The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rogers arena is too quiet during canucks game

WalkWithElias

Yeah the crowd is quiet, but think about who goes to games. People with money, and are people with money usually loud and boisterous? No, usually it's the poor rowdy folks who are loud and boisterous. The people you want to see and hear on tv are not the people you want to live next door to.

Let's just get used to it, because crying won't change anything, it's just the way we are around here. We are cerebral, we aren't loud american drunken idiots (for the most part), we just want to pay close attention because we payed thru the nose to get tickets.

I'm tired of complaints about our quiet crowd, get over it.

Yeah the crowd is quiet, but think about who goes to games. People with money, and are people with money usually loud and boisterous? No, usually it's the poor rowdy folks who are loud and boisterous. The people you want to see and hear on tv are not the people you want to live next door to.

Let's just get used to it, because crying won't change anything, it's just the way we are around here. We are cerebral, we aren't loud american drunken idiots (for the most part), we just want to pay close attention because we payed thru the nose to get tickets.

Cerebral? ..sounds like you ben drinkin.

The people you want to see and hear on tv are not the people you want to live next door to.

Cheering fans doesn't necessarily equate to drunk idiots or bad neighbours.

Wealth does not mean better manners than others.

Americans are individuals and the ones I know aren't loud nor do they drink.

No one's crying..we're discussing, which is the entire point of this place.

Not an earth shattering topic by any means, but some of us cheer without alcohol or being bad people and we are not Americans.

So to this I'd say quit stereotyping and generalizing and allow others to share their opinions without it being deemed "crying". If you go to games it can actually be awkwardly and uncomfortably quiet at times...it's like being in a library rather than an arena.

I believe smart phones are helping to dumb us down as a whole as we no longer are engaged, involved or focused. That many are scrolling their lives away, taking selfies and forgetting to live in the moment. I notice it a lot, in many situations. Sad that the ability to communicate is being lost but many are only partially paying attention to what's going on around them.

That and the fact that people who are given and gifted tickets often aren't as invested...some have an attitude of entitlement and if we're not stealing the show out there, then they spend more time being critical of the team. (I've sat beside some). The average Joe who lives and breathes hockey/the team isn't always able to be at the games.

I don't think smartphones are the problem, if they were teams across the league would have quiet buildings. Its not just people from Vancouver bringing their phones to games.

Ticket prices are not the problem either or Montreal would be a dead silent building.

I find most people just want to keep to themselves. I'm that way, I don't go to a game to meet new people. I want to watch it and enjoy the game not spend the whole time making noise.

Cheering fans doesn't necessarily equate to drunk idiots or bad neighbours.

Wealth does not mean better manners than others.

Americans are individuals and the ones I know aren't loud nor do they drink.

No one's crying..we're discussing, which is the entire point of this place.

Not an earth shattering topic by any means, but some of us cheer without alcohol or being bad people and we are not Americans.

So to this I'd say quit stereotyping and generalizing and allow others to share their opinions without it being deemed "crying". If you go to games it can actually be awkwardly and uncomfortably quiet at times...it's like being in a library rather than an arena.

I believe smart phones are helping to dumb us down as a whole as we no longer are engaged, involved or focused. That many are scrolling their lives away, taking selfies and forgetting to live in the moment. I notice it a lot, in many situations. Sad that the ability to communicate is being lost but many are only partially paying attention to what's going on around them.

That and the fact that people who are given and gifted tickets often aren't as invested...some have an attitude of entitlement and if we're not stealing the show out there, then they spend more time being critical of the team. (I've sat beside some). The average Joe who lives and breathes hockey/the team isn't always able to be at the games.

Off topic a bit but i almost got hit buy a person texting on the phone when i was in the middle of a very visible crosswalk 30 minutes ago. Never even saw me as they blew though the crosswalk as i dove the other way cursing at them.

