The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anti-Gay Kentucky County Clerk Jailed for Refusing to Issue Marriage Licences

TOMapleLaughs

I would hope the same.. I can guarantee you the response from me would be the same. :lol:

Most people that would normally support this lady (i.e. her voters) essentially say she should do her job. So.. no doubt if she continues to defy the courts she'll just sit in jail in contempt until the voters remove her and elect someone else to do their job (far more likely in this case), or until she's impeached and removed (far less likely).

I hate it when smug government employees and officials, especially lowly county officials like this (akin to an upper level elected employee at, say, Peel Region's Service Ontario) believe they have far more broad powers than they do.

Do you see this any differently than Obama and a variety of mayors in the US and more recently Canada (Toronto, Hamilton) going to great lengths ignoring, and in some cases interfering with the enforcement of immigration laws?

I heard someone talking about the similarity recently, and it got me to thinking. In the case of immigration laws and illegal Sanctuary Cities, I feel it is even worse, since the laws were established well before the elected official came into office. Small consolation, but at least in Davis' case, the law changed after she was elected.

Do you see this any differently than Obama and a variety of mayors in the US and more recently Canada (Toronto, Hamilton) going to great lengths ignoring, and in some cases interfering with the enforcement of immigration laws?

I heard someone talking about the similarity recently, and it got me to thinking. In the case of immigration laws and illegal Sanctuary Cities, I feel it is even worse, since the laws were established well before the elected official came into office. Small consolation, but at least in Davis' case, the law changed after she was elected.

It's a strange precedent. In Canada's case more confusing since the federal government's authority over provinces is a little more rigid and defined, whereas in the US the states (and their respective counties/cities/townships) have far more discretion on their own, even in light of the Supremacy Clause.

Sanctuary cities are no different than what Kim Davis is doing, and I hope they get their comeuppance as soon as possible as well. They don't get to decide to enforce federal law when they want -- and it's very clear the Feds are solely responsible for immigration matters and the Supremacy Clause is in effect here. That's not their job either. Same with Obama.. it's not his job to decide whether or not to follow laws. :sadno: So much unaccountability.

It's a strange precedent. In Canada's case more confusing since the federal government's authority over provinces is a little more rigid and defined, whereas in the US the states (and their respective counties/cities/townships) have far more discretion on their own, even in light of the Supremacy Clause.

Sanctuary cities are no different than what Kim Davis is doing, and I hope they get their comeuppance as soon as possible as well. They don't get to decide to enforce federal law when they want -- and it's very clear the Feds are solely responsible for immigration matters and the Supremacy Clause is in effect here. That's not their job either. Same with Obama.. it's not his job to decide whether or not to follow laws. :sadno: So much unaccountability.

Could you imagine the feds playing the same game?

We'll pick and choose who we give money too based on our beliefs. Oh you choose to not accept federal law? Well we choose to not give you your budget this year.

That would stop things fast

Well, contemporary Christians tend to cherrypick those things as justification for treating gay people differently. I'm pretty sure one can find many more parts of the bible where you're supposed to treat people with respect and dignity and leave the judging to "God".

And of course liberals tend to misconstrue the "god-given" thing (people looking at 1700s writings in 2015 context), which is pretty common for people who disregard the US Constitution and it's roots. Willful ignorance and revisionist history is common for them.

lol yuh. "We can't serve gay people cuz being gay is a sin." Well, so is being human so why don't you get out of public service all together ya twit.

MOREHEAD, Ky. — A defiant Kentucky clerk said Monday she will not interfere with her deputies if they keep issuing marriage licences to same-sex couples, but she declared they will not be authorized by her and questioned their validity.

It was Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis’s first day back in the office after a stint in jail for five days for defying a federal judge.

“I don’t want to have this conflict. I don’t want to be in the spotlight. And I certainly don’t want to be a whipping post,” Davis said, reading from a hand-written statement outside the courthouse where she works. “I am no hero. I’m just a person that’s been transformed by the grace of God, who wants to work, be with my family. I just want to serve my neighbors quietly without violating my conscience.”

