The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Writing Opportunities?

Heidi16

here's how it goes, homeboy:

step 1: start a blog.

step 2: practice. don't suck. if you suck, keep practicing. be honest with yourself, you probably suck. PRACTICE. read. practice. read. practice. find a "voice"

step 3: find "publications" (newspapers, blogs, etc.) that interest you

step 4: familiarize yourself with "their voice" -- this is also known as READING. see if your voice/style fits in.

step 5: if it doesn't, keep looking. if it does, contact them.

step 6: if you are lucky, they will ask to see your work.

--Positivity interlude: if they don't respond, don't get disheartened. keep looking--

step 7: you link them your blog (see step 1)

step 8: they reject you.

step 9: rinse, repeat.

step 10: eventual success

What comma?

TBH I could use help with my blog.

The Hockey Writers may also be hiring, one of my friends now writes on the Wings and I don't even know if he has any experience writing previously.

Please let me know the best way to contact you. I'd love to help you with your blog. Thank you for the suggestion.

here's how it goes, homeboy:

step 1: start a blog.

step 2: practice. don't suck. if you suck, keep practicing. be honest with yourself, you probably suck. PRACTICE. read. practice. read. practice. find a "voice"

step 3: find "publications" (newspapers, blogs, etc.) that interest you

step 4: familiarize yourself with "their voice" -- this is also known as READING. see if your voice/style fits in.

step 5: if it doesn't, keep looking. if it does, contact them.

step 6: if you are lucky, they will ask to see your work.

--Positivity interlude: if they don't respond, don't get disheartened. keep looking--

step 7: you link them your blog (see step 1)

Thank you for the advice.

I read an article by a successful (meaning she could earn a living doing it) writer and she stated she was rejected over 300 times before she got her first real paycheck. If you cant handle rejection its not the gig for you.

Or you can be like James Patterson and pump out novels at a pace of more than one a month and make $80+ million a year.

I read an article by a successful (meaning she could earn a living doing it) writer and she stated she was rejected over 300 times before she got her first real paycheck. If you cant handle rejection its not the gig for you.

Or you can be like James Patterson and pump out novels at a pace of more than one a month and make $80+ million a year.

most of those trashy novelists like Patterson don't actually write their books - he hires writers to turn his garbage ideas into fully formed stories, and he provides "treatments" to them - he's a fraud, in other words

Archived