I'm at the arena 90% of the games a year, and i find that we need to be louder , i would start up a go canucks go chant and it would die down in 15 seconds , i sat lower bowl for 1 game chanting that , and i had some person thinking i was crazy , we have to make this the toughest building to play in again , the players feed of us too, so the louder it is , the more pumped they will be

Of all the Canadian rinks, Vancouver has the worst people at their games. I wouldn't say Vancouver has bad fans. It's all the corporate seats and people attending the game who have never watched hockey, don't care about hockey and pay more attention to their smart phones than the game that make Rogers arena the quietest arena in Canada. When I go to games I make noise! Half the time I get looks from everyone wondering why cheer? We let fans of opposing teams get away with zero heckling, Chant the goalies name when he's playing lights out and can only seem to get the whole crowd into the Mexican wave. The Canucks need to hold a Canucks fan training camp. Lets get everyone on the right page!

Off with your head bougie!

I was actually told to pipe down/not use my mini cowbell one game by the CBC folks. Meanwhile, the woman who told me not to use it stood behind me gabbing about unrelated, non hockey stuff to another CBC staffer beside her. Non stop, so I let her know "no double standards". She vacated and I let the cowbell ring.

It's a hockey arena...the day we can't make noise is the day we need to replace pucks with feathers and goal horns with soft, seaside sounds. Then we can all sleep peacefully at the game.

With that, I'm always mindful of those around me and let them know "if I'm bothering you, I'll stop". No one has ever done so and most tend to join in and get involved with me. I've been known to hand the cowbell to kids so they can participate after goals....they love it. I also only use it in a timely fashion (after goals, big saves, fights, etc.).

Cowbell is a little too "Calgary" don't you think?

Too be fair, there are lots of people who seems to be unable to differentiate between cheering and just being vulgar.

I don't see how someone going, "Oh!!! What the F*** ref!!! He was obviously tripped by that F****** son-of-a-b****!!!! You dumb F****** dumba**!!!!!" can be considered as cheering.... especially when you see just a few seats over there's someone with their little kids.

Perhaps it's just a few bad apples, but it seems every time I go to the Canucks games, there are lots of those people around.

I'm not adverse to loud cheering either. I got season tickets to the Whitecaps games at the supporter sections. I've attended Japanese baseball games (which btw is like 100x the atmosphere of even playoff Canucks games). But only in Canucks games do I experience an overwhelming amount of "less than civilized" language and attitude.

Cowbell is a little too "Calgary" don't you think?

Haha, yep. Redneck, trailer trash Deb. I'm ok with that though. I'm keeping it real.

Bottom line is I don't get out too much and when I take in a game, I'm serious about the hockey end of it but I also make it about fun and having a good time. I spend good money to go and the overall experience is important to me. Of course, the main thing is seeing a good product on the ice but I also understand that people have off nights/periods and so I'd rather rally behind them than throw in the towel. And I don't get the boo'ers. THAT seems pointless and counter productive to me.

Everyone is different and will expect a different experience by way of that. We don't all react the same way. But, overall, it IS a hockey arena and anyone expecting silence or "proper" behaviour is likely missing the mark more than those who get involved.

(yeeeha)

Of all the Canadian rinks, Vancouver has the worst people at their games. I wouldn't say Vancouver has bad fans. It's all the corporate seats and people attending the game who have never watched hockey, don't care about hockey and pay more attention to their smart phones than the game that make Rogers arena the quietest arena in Canada. When I go to games I make noise! Half the time I get looks from everyone wondering why cheer? We let fans of opposing teams get away with zero heckling, Chant the goalies name when he's playing lights out and can only seem to get the whole crowd into the Mexican wave. The Canucks need to hold a Canucks fan training camp. Lets get everyone on the right page!

Is it really the quietest rink in Canada though? I haven't been to games outside of Vancouver for quite a while so couldn't say. If you are going by TV, it isn't fair as every rink has different acoustics and sound options (lower ceiling = louder for example). The sound mixers always dampen the amount of crowd noise too, and I suspect it isn't the same in every rink. I find it hard to believe that Vancouver has that many more "corporate seats" than Toronto or Montreal.

I have always found the quality of the game and the opponent makes a huge difference too, so when making comparisons, it's important to take that into account.

