The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anti-Gay Kentucky County Clerk Jailed for Refusing to Issue Marriage Licences

TOMapleLaughs

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2015/09/03/rowan-county-ky-court-clerk-marriage-licenses-gays/71635794/

kentucky-clerk.jpg

"Only God can be my judge."

Wrong.

This is not a gay or lesbian issue, marriage issue, or a word of God issue.

It's called separation of church and state. As a state employee, you're not entitled to envoke religious beliefs into your job, period, let lone to deny the rights of the civilians you serve. If you have a problem with this, then don't work for the state. Simple enough. Right?

She should be fired immediately for a plethora of reasons, however incarcerating her is a step too far.

Curious why the judge couldn't adjust the fines accordingly, like starting with a base amount and doubling it every day she refuses to comply. I feel like that might work quicker than if she decides to become a martyr for her cause and fight from jail.

And what happens while she's there? Is there someone else temporarily sworn in to grant licenses, or is everything on hold while this plays out?

The law is written to decide how much someone can be fined. A judge is limited to the scope of what the law says they can be fined for -- so can't just fine people indefinitely like that. Businesses tend to have that sort of punishment, not individuals. For a contempt crime it's probably not much in fines, and more stiff on jail.

While she's in jail someone else will probably take her place, or it will be vacant (though it wouldn't make sense, given the many functions that position entails). Someone can just go to another county (i.e. a neighbouring county that complies with the law) and get the marriage licenses if they wanted it that bad. People pressed the county in particular because of the moral impetus for forcing someone to comply with the law and cease their discrimination.

She should be fired immediately for a plethora of reasons, however incarcerating her is a step too far.

Criminal contempt is easily a crime that merits jail. If you defy the law and a court has to then compel you by law and you ignore it still, it's contempt of a court order.

The tricky part about "firing" her is if she's an elected or appointed clerk. An elected official cannot just be fired.

The law is written to decide how much someone can be fined. A judge is limited to the scope of what the law says they can be fined for -- so can't just fine people indefinitely like that. Businesses tend to have that sort of punishment, not individuals. For a contempt crime it's probably not much in fines, and more stiff on jail.

While she's in jail someone else will probably take her place, or it will be vacant (though it wouldn't make sense, given the many functions that position entails). Someone can just go to another county (i.e. a neighbouring county that complies with the law) and get the marriage licenses if they wanted it that bad. People pressed the county in particular because of the moral impetus for forcing someone to comply with the law and cease their discrimination.

Criminal contempt is easily a crime that merits jail. If you defy the law and a court has to then compel you by law and you ignore it still, it's contempt of a court order.

The tricky part about "firing" her is if she's an elected or appointed clerk. An elected official cannot just be fired.

Good point

It's called separation of church and state. As a state employee, you're not entitled to envoke religious beliefs into your job, period, let lone to deny the rights of the civilians you serve. If you have a problem with this, then don't work for the state. Simple enough. Right?

While most of what you say here is correct, it has nothing to do with the constant misuse of the phrase "separation of church and state". It actually refers to the 1st Amendment, protecting the church from the government, not the other way around.

She shouldn't have this job. If the law changed and she can't abide by those changes and still do her job, it is up to her to step down and find something else to do.

Yeah I wondered if it was limited for individuals, or maybe a state by state thing. I've definitely heard of exponential fines being levied against businesses and local governments.

How does someone that hideous get married four times and mother children? Meanwhile I can't get a girlfriend recently. She must be a dominatrix or do something wild in the bed room. Or maybe it's just not that difficult to hook dip shart losers with the same moronic beliefs.

Jeebus, you could show a movie on that forehead.

Lol

I love it when the inner voice of the people escapes.

More of this please.

Yeah I wondered if it was limited for individuals, or maybe a state by state thing. I've definitely heard of exponential fines being levied against businesses and local governments.

Yeah it would be each county in the state.

And while this lady is making all the news, from what I've read there are 2 other counties in Kentucky with clerks who refuse to issue licenses to gay couples.

Obviously the stupid is thicker in some states.

"Anti-gay" -- typical unbiased media reporting, lol.

Does "pro-gay" or "neutral" apply? No. But I guess you could use "pro-Christian?" However in this context "anti-gay" seems more suitable, considering this is of course a gay rights incident, of which there has been several since the marriage law was passed. Sometimes isn't media bias as much as what's actually happening.

How does someone that hideous get married four times and mother children? Meanwhile I can't get a girlfriend recently. She must be a dominatrix or do something wild in the bed room. Or maybe it's just not that difficult to hook dip shart losers with the same moronic beliefs.

Really, four times? Talk about hypocrisy.

Really, four times? Talk about hypocrisy.

Well 3 different men but 4 marriages, she came back to her 2nd after separating from her 3rd who she had children with 5 mos after separating from 2nd, so that means the children with the 3rd were conceived while she was married to 2nd.

Mute point because she found Jesus after all that bull %^&*... The devil had control of her life until 4 years ago when she found god.

Archived