The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Metal detectors being introduced this year... chaos?

DonaldBrashear

I simply used the Uzi scenerio as an example. Replace Uzi with bomb and then tell me where such a weapon of destruction would do the most damage. On the entrance ramp of the Rog or while sitting with several hundred people inside the building.

Yes where the most collateral damage can be accomplished, killing as many people as they can.

It appears you know little about the murderous ramifications of terrorism and of the various ways it is carried out. We have been fortunate here in Canada.

Maybe suggest to one of the victims families of the London subway bombing, the Twin Towers, the western tourists who were shot in Tunisia a few weeks ago, etc etc etc, that you believe the use of a metal dector to keep people safe is just another way to "condition the masses to accept a police state."

Shake your head man, that is one ridiculous statement.

If you are so concerned about civil rights then go live in Seria, Iraq, Afghanistan or Iran. You will quickly learn what the suppression of civil rights is like and what a police state is all about or how the brewing hate of all westerners is ever present. All one has to do is travel to Europe and witness armed soldiers in airports and on the street. Right now you and I are spoiled because Canada has yet to experience such a terrorist attack and I hope we never do.

Nope, I learned absolutely nothing serving in the US military and the career in which I work in now.... That's a pretty ignorant statement.

Again, if you want to be scanned, molested etc for the public safety reason lie then go right ahead.

What's next? Put metal detectors in Walmarts, Targets, Malls, Schools (they already have that here in the states, and yes it's the perfect time to condition kids to accept it as normal) Tim Hortons, McDonalds? At the entrance of your neighborhood? These will all deter the terrorists after all. Hell, maybe just make events that have the potential for mass casualty illegal so it's impossible for it to happen? That will save lives, right? :lol:

So would you suggest we have no security and everyone looks out for their own. If everyone has a gun on them we will all be safe right???

MURICA!

Maybe you never went to games in the 70s and 80s. For those who did, the only times I remember seeing security guys in the open at Lions' games was near the end, becausse some yahoos like running out onto the field. Now there's a literal army stationed throughout the stadium. At Canucks games I never saw (or noticed) them, unless something happened then they'd appear. But that's not how you train people to be accustomed to being under the thumb of authority. That's why you now see cops in black uniforms and body armour with belts full of weapons driving armoured military vehicles.

'Murica is already land of the fee and home of the slave. Canadians giggle and think they're "free" but here it's more like an iron fist in a velvet glove.

At some point you need to decide who will take responsibility for your life, liberty, and safety -- you or someone else. One way is remaining a child, leaving your maternal caretaker for the loving arms of the governanny. The other is growing up into a man..

In the 70-80s you didn't have people hijacking a plane full of women and children and crashing it into a building. There weren't people walking into collages, high schools and even elementary schools and opening fire on kids. There weren't people walking into the opening of batman and start shooting up the movie theater.

The Canucks aren't the government, they are only trying to protect themselves and their fans from an incident like that from ever happening.

David Staples of the Edmonton Journal is going on about how these metal detectors are stupid and are part of the "American Disease"

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/politics/no-need-to-treat-an-american-disease-that-we-dont-have

Also an article today in CBC

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-canucks-introduce-metal-detectors-for-games-1.3230820

OH and a video. Look at the happy people...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yTUD0Z-QAI

In the 70-80s you didn't have people hijacking a plane full of women and children and crashing it into a building. There weren't people walking into collages, high schools and even elementary schools and opening fire on kids. There weren't people walking into the opening of batman and start shooting up the movie theater.

The Canucks aren't the government, they are only trying to protect themselves and their fans from an incident like that from ever happening.

Because you saw it all on TV. They done scared you real good.

Because you saw it all on TV. They done scared you real good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsqPeqhKJ7Q

How is your tinfoil hat working for you? Better check under your bed tonight for the bugg.... I mean government. Its all a conspiracy man.

People like this make me laugh, they actually think they could handle protecting their family in situation but when it comes down to it they will be hiding in a corner crapping their pants.

Please do us all a favor and stay away from Rogers arena. Also Disneyland, because ether have metal doctors too.

