two seasons? Regardless, I agree. Fack Sturm. Throw your first rounder in there for a while. That injury was awkward as balls though.

uhhh, that's not really the case at all...

Grabner couldn't score MUCH, but again he was only given 20 games in which he scored 5 goals...not a bad first 20 nhl games...

Kesler didn't refuse to pass, he notched 50 assists that year. I think what everyone always defaults to is when Vigneault mentioned ONCE that Kesler should use his linemates more, but that was two years later...after he had stopped passing so much perhaps because...dadada...he DID have a linemate who COULDN"T STAY ON HIS FEET...

Raymond was consistently the most frustrating player to watch since Bulis and Hlavac before that (IMO), I can't imagine always having to have him as a linemate.

In that regard, I agree with Deniro in that Vigneault would always default to certain people both his favourites and his doghouse.

You could get good on drunk playing the May Ray Down game.

Vigneault: "He needs to play between the dots and stay on his feet." Ouch. It's the fcking NHL.

Hate to burst your bubble about Vrbata, but what evidence do you have Vrbata is a difference maker. The Vrbata I saw this past spring vs. the Flames was quick to assume the fetal position every time he heard footsteps around him.

Vrbata is a regular season player. Keep him around to get you to the dance and once you're at the dance, tell him to assume his spot as a wall flower.

Never have I ever been more disappointed in a player than Vrbata...all glitz and glam during the regular season...nothing but a tin man in the playoffs.

I don't know man. That line never got the puck because Bonino could not win a draw. Vrbata wasn't balls to the walls but I didn't blame him for that line being ineffective.

Archived