[Proposal] Acquiring Kyle Okposo

To NYI:

Brendan Gaunce

2nd round pick 2016

Chris Higgins

To Vancouver:

Kyle Okposo

Why?

Okposo has been on the trading block for a bit, with his FA status pending. Around the draft, there were rumours they would move Okposo for a pick(s).

"There's a lot of different scenarios that could play out," Snow said. "There could be a trade where we acquire a first or a second. We prepare the same way for this draft that we have in past drafts, because you just don't know what's going to happen."

- NHL.com

Some contribute Okposo's stats to playing on Tavares' line, but the year before Tavares was around, Okposo put up 40 points in 65 games as a 22 year-old. The big winger has always been highly touted.

Not a bruising powerforward, but at 6'0 and 217 pounds, the right-handed goal scorer is great on the cycle and strong on the puck. Puts lots of shots on net. Could be the perfect complimentary player for the Sedins, especially 5-on-5 where their cycle is key.

At 2.8M, he can fit under the Canucks' cap this year. The NYI keep Higgins who has 2 years left on his contract. As a team that struggles attracting UFAs without overpaying them, having a 35-40 point winger locked up is advantageous. Plus, they get a mid-2nd round pick, which is what Snow was looking for at the draft and a former 1st rounder who is showing good 2-way ability and is poised to be a NHLer, but not a top-liner.

The Canucks have a logjam on both wings, but the left wing is especially bad with Sedin, Burrows, Higgins, Prust, Baertschi, Kenins, Gaunce, and Jensen all fighting for a spot, plus Shinkaruk in the minors as depth.

With Vrbata likely on the way out at some point this year, Okposo leaves the Canucks some top-6 depth if they are truly gunning for a playoff spot, as Benning, Linden and Burrows have suggested.

If the Canucks and Okposo are not a fit at the end of the year, he can walk and the Canucks will have that 2.8M in cap space a year earlier than they would have with Higgins, or he can be moved at the deadline for assets after putting together juicy goal stats while playing with the Sedins.

The Canucks will have the cap space to re-sign him with the cap going up, and Vrbata's contract coming up.

Last update on the situation came in late August:

Despite recent reports suggesting that the New York Islanders and forward Kyle Okposo have begun discussions aimed at hammering out a new longterm contract extension for the talented, gritty forward, it seems that is not, in fact, the case. Arthur Staple of Newsday is reporting that there is "no truth" to rumors of extension talks between the two sides and that it's actually been "quiet for most of the summer" where Okposo's contract is concerned.

Sedin - Sedin - Okposo

Baertschi - Horvat - Vrbata

Burrows - Sutter - Hansen

Prust - Vey - Dorsett

Kenins, Jensen

A pretty solid forward group going into next season.

I think maybe the pick puts this a little on the Isles side. Gaunce and Higgins could probably do it.

Okposo is a prooven 1/2 liner i think we'd definitely still need to add the 2nd rounder at least. I really like this line up though. We'd do quite well this year if we iced that team.

Always wanted Okposo on the Canucks and thought he'd be a fabulous player alongside the Sedins. Great stick handler, unbeatable along the boards and plays a puck possesion game like the twins. He's not afraid to crash the net and can play with some grit, but does tend to be a little injury prone.

He will be looking for $ and term when he becomes a UFA next year, just like most first time UFAs.

That third line of Burr, Sutter, Hansen would be one of the best shutdown lines in the league.

I think maybe the pick puts this a little on the Isles side. Gaunce and Higgins could probably do it.

Okposo is a prooven 1/2 liner i think we'd definitely still need to add the 2nd rounder at least. I really like this line up though. We'd do quite well this year if we iced that team.

I agree with the 2nd post, I think there would be a fair amount of teams interested because his cap can fit somewhat easily, and also think Snow is wanting a draft pick, judging by his comments earlier (although the draft has since passed). A 27-year old, 50-60 point winger isn't going to come too cheap.

Always wanted Okposo on the Canucks and thought he'd be a fabulous player alongside the Sedins. Great stick handler, unbeatable along the boards and plays a puck possesion game like the twins. He's not afraid to crash the net and can play with some grit, but does tend to be a little injury prone.

He will be looking for $ and term when he becomes a UFA next year, just like most first time UFAs.

That third line of Burr, Sutter, Hansen would be one of the best shutdown lines in the league.

Yep, basically all my thoughts. Great shutdown line, as well as pretty good offensively ability if needed, I mean Sutter has already shown he can be a 20g/40p guy, Burrows has been looking like a 30-40 point guy without the Sedins and Hansen is usually as good as his linemates, but put up 33 points on Desjardins 3rd line last year.

If Okposo can put up 55+ points next year without being a defensive liability, then I wouldn't mind the Canucks dolling out a bit of cash for him, and considering the current plan is to have Higgins for another year, that's 2.5M in cap space the Canucks would not have had to sign him. Okposo on a 5 year/5.25M deal would be fine with me if next season goes well for him.

that's what you want to give but what would the islanders want...what if they ask for horvat, tanev and a 1st...are you making that trade..?

Woah lol i dont think anyone would...

Okposo can bring a better return from a different team, if we could guarantee resigning him i wouldn't mind doing a deal along these lines

To van

Okposo

4th

To isles

Shinkaruk

Higgins

3rd

We give them a prospect with a higher ceiling, and maintain a pick for this deep draft.

Woah lol i dont think anyone would...

Okposo can bring a better return from a different team, if we could guarantee resigning him i wouldn't mind doing a deal along these lines

To van

Okposo

4th

To isles

Shinkaruk

Higgins

3rd

We give them a prospect with a higher ceiling, and maintain a pick for this deep draft.

but what will they want?

Personally I would do it then if we have a bad season flip Okposo at the deadline for a 1st and a prospect.

The Idea of us picking in the top 10, then potentially adding a 1st and some sort of prospect for each of Okposo, Vrbata and Hamhuis or at least getting 2 firsts and and 2 2nds and 2 prospects out of the deals is appealing to me.

Awful, just awful.

My three favourite teams are the Isles, Canucks, and the Jets. If you think that 28 other teams can't come up with a more enticing offer than Gaunce and Higgins, you're out of your mind. Plus, that doesn't even come close to Okposo's value.

For example, the Jets could afford to throw Nic Petan, Andrew Copp, and Jan Kostalek for Okposo, and they wouldn't even lose sleep about giving up that much (overpayment), because they have so much talented youth in the pipeline.

Gaunce and Higgins is a joke.

The reason he is on the block is that he wants too much money on a long term deal. He is looking for 6 mill plus, a little high considering his injury history and the fact he is not overly physical. I would rather put that money towards Looch, who is built tough and gives us a nasty attitude for playoff time.

Just reading the OP wet my appetite.

6 foot plus, 217 lbs, strong on the cycle, right handed shot, goal scorer...

Frack we have been waiting for that for 15 years! So we kinda have it, finally, with Vrbta. Minus the size and the boards presence. I reckon we just got to pay the market price and grab him. Yes that's prob $5 or $6 mill. But maybe trending to the lower side of that cuz he's not a 60 or 70 point guy.

My opinion is UFA in summer though. Why give up good assets?

Its easier to fit him in the line up than Lucic who is a left wing.

Archived