There is a stereotype of Vancouver fans that goes back some time that people in Vancouver do not get as engaged or passionate about sports teams as there is so much to do in the city. In winter, going to a Canucks game is one of many entertainment options (lots of theatre, skiing, SCUBA diving, hiking, etc. etc.). The idea is that in a city like Winnipeg, hockey is a bigger deal as there isn't as much competing interests. Fair or not, I know this has been bounced around for years and years.

I agree with Deb that smart phones lead to disengagement in general, but that would be a constant across all venues I would think.

Cause there is too many suits looking at their phones who dont really care about the game, its just something to do.

Plus the lower bowl is out most peoples $$$ range(considering in the last couple of years u could go to some road games for cheaper)

The upper bowl i find is where most of the noise comes from

Its sad when the loudest it gets sometimes is when mark donnelly does O Canada

Cause there is too many suits looking at their phones who dont really care about the game, its just something to do.

Plus the lower bowl is out most peoples $$$ range(considering in the last couple of years u could go to some road games for cheaper)

I love how in these discussions people in suits are always portrayed as the enemy of real fans!

The price isn't the problem. Look at places like Chicago, Montreal, even Toronto. Their prices are on par if not more than Vancouver and they still have loud fans.

Just an easy group for people to attack on the forums because of their appearance.

Funny thing is, if you watch on the weekends, there really aren't even that many people in suits. I think on weekdays people come straight from work so there are a few more. I guess if your office has a more formal dress code, you can't be a real fan.

"The suits" are more in reference to corporate attendees who fall into tickets by way of work connections and networking. Not by actually purchasing them. So they go as a warm up before their night out, etc.

And often those people simply go because they can, not because they're totally invested. One of the last games I was at one: arrived late, stood to remove his leather jacket and straighten his cuffs during game play then complained when others stood for a goal, spent more time looking at his phone and complaining to his female companion, sneered at me for my cowbell (didn't care, because he was rude and obnoxious)...people around me spurred me on to use it more. Was also up/down from his seat throughout. He was grating on everyone's nerves annnnd, left before the game ended (that went to OT). It was painful.

I'm at the arena 90% of the games a year, and i find that we need to be louder , i would start up a go canucks go chant and it would die down in 15 seconds , i sat lower bowl for 1 game chanting that , and i had some person thinking i was crazy , we have to make this the toughest building to play in again , the players feed of us too, so the louder it is , the more pumped they will be

THANK YOU!

That is really all I can say, honestly. Thank you for speaking the truth.

Rogers Arena is a microcosmic reflection of the city's mentality, and how we are: extremely laid back. Which is why, in a lot of ways, so many people love this city, and flock here like geese, on top of it's obvious, natural beauty. HOWEVER... though may be a bit controversial for some, but it's my honest opinion, and I live by it fully. I really think the underlying "darkness" to this city is the snobiness, and narcissistic traits of many here; whether it's the money, or whatever, it's a very common thing, and the money it takes to get into RA for a game is quite the cost. I really believe if the tickets were in the economy price for the "middle-lower" classes could afford, there would be a way better spirit and alacrity at the games tenfold! I bet you my ass this is a hugely contributing factor to the aliveness and passion of the team as well. We really got to put ourselves in the team's perspective here; what would it feel like, night in, and night out having to play in front of a very dull, and soundless crowd. There is no energy to build off of. Though, despite all of what I have said, it certainly does not apply to every game that has been held in Rogers Arena, and never will be, but for the majority, I think we can all agree. Certainly, many of our playoff runs, and not to mention the Stanley Cup Finals, were nothing but a blaze of fiery passion and cheering from the fans, and hopefully will rise even higher, and higher in the PURITY OF SPIRIT!

Anyways, looking for a bright and as positive as can be, season for these Canucks, and us the viewers! NOW, get out there and CHEER!!!

WITH ALL MY LOVE....GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!

I also think because we haven't won the cup yet that most fans have become apathetic. It's much easier to be critical and disengaged when your team has broken your heart time and time again! Winnipeg is just happy to have hockey back. Vancouver people have a lot of stress in their lives to deal with. House, food and gas prices are making it nearly impossible to live in this city. I think that it's a combination of many factors. The most is that Deb is not the majority demographic at the Canuck games these days! :rolleyes:

Archived