The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Most Intriguing Names to Watch on Canucks Young Stars Roster

Seeker1

If only Shinkosann were actually 6'2". NM he wouldn't have fallen to us at the draft in that case. He still has great potential especially considering that his NHL line mate would be one of Sutter Horvat both of which would make great partners for him. Though in the AHL I would like to see Shink pared with Cassels so they can both feed off of each others relentless puck pursuit and tenacity that they will need to build on If either of them is to make the NHL at all.

If only Shinkosann were actually 6'2". NM he wouldn't have fallen to us at the draft in that case. He still has great potential especially considering that his NHL line mate would be one of Sutter Horvat both of which would make great partners for him. Though in the AHL I would like to see Shink pared with Cassels so they can both feed off of each others relentless puck pursuit and tenacity that they will need to build on If either of them is to make the NHL at all.

you can say that again...

you can say that again...

Lol garbage article. I like that they're giving some of these guys credit, but not one single write up really goes beyond size and stats, and simply saying that they want to make the NHL at some point.

Anyways, I'll try to hi-jack this thread and say the province has been writing up short bios of prospects heading into the tournie. Today it was Ben Hutton's turn, link here: http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/09/04/canucks-young-stars-who-are-these-guys-ben-hutton/

Earlier this week, Gaunce was covered: http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/09/01/canucks-young-stars-who-are-these-guys-brendan-gaunce/

A lot of focus will be around guys like McCann, Shinkaruk and Virtanen, but there is so much talent beyond just them. I'm looking forward to the tournament, and I hope Virtanen telling McDavid to keep his head up is more friendly competition than headhunting.

Thanks for the links.

If you find the Virtanen interview from about a week ago, he also says that he and McD are friends from when they played for Team Canada. He's kidding of course......maybe...... ;)

Poor article with typical hockey writers errors. I am curious however if Abols is able to be signed. The rules on European players is confusing at best. My understanding of it after reading the CBA is that (i) If a player is drafted to the CHL before said player is drafted to the NHL said player shall not be permitted to play in any affiliated minor professional league (ii) If a player is drafted into the NHL prior to being drafted by the CHL said player shall be allowed to play in affiliated minor professional leagues or in the NHL provided said player agrees to terms of a conract with such NHL organization. However there doesn't seem to be much stipulation on signing said European players;furthermore there appears to be no rules on the age restriction of a player to be able to sign with a NHL club.

Also any player in any league may opt out of being draft eligible should the want to sign with any club they please.

There doesn't appear to be any rules on if said European player revokes there free agent eligibility or draft eligibility by either staying in europe or playing in the CHL. Aboles as an example is turning 20 on January 5 2016 the date cut off for draft eligibility for a player is they must be under the age of 20 before December 31st of the upcoming draft year; which in turn should mean that Aboles would be over the age of 20 by that date, meaning he should be eligible to be signed as a free agent right now. Am I correct? wrong? missing something?

On mobile (and it's late) so sorry not to post quotes but I believe the CBA Article 8.4 and 8.9 (if I'm remembering the sections correctly) addresses the Abols situation and why he can't be signed until after the 2016 entry draft. I'll try to check tomorrow (and add an edit).

Archived