One last thing, please never go to an airport, you are in for a nasty surprise

This has nothing to do with terrorists. Its just the Canucks trying to protect themselves and fans. Don't have a clue how people took this to government and terrorism.

Exactly. Personally, I always feel safer where there are CCTVs (almost everywhere in larger cities now), or entering a large venue like Rogers Arena knowing there is some level of screening. I don't feel it's an infringement on my right (quite the opposite - it enforces my right to be safe in those places). And it is their (the NHL and the Canucks) absolute right to do whatever they need to do to protect themselves from lawsuits or other problems caused by fans on their private property (absolutely nothing to do with the Government).

This has nothing to do with terrorists. Its just the Canucks trying to protect themselves and fans. Don't have a clue how people took this to government and terrorism.

They are trying to reduce threats of all kinds.

I zeroed in on terror threats because of the global move towards radicalization and the call for individuals acting alone. There is also a lot of gang violence in Greater Vancouver and it would be terrible if that spilled into Rogers Arena and innocent fans were hurt or killed. Those are obviously extreme examples, but there is nothing wrong with planning for worst case scenarios. It doesn't mean we are expecting them to occur.

I zeroed in on terror threats because of the global move towards radicalization and the call for individuals acting alone. There is also a lot of gang violence in Greater Vancouver and it would be terrible if that spilled into Rogers Arena and innocent fans were hurt or killed. Those are obviously extreme examples, but there is nothing wrong with planning for worst case scenarios. It doesn't mean we are expecting them to occur.

I think I said it a few pages back: as unlikely as any of this is to actually occur, if, unfortunately it did, the cry of "why didn't they do anything to prevent it?" would be loud. People can;t have it both ways. In the end, this is such a small thing for people to worry about (being scanned that is).

Exactly. Personally, I always feel safer where there are CCTVs (almost everywhere in larger cities now), or entering a large venue like Rogers Arena knowing there is some level of screening. I don't feel it's an infringement on my right (quite the opposite - it enforces my right to be safe in those places). And it is their (the NHL and the Canucks) absolute right to do whatever they need to do to protect themselves from lawsuits or other problems caused by fans on their private property (absolutely nothing to do with the Government).

Exactly people have the right to fell safe. I have no problem walking through a metal detector because I have nothing to hide. People's rights to personal safety seem to get ignored here

I agree, the Canucks are trying to protect themselves and fans from harm. They are responsible for your safety during events

I went to 6 games at Rogers Arena last season, but after implementing these new security measures I will not attend anymore Canucks games. I feel it is completely unnecessary and quite insulting. We pride ourselves on being nothing like the USA and we are slowly tilting towards a police state. This is a gradual tactic to ease the transition into such state and make us more comfortable with more security and checkpoints and searches that violate our constitutional rights and freedoms. I never had an interest in posting here but created this account specifically for this post. I can't stress enough how really disappointed I am with the NHL and Vancouver Canucks. FINALLY!! THE ANSWER TO ALL THOSE BOMBINGS, STABBINGS AND MASSIVE GUN VIOLENCE THAT HAS PLAGUED OUR HOCKEY GAMES FOR SO LONG. You just lost a loyal paying customer. Is that what you wanted??

I went to 6 games at Rogers Arena last season, but after implementing these new security measures I will not attend anymore Canucks games. I feel it is completely unnecessary and quite insulting. We pride ourselves on being nothing like the USA and we are slowly tilting towards a police state. This is a gradual tactic to ease the transition into such state and make us more comfortable with more security and checkpoints and searches that violate our constitutional rights and freedoms. I never had an interest in posting here but created this account specifically for this post. I can't stress enough how really disappointed I am with the NHL and Vancouver Canucks. FINALLY!! THE ANSWER TO ALL THOSE BOMBINGS, STABBINGS AND MASSIVE GUN VIOLENCE THAT HAS PLAGUED OUR HOCKEY GAMES FOR SO LONG. You just lost a loyal paying customer. Is that what you wanted??

Archived