The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Metal detectors being introduced this year... chaos?

DonaldBrashear

Yeah couldn't have said it better myself. There will be an article in "The Province" the next day with fans interviewed talking about how they had to wait in line for an hour and didn't get into the arena until almost the 1st intermission. Then you'll see a Canucks rep apologizing and saying that they will "add more metal detectors" and "better train their staff". After a few games somehow it will all work itself out. Should be fun to watch the chaos ensue though. That's the main point of this thread I guess. I have ADD, and so naturally I love chaos, and I wanted to bring it to everyone's attention that chaos is about to happen... :D

"I have ADD, and so naturally I love chaos"

This sh!t for real?

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, the comparisons to totalitarian states and draconian laws are a bit overkill. I mean, this isn't the government putting you in jail without cause or listening in on your phone calls without your consent, it's a private company choosing to enforce security at their own venue.

On the other hand, the atmosphere of fear that it will create will sort of put a damper on things. It's nice to be able to go to a game and just have fun without worrying about crime, this kind of thing belongs more in parts of the US.

I will also venture that they are probably more worried about two drunk dudes from Surrey getting in a knife fight than they are about terrorists.

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, the comparisons to totalitarian states and draconian laws are a bit overkill. I mean, this isn't the government putting you in jail without cause or listening in on your phone calls without your consent, it's a private company choosing to enforce security at their own venue.

On the other hand, the atmosphere of fear that it will create will sort of put a damper on things. It's nice to be able to go to a game and just have fun without worrying about crime, this kind of thing belongs more in parts of the US.

I will also venture that they are probably more worried about two drunk dudes from Surrey getting in a knife fight than they are about terrorists.

By private company you mean the NHL? Because metal detectors are also being installed at the Air Canada Center in Leafsland.

I just saw that the Canucks are implementing metal detectors this year as part of an NHL mandate. Other NHL teams have been using these for a while, presumably without any hiccups. However... Rogers Arena isn't the "normal" type of arena. It has a lot less entrances due to the design and my tiny brain can't comprehend how on earth they are going to manage to get 18,000 people through metal detectors in a window of about 30 minutes (which is when the majority of people arrive).

Assuming it takes an average of 15 seconds per person, per detector (which I think is generous), that's 120 people per metal detector in a 30 minute span. So to get 18,000 people through, you would need to have 150 metal detectors and 150 trained qualified people working them. Even if we assume some people arrive early, which they will, and only 15,000 people will arrive between 6:30 and 7:00, this still seems like a massive burden and I don't see how it works given the layout of Rogers Arena. Seems like there will be a huge chokehold somewhere.

If I were going to the home opener I'd be arriving really early...

Works at Safeco and it has a low number of entrances as well

The NHL, sure. Does it make a difference? Still a private entity.

It does make a difference because if it would be Vancouver only, it would be an isolated thing and we go on. But if the ACC and Rogers Arena are doing it, I wonder if it is a Canada wide phenomenon or even a North America doctrine and for what? Terrorism?

The only terrorist that has hurt me so far is Harper. No other terrorist has taken more of our rights than that douche.

Metal detectors mean much more than just Rogers Arena.

So I would say there is a massive difference between one isolated event and a nation wide policy.

That's what the people who are always stealing our freedoms say. It's always for our own good. I'm guessing you've been listening to Stephen Harper a bit too much. Like Bill c-51 is for the public good- yea right.

People are going to jump down my throat now I'm sure. I'm not saying I'm against metal detectors per se, but next thing they'll want is to introduce the body scanners and some perv is going to be jerking off in a back room to the stored images. The public needs to have more input in the laws and security measures they are forced to endure "for their own good".

You might be straddling the line between public safety needs and tin foil hat. Sadly, the world HAS changed or at least or willingness to do something about risks has, and we do need to factor that into our daily lives. I'm mostly OK with that. I do agree, though, it can go too far, especially when it starts to get political, or into the whole "terrorism" area, which is rife with political motivations and fear mongering.

The focus is on the health and safety of the paying public. What may seem like an inconvenience initially is meant to be for our own good. I say let the security experts manage the process, arrive a little early and enjoy the game.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with future liability lawsuits...

