The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Metal detectors being introduced this year... chaos?

DonaldBrashear

If you look at the over all big picture that's going on, especially in the US, they are using the security issue to slowly take away people's freedoms and privacy rights! I for one disagree with it!

If you look at the over all big picture that's going on, especially in the US, they are using the security issue to slowly take away people's freedoms and privacy rights! I for one disagree with it!

You have every right to stay home, and watch on TV. cameras on every street corner, yes you might have s point. " Big Brother is watching you". Metal doctors at sporting events, is a big difference.

I just saw that the Canucks are implementing metal detectors this year as part of an NHL mandate. Other NHL teams have been using these for a while, presumably without any hiccups. However... Rogers Arena isn't the "normal" type of arena. It has a lot less entrances due to the design and my tiny brain can't comprehend how on earth they are going to manage to get 18,000 people through metal detectors in a window of about 30 minutes (which is when the majority of people arrive).

Assuming it takes an average of 15 seconds per person, per detector (which I think is generous), that's 120 people per metal detector in a 30 minute span. So to get 18,000 people through, you would need to have 150 metal detectors and 150 trained qualified people working them. Even if we assume some people arrive early, which they will, and only 15,000 people will arrive between 6:30 and 7:00, this still seems like a massive burden and I don't see how it works given the layout of Rogers Arena. Seems like there will be a huge chokehold somewhere.

If I were going to the home opener I'd be arriving really early...

It's because of all of the shootings at NHL games in the lastt century. Finally they're doing something about it.

It will work but it will be chaos during the opener and early season games. There will be articles and complaints because lines will be long. Pre-season won't help because it's lightly attended. Everything will be smooth and there will be a confidence and then opening night will hit and all heck will break loose.

It will work but it will be chaos during the opener and early season games. There will be articles and complaints because lines will be long. Pre-season won't help because it's lightly attended. Everything will be smooth and there will be a confidence and then opening night will hit and all heck will break loose.

Yeah couldn't have said it better myself. There will be an article in "The Province" the next day with fans interviewed talking about how they had to wait in line for an hour and didn't get into the arena until almost the 1st intermission. Then you'll see a Canucks rep apologizing and saying that they will "add more metal detectors" and "better train their staff". After a few games somehow it will all work itself out. Should be fun to watch the chaos ensue though. That's the main point of this thread I guess. I have ADD, and so naturally I love chaos, and I wanted to bring it to everyone's attention that chaos is about to happen... :D

I dont get it, ticket prices are so high I dont think your average criminal can afford to go to nucks games anymore? Also the riots happened outside the arena, maybe somebody can come up with a policy to use metal detectors on fans outside in the streets? Lets create a petition asap

Obviously, you are not a drug dealer. They can afford season tickets easily. Look at the cars they drive.

The sad thing will be how many people will have to have their concealed weapons confiscated. They should have a uniformed officer at every gate to arrest anyone who is carrying a concealed weapon is it's almost totally illegal to do so in Canada with a few rare exceptions.

The focus is on the health and safety of the paying public. What may seem like an inconvenience initially is meant to be for our own good. I say let the security experts manage the process, arrive a little early and enjoy the game.

That's what the people who are always stealing our freedoms say. It's always for our own good. I'm guessing you've been listening to Stephen Harper a bit too much. Like Bill c-51 is for the public good- yea right.

People are going to jump down my throat now I'm sure. I'm not saying I'm against metal detectors per se, but next thing they'll want is to introduce the body scanners and some perv is going to be jerking off in a back room to the stored images. The public needs to have more input in the laws and security measures they are forced to endure "for their own good".

I'd like to think they learn from the experiences at the other arenas, and use what works well and avoid the early mistakes. They've had scanning here at the Pond for a few years, where people line up a ways back from the arena entrances. Sure, it takes some time, but not that big a deal... be prepared and while in line, get your phone/keys/etc. out of your pockets and be ready to go. For those with purses or small bags, a quick scan through there as well, perhaps with a smaller wand, and you're good to go.

Here, they use the wands, and it takes very little time. And, there is no line to get into the building once this is done. The net effect I think is pretty small, as long as they have enough stations for it. Not sure how well it will work for you when the weather turns cold/wet, though.

It would be a good idea for management to put out some helpful hints on how attendees can help keep the lines flowing.

Note to the Canucks.

You have just lost me as an, at the game, customer. I will NOT be treated like I am a criminal or potential problem.

I refuse to go through all detectors, I refuse to leave my bag at any stores "customer service' desk.

Either let me in, without treating me like a caged beast or criminal or refuse me entrance, I am fine with either.

I dont think its a big deal. Many stadiums I have been to have this, its never been an issue, or seemed to slow down entrance.

It would be nice if they maybe let people into the arena an extra 30 minutes early.

I don't understand people getting upset. The Canucks are spending additional money to keep fans safer, and people get all mad.

I don't think its really needed here? I can't recall any even minor incidents happening over the decades......maybe the NHL is kind of forcing them to do this.

How many issues have they had in the past to make this necessary? Just another unnecessary security measure to control everyone.

Dozens of stabblings every game. Oh the carnage, the fear.

It's slave-training, pure and simple. And of course, it's the well-conditioned zombies that don't see it and don't care. In fact, they love it.

Some guy walked in a couple years back with a knife and went down near the dressing rooms. It was never reported, because they didnt want to scare anyone. But after that incident there was a hell of a lot more security.. I couldnt sneak in anymore :(

That's what the people who are always stealing our freedoms say. It's always for our own good. I'm guessing you've been listening to Stephen Harper a bit too much. Like Bill c-51 is for the public good- yea right.

People are going to jump down my throat now I'm sure. I'm not saying I'm against metal detectors per se, but next thing they'll want is to introduce the body scanners and some perv is going to be jerking off in a back room to the stored images. The public needs to have more input in the laws and security measures they are forced to endure "for their own good".

tin foil hat activate! Come on they are just metal detectors. Maybe everyone should just bring a gun with them, that sounds like a good way to keep themselves safe.

Archived