The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What rules would you change?

Rubik

139 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Increase rink size to international size. The players are too big and fast to play on the smaller ice surfaces and the on ice product suffers. It is easier to slow down the game because there is less room to make plays. It also makes the game much safer as there is more time to react to hits.

This is something that I've been waiting on for years but I don't think the GM's care enough. All they'd see is lost revenue from seats being removed and the cost of renovations. This would make the game instantly more exciting, safer, and result in more offensive plays.

Also, 10 minute OT. 4v4 OT for 5 minutes (or whenever the whistle blows after 5 minutes) and then 3v3 for the remaining minutes. If it is still a tie after that, so be it. That would be more satisfying than the shootout.

The trapezoid needs to go, but white jerseys look really tame compared to the darker ones. I really prefer the darker home scheme than the white one.

Make goalie play puck right away; if he intentionally blocks an opposing player call him for interference.

Make players release opponants after checks within 1-2 second instead of allowing certain teams to hold for ridiculously long periods of time.

If a team doesn't even try to play the puck on dumpouts, then waive off icing.

The main thing I would like to see is every team being held to the same standards. Keep officiating the same for every team in every series up to and including the Finals. I doubt that will ever happen!!

Another 2 cents on the 2 referee system.

There are literally two different games happening on either side of the ice at the same time.

What doesn't get called at one end of the ice can quickly be called a penalty on the other end.

This happened in the Canucks Jets rookie preseason game.

It's schizophrenic and must be crazy to prepare for as a coach and team. One ref can put the whistle in his pocket while the other may not? This creates inconsistency.

Evolving the game doesn't mean and shouldn't mean dumbing down the game. Hockey isn't like baseball and basketball where scoring is constant and it comes in multiple ways. One single play can quickly end the game. Soccer has ties and in that sport, if a team blows a lead, the difference between getting 3 points for a win and just the 1 point for a draw(tie) is enormous. Other sports don't use individual competition to end a game. The game ends with all required players on the playing surface.

On the contrary, soccer only uses penalty kicks in their post-seasons to avoid games continuing into the following day.

A tie also separates the great teams from the good teams, good teams from the mediocre teams and mediocre teams from the doormats. If a mediocre team, say, won half of their games in a shootout out of 40+ wins, it would create bush league window dressing to what kind of team they really are. The standings are supposed to be the true measuring stick of how teams stack up against each other.

Yes, Bettman doesn't make all the NHL decisions but he has come up with very debatable ideas and the shootout is one of them.

Football used to have ties, changed it, and don't award a loser point. There's nothing wrong with improving the game with rule changes. You like ties, I hate them. Even a shootout is better than a tie. Nothing new about us being polar opposites. Don't you think the standings would be a true measuring stick if all games were worth 3 points instead of just overtime/shootout games?

You'd have to prove it was actually Bettman that came up with the idea before laying the blame on him. In the end it's ultimately the owners that decide on changes, regardless of where the idea came from, and the blame lies with them.

Increase rink size to international size.

I've never understood why they haven't gotten out the arena stretcher and made them bigger years ago. :lol:

The odds of them taking out a row or two of ice level seats and losing that revenue is somewhere between minuscule and nada.

I've never understood why they haven't gotten out the arena stretcher and made them bigger years ago. :lol:

The odds of them taking out a row or two of ice level seats and losing that revenue is somewhere between minuscule and nada.

It would be cool though. Bigger ice would make for a more entertaining game in my opinion

Honestly, I'd bring back wooden sticks.

I hate the composite sticks, they break way too easily which often nullifies great scoring chances, they allow every plug to think that they can shoot so they shoot from everywhere instead of being more creative and they are way too expensive.

Every kid wants the same stick as Crosby or Toews but not every Dad can afford several $200 sticks per year.

All in all, there needs to be way more scrutiny on any equipment changes.

I thought it was more around the cost of the structural changes (i.e taking out a couple of rows of cement stairs etc.) more than the lost revenue. Probably depends a lot on the arena though.

Baggins, on 16 Sept 2015 - 12:07 PM, said:

It would be cool though. Bigger ice would make for a more entertaining game in my opinion

This cuts across the kind of hockey Benning is creating in Vancouver, he is brining in character players who can throw the body around. With the current direction of the Canucks we are better off with a smaller ice surface.

Central FO dot, in each team's zone. Allow ONE icing per penalty kill, then subsequent icings get dropped on the central dot. Also use it for icings last minute of each period.

Allow offensive team to get creative in that FO formation; while enforcing defending team into a set position.

This would make final minute FO's even more intense & important. More late comebacks.

Archived