It does make a difference because if it would be Vancouver only, it would be an isolated thing and we go on. But if the ACC and Rogers Arena are doing it, I wonder if it is a Canada wide phenomenon or even a North America doctrine and for what? Terrorism?

The o my terrorist that has hurt me so far is Harper. No other terrorist has taken more of our rights than that douche.

Metal detectors mean muchore than just Rogers Arena.

So I would say there is a massive difference between one isolated event and a nation wide policy.

It's an NHL policy, not a national policy. Are you saying that the government is forcing this upon the NHL? I agree about Harper, but to act like this is a secret plot to suppress our rights is a bit extreme. Things like Bill C51 (which are way worse) are already public knowledge, so I don't know why they'd feel the need to conceal something as small as metal detectors at NHL games. If you go to a concert at Rogers Arena or the Air Canada Centre or any arena, it would be up to those hosting the event whether they want to make use of the metal detectors or not. This is the NHL making a decision on its own, it's not a government policy.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with future liability lawsuits...

To say nothing of the PR nightmare if something crazy happens. I can't blame the NHL from trying to protect itself. I always find it a bit funny as whenever something happens like a stabbing or shooting, the news is full of talking heads going on about doing something about the violence. The minute someone tries to, people jump on the big brother, loss of personal freedoms side. Frankly, I should be free to go to a game and feel 100% safe. That's part of freedom too, and if a metal detector is the price, it seems like a pretty low one to me. These aren't cavity searches after all.

To say nothing of the PR nightmare if something crazy happens. I can't blame the NHL from trying to protect itself. I always find it a bit funny as whenever something happens like a stabbing or shooting, the news is full of talking heads going on about doing something about the violence. The minute someone tries to, people jump on the big brother, loss of personal freedoms side. Frankly, I should be free to go to a game and feel 100% safe. That's part of freedom too, and if a metal detector is the price, it seems like a pretty low one to me. These aren't cavity searches after all.

I'm surprised it's taken this long to get then installed. Everyone just wants to hate on something. Either it's the government doing something, or not doing something

When government and business intermingle to the point where one can't be distinguished from the other, this is fascism. Who is protecting who, exactly here?

The Canucks and the NHL are protecting themselves from liability and PR exposure.

The process protects fans from being hurt by other fans on private property.

Being private property, it is a free choice to not attend if you don't want to be subject to this type of screening.

It's not fascism.

When government and business intermingle to the point where one can't be distinguished from the other, this is fascism. Who is protecting who, exactly here?

The NHL is protecting themselves? Don't know why the government keeps being brought up in this thread when they are in no way involved. I'm a pretty big critic of government invading peoples' privacy in the name of (the appearance of) security, but that's a completely different discussion considering this is a private entity protecting private property. People like to link sports with bigger things (such as government/politics/religion etc.) and in some ways sports play a big role in our society but people also forget that these are private businesses, meaning it's not your constitutional right to attend a Canucks game, and in that way it's no different than your sandwich shop down the street which you can choose or choose not to patronize.

The NHL is protecting themselves? Don't know why the government keeps being brought up in this thread when they are in no way involved. I'm a pretty big critic of government invading peoples' privacy in the name of (the appearance of) security, but that's a completely different discussion considering this is a private entity protecting private property. People like to link sports with bigger things (such as government/politics/religion etc.) and in some ways sports play a big role in our society but people also forget that these are private businesses, meaning it's not your constitutional right to attend a Canucks game, and in that way it's no different than your sandwich shop down the street which you can choose or choose not to patronize.

I think you are missing my point entirely. What we have here, is business playing at government. Being the nanny we don't need. When was the last time anyone was shot or stabbed at an NHL game in the HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of gate fares paid since its inception. That's right, none.

The fact we are so used to these kinds of "security" measures just shows the road we are going down.

Preventing violence comes from education and social connectedness, not punishment or state induced security measures. Not many people have the insight to realize this proposition.

It only takes one crazy to ruin a whole lot of days. And by definition really, no amount of education is going to stop a crazy person.

They've been doing things like bag checks for a long time. Were you OK with those? In a lot of ways, they are far more intrusive on personal space than a metal detector.

Again, this is a private enterprise and not "state-induced". Don't like it, don't go.

Archived