The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Eklund says Canucks interested in Lars Eller

I don't know man. That line never got the puck because Bonino could not win a draw. Vrbata wasn't balls to the walls but I didn't blame him for that line being ineffective.

I know I'm being hard on Vrbata and have been since the playoffs...but I think we all expected a lot more out of him and the second line than what we got in the playoffs.

Bonino didn't do a whole lot as well, and you're right in that you need the centreman to carry the play and set the tone (which Bonino obviously failed to do).

But from where Vrbata's level of play was down the stretch to what the Canucks got out of him in the playoffs (in spite of his okay stat line), he was the single biggest disappointment for me. And I was leading the "Vrbata was the best UFA signing of 2014" parade all season long...maybe I have some latent embarrassment that I was banging the Vrbata drum all regular season. I know...I got issues.

I don't follow Eklund at all - does he churn stuff like this out all summer, or is he just capitalizing on late-off-season boredom in major markets?

Like, there hasn't been a noteworthy trade since Bonino/Sutter a month ago, has there? And aside from that and Patrick Sharp, nothing since June.

Reminds me of the time during the finals this year, driving around with my die hard Habs friend. He got a text and looked up excitedly saying they had just traded Plekanec + 1st for Malkin. He wanted it to be true so badly he wouldn't listen to my many reasons it was obviously fake, so, a hasty bet was made, and an hour later I was the proud new owner of a 12-pack.

anyhow, with that pointless story out of the way, I quite like Eller and would love to see him in Canucks gear.

I don't follow Eklund at all - does he churn stuff like this out all summer, or is he just capitalizing on late-off-season boredom in major markets?

Like, there hasn't been a noteworthy trade since Bonino/Sutter a month ago, has there? And aside from that and Patrick Sharp, nothing since June.

Reminds me of the time during the finals this year, driving around with my die hard Habs friend. He got a text and looked up excitedly saying they had just traded Plekanec + 1st for Malkin. He wanted it to be true so badly he wouldn't listen to my many reasons it was obviously fake, so, a hasty bet was made, and an hour later I was the proud new owner of a 12-pack.

anyhow, with that pointless story out of the way, I quite like Eller and would love to see him in Canucks gear.

He's the only blogger who reports stuff like this in August. A lot of people eat it up. But really he's just a blogger. Sometimes he passes his proposal ideas as rumours.

that's a GREAT story! I'm all for good endings.

I feel like Eklund has been a little mellow this summer actually...he's usually got more rumours that he's talking about.

I know I'm setting myself up to get flamed, but I'm one of the very few who likes what Eklund does. I believe him when he says he actually hears stuff from sources and then he tries to pre-qualify the strength of the source/rumour through his e system.

So he's not making stuff up out of thin air (although maybe some of his sources are) and he posts stuff as a "rumour". His sources have gotten better through the years and he has as well.

There's no question that he's throwing proverbial spaghetti against the wall, but every now and then something DOES stick. There have been a couple/few trades over the past years that he's spoken about before anyone else (please don't ask me to list them, I forget...I just remember at the time thinking "wow, that was a big trade...and eklund was getting laughed at two days ago when he was talking about it and nobody else was.")

We don't need to take on an extra 1mil in CAP, as we only have 1.2 mil available now. The only trades I can see would be Burrows for Eller and Montreals 5th( Canucks draft pick).

Going by that article, sounds like Burrows to me. Not sure where Eller would fit though, but I do like him.

To Mtl:

Burr+

To Van

Eller+

Sedin - Sedin - Eller

Baertschi - Sutter - Vrbata

Kenins - Horvat - Dorsett

Higgins - Prust - Hansen

Vey

Or

Sedins Sedin Vrbata

Baertschi Eller Sutter

We get a bit younger but is Eller worth Burrows? I don't see much improvement in our lineup. Maybe if Eller was a righty...

To Mtl:

Burr+

To Van

Eller+

Sedin - Sedin - Eller

Baertschi - Sutter - Vrbata

Kenins - Horvat - Dorsett

Higgins - Prust - Hansen

Vey

We get a bit younger but is Eller worth Burrows? I don't see much improvement in our lineup. Maybe if Eller was a righty...

Ive only ever seen Eller as a cman.......anyone know how odten he plays on the w?

Tough to see Burr go, but at least he would be going home, likely to finish his career.

Ive only ever seen Eller as a cman.......anyone know how odten he plays on the w?

Tough to see Burr go, but at least he would be going home, likely to finish his career.

In Montreal it was usually Galchenyuk or Desharnais who moved wing. But the transition from C to W isn't very hard. We've done it with multiple players before.

In Montreal it was usually Galchenyuk or Desharnais who moved wing. But the transition from C to W isn't very hard. We've done it with multiple players before.

Its not a piece of cake either. Mathias wasnt nearly as effective when he moved to the wing.

Its not a piece of cake either. Mathias wasnt nearly as effective when he moved to the wing.

True, the positioning can take a bit to get used to. Eller's "official" positio n would be wing, but he's be there as a sub if say Henrik got thrown out of the dot. He is also great on the PK. Positions are just where you stand at the faceoff. Once the game is moving you can put anybody anywhere.

Personally I found it harder to watch him play center. The problem with Matthias was that he wasn't very agile. He didn't use his size and that was his downfall. But that's a discussion for another thread.

Meh. I can't necessarily agree there - and I think Matthias is far more the exception than the rule - but regardless moving Matthias to wing was a necessity - he was weak in the faceoff circle - and on top of that, he has a case of Booth syndrome - ie tunnel vision - that made his effectiveness as a center at the opposition end of the ice less than ideal. I think Matthias' days as a center are behind him. His playmaking abilities are....limited to say the least.

In any event, having another line that can be rolled up to 15 minutes - which Eller would give this team (where Vey does not) - would be a really nice option to have (allowing them to continue to limit the wear and tear on the Sedins) - as would the potential to also situationally load up a pair of centers on a shutdown line. Eller/Sutter together could be pretty stifling situational option and give you both a right and left handed draw on one line...

I'd be pretty happy if this team added Elller - I think the posters above who think 'we' have too many of this 'type' of center on the roster and in the system oversimplify the options / are shortsighted.

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if this is an old rumour that Eklund finally caught wind of - I wouldn't be surprised if Eller was a simultaneous target to their intent to acquire Sutter. Whether that intention was or still is the case, who knows.

Meh. I can't necessarily agree there - and I think Matthias is far more the exception than the rule - but regardless moving Matthias to wing was a necessity - he was weak in the faceoff circle - and on top of that, he has a case of Booth syndrome - ie tunnel vision - that made his effectiveness as a center at the opposition end of the ice less than ideal. I think Matthias' days as a center are behind him. His playmaking abilities are....limited to say the least.

In any event, having another line that can be rolled up to 15 minutes - which Eller would give this team (where Vey does not) - would be a really nice option to have (allowing them to continue to limit the wear and tear on the Sedins) - as would the potential to also situationally load up a pair of centers on a shutdown line. Eller/Sutter together could be pretty stifling situational option and give you both a right and left handed draw on one line...

I'd be pretty happy if this team added Elller - I think the posters above who think 'we' have too many of this 'type' of center on the roster and in the system oversimplify the options / are shortsighted.

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if this is an old rumour that Eklund finally caught wind of - I wouldn't be surprised if Eller was a simultaneous target to their intent to acquire Sutter. Whether that intention was or still is the case, who knows.

Maybe he was supposed to be involved in the kassian deal but the player going back had a no trade clause to waive and required additional time

So they went ahead with the deal with a verbal

I owe you sort of transaction in place

Really reaching I know

But it could happen

Archived