The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What if...

therodigy

This is my first topic posting so please be gentle.

I've always been interested in thinking of the "what ifs" in regards to our upcoming line up. Right now I think it's safe to assume that Baertschi is slotted in a top 6 role, Sutter is signed for top 6 money, and the 4C slot is Vey's to lose. I'm optimIstic that everything will work out, pending injuries and such, but would love to hear your input on alternative line ups should the above players are not ready for their perspective roles. I'd hate to see Higgins play top 6 minutes again but would he be an effective temporary 2nd line plug until the deadline, our even the end of the year, presuming he's line mates with Sutter and Borrows/Vrbata? Is Horvat ready to take on 2nd line if Sutter doesn't work out in that role? Is the recent signing of Cracknell, or Prust a good depth option for 4C or are the odds of bringing in Goc or Lappy from Europe a realistic option to hold together the fourth line? I didn't include Cassels in the mix as I feel he could benefit more from Ahl grooming, but in all fairness could he suit a 4C role if he has Prust and Dorsett on his wings?

Thanks all

if baerschi can handle top six time then that gives some more scoring on the second line, but willie doesn't rush guys into those positions...willie likes to have each line, defensively responsible ...that is why he had higgins on the 2nd line....right now, they have burrows, higgins, sutter, horvat, hansen, dorsett and prust who are defensively responsible....i hate to say this but, they could make

more balanced lines, by splitting up the sedins...maybe, they could re-invent themselves...play them together on power plays...

i see prust and dorsett on different lines....spread the toughness around...i doubt, they rush young guys into the line up..i think, that next year, 3 more young guys could crack the line up...i could see, next year, vrbata, higgins, hansen and maybe even burrows being moved...virtanen could push vrbata out; grenier....hansen; kenins...higgins.......i could see, boeser, eventually become the first line right wing...if the sedins are split, it would be easier to move others into top six positions.

Next time you have a random thought, post it in an existing thread.

If every body posted a thread every time they had a random thought, this place would get (more) flooded (than it already is).

I believe lines will be shuffled throughout the year and trades will be made. Nothing is in stone.

Next time you have a random thought, post it in an existing thread.

If every body posted a thread every time they had a random thought, this place would get (more) flooded (than it already is).

I believe lines will be shuffled throughout the year and trades will be made. Nothing is in stone.

elvis15 Version 2.0

If you are going to make guys post in an existing thread each time, I would suggest that the last post appears first instead of the 1st post appearing first. Some of the threads are umpteen zillion pages long and by the end have usually gone off topic. Either that or you put a time limit on a post of say 30 days before it disappears. I am interested in current material, not material talking about a lineup of a player who is no longer with the team and I just don't have time sifting through redundant material.

Luongo - Hamhuis - Bieksa

Benning/Bourdon - Sbisa- Weber

Vey- Tanev - Kassian

Bure - frackhead - Smyl

Maki

Sundin - Burrows

Rypien - Linden

Vrbata - Stanton

Naslund

Higgins

Fixed that for ya.....there is no #11 frackhead for me.....it's Wayne Maki, nobody else worth remembering

Oddleifson was 11, but he's really remembered as 14 when he switched in '75 when the number was retired (unofficially)

Sorry guys. The "what if" is ambiguous and misleading, and it's causing the thread to become redundant. Apologies for not being clear.

I'm interested in seeing if there are alternatives amongst lavailable in FA or players within the minor club that would be suitable compromises Should Baertschi, Sutter, or Vey, amongst others, May not be ready for what we think are their prospective roles. If it's premature to ask at this point, so be it. I'm a fan from Toronto and haven't had the opportunity to follow along as thoroughly as I'd like to and have only read about predicted lineups and dream scenarios, but not so much about the possibility of certain players not working out. Ie I was excited about acquiring Vey initially as he was pegged as a 3C with PP capabilities, but he turned out to only have a mediocre rookie season. I'm curious to see what alternatives we have available to us should Baertschi or Sutter not live up to their expectations. That's what I meant by WHAT IF.

I hope it clears things up, and I'll adjust the title accordingly. With that said, if it's premature or redundant, I'll dig through the other threads again and try to seek discussion there. I'm a huge Canucks fan that's just trying to seek perspectives from other like minded fans.

This is about as good a lineup as:

1-2-3

4-5-6

7-8-9

10-11-12

13-14

15-16

17-18

Mclean - Ohlund - Lidster

Diduck - Butcher- Aucoin/Salo

Ronning- Adams - TANTI

Bure - Moose/Maki - Smyl