Davis, an Apostolic Christian, stopped issuing licences after the Supreme Court effectively legalized gay marriage. U.S. District Judge David Bunning held her in contempt and ordered her to jail. In her absence, her deputies issued at least seven licences to gay couples and altered the forms to exclude Davis’s name.

The deputy clerk who issued the licences, Brian Mason, said Monday that will continue to hand out the licences despite his boss’s objections.

The governor, the attorney general and the county attorney have said the licences are valid. Only Davis and her attorneys claim otherwise.

Davis, who believes gay marriage is a sin, has become a hero to many conservative Christians after she stopped issuing the licences.

On Friday, Davis’s attorneys filed an appeal seeking another delay in issuing licences.

In their motion to the Sixth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals, her attorneys argued that all the same-sex couples who sued Davis for a licence received one from her deputies while she was in jail. Therefore, they said, her office should not be required to issue them to any more couples once she returns to work.

Bunning wrote that his mandate to issue licences applied to all couples, not only those who filed suit. But Davis’s lawyers allege that order was issued improperly, and again have asked for a delay.

The tension in Rowan County reached fever pitch last week, as protesters, presidential candidates and news crews from across the country descended on the small town of Morehead.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/defiant-kentucky-clerk-fresh-out-of-jail-declares-that-she-will-not-authorize-same-sex-marriage-licences

:picard:

Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that she's a Christian, that she believes in Jesus, etc. But this is almost starting to become militant, and that's not right.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/defiant-kentucky-clerk-fresh-out-of-jail-declares-that-she-will-not-authorize-same-sex-marriage-licences

:picard:

Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that she's a Christian, that she believes in Jesus, etc. But this is almost starting to become militant, and that's not right.

lol..

"I just want to serve my neighbors quietly without violating my conscience."

Hey dumbass, your neighbours, from your very own county, are gay and want to get married.

So no.. you don't want to serve your neighbours. Simply put, you want to decide policy that you have no authority to decide.

Also, this:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/09/14/kentucky-clerk-kim-davis-due-to-return-to-work-monday/

The appeals court has already dismissed Davis' primary argument that her religious faith should exempt her from licensing a gay marriage. "It cannot be defensibly argued that the holder of the Rowan County Clerk's office, apart from who personally occupies that office, may decline to act in conformity with the United States Constitution as interpreted by a dispositive holding of the United States Supreme Court," a panel wrote two weeks ago when it rejected her last appeal.

Need to stick that on her fricken office window so while she's acting like Gollum in her office/cave, she can read until she understands it.

that´s what happen when you give power to a person that isn´t mentally prepared for the amout of responsability that comes with that power...

that "woman" (she looks like "Jabba the Hut" from Star Wars) isn´t prepared...

doesn´t matter of what she thinks. she works for the government and not for the church. if the government says "ok for gay marriage" so she must comply with that of look for another job.

althought I don´t think nice gay people having sex in public (as well the straight ones too) I respect the fact that if gays want get married that´s ok. they must have the same rights and the same duties as anyone...

my personal opinion is one thing. BUT I have to respect their decision. if people fell fine about being gay so go nuts. less competition for me...

being gay doesn´t make you more or less person than anybody. it´s a sexual choice, just like men who prefer blondy or brunnetes. some men like blonde women, some like black woman. it´s a sexual choice.

Religion is getting to much into the society. if God like gays or not it´s something to be showed after the death. while alive people have to understand that we live in 21st century and not in the Middle Age. we have science and tecnology.

and let´s face it. if gays want get married they will do it. we cannot stop it. they will marry in Kentucky or in Alaska and doing it they will bring their money to the state allowing them to get married there.

US complain about Islam but see what Jesus is doing to US? everything is based on "What would Jesus do?"

republicans ask candidates about what they think about God, Democrats do the same thing. USA is also guided by religion, it´s just a diferent one.

honestly I bet that Jesus is looking at us and saying: "and I died for these morons?"

Glad I live in a country so f#¨%&%$ up that people don´t interfere on personal sexual decisions. as long you don´t commit a crime your sexual preferences belongs only to you

Archived