The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Suing phone companies (BELL) in small claims

sam13371337

Hello CDC Lawyers...

I have recently gotten into a massive dispute with bell regarding a cellphone I unfortunately purchased...

IT was nothing but problems and a nightmare since day one. all my contacts, voicemails and most of my texts were permanently deleted (Even though the bell retailer assured me 150X times this would not happen)

A combination of this, and absolutely grotesque levels of service had me wanting to cancel my bell contract. (I even overheard a bell agent snickering and laughing at me over the line after I had called for a 3rd time requesting to speak to a manager)

in all my years of owning a cellphone, I have never talked to so many agents then I did in a couple of days with bell.. it has been a nightmare.

in my contract there is a buyers remorse clause. That's in effect for something like 100 minutes~ 100 mgs

I spoke to 2 bell agents about it and they told me I was under the limit but nearing it and I could cancel now if I want (even though most of the minutes I used were trying to get bell agents to fix my phone) even going out of my way and using someone elses phone to call bell to save my minutes in this time frame...

After getting the assurance that this was possible, I decided to call bell one last time for my peace of mind, and have their agent put in writing on my file that this is going to happen. That agent did exactly that and told me that it is absolutely confirmed and on my file in writing..

So I went crawling back to my old company, they even offered to beat the deal bell gave me when I told them of my nightmare.

upon going to the store to return the phone (which is what the bell agent told me to do) The clerk called "bell corporate" and then informed me that I have gone over the 100 minute allowance and I can no longer return the phone. I can only assume that last phone call to get the cancellation in writing might pushed it a couple minutes over 100 before I shut that phone off immediately for the last time...

Upon talking to 2 different bell "supervisors" who had terrible attiudes. I was repeatedly told by them that this decision is final and there is no one higher up to speak to.

I told the supervisor "so you must be bells CEO" and he said no im not but bells CEO doesn't take customer calls. I told absolutely not, But there are thousands of managers below him who can and will help me.

after enormous effort, he finally agreed to forward me to a regional manager on Tuesday (after the long weekend)

I will be speaking with the bell regional manager, and if he doesn't resolve this, I will be filing a small claims court case against bell, and have a judge decide on it..

im just wondering if there is anybody who has had any similar experiences, or been thru something similar, or sued a major company before...

im not the type of person to go to court, or even return anything. but bells level of service was so grotesque, and they personally insulted me to such a degree, that I feel I don't have any other choice....

im open to any tips or advice anyone has for me, and if this is in the wrong section and belongs in white noise, I apologize and kindly ask a mod to move it over.

thanks.

Contact the CCTS here:

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/complaints.

This organization helped me get out of a contract with a competing company that wouldn't listen. Stop using the phone immediately. I had Bell before and had nothing but issues with them, fortunately I was only on month-to-month so I just cancelled. My experience is that cell companies don't start cleaning up their act unless forced to by an outside 3rd party.

goodluck taking a corporation to court. $$$$ it will cost lots of that, so be up the challenge, otherwise move on.

They'd drag it out until you were bankrupt, which would probably only take a few months. Good luck. It's not like they have a qualified team of lawyers or anything.

SMALL CLAIMS

Hello CDC Lawyers...

I have recently gotten into a massive dispute with bell regarding a cellphone I unfortunately purchased...

IT was nothing but problems and a nightmare since day one. all my contacts, voicemails and most of my texts were permanently deleted (Even though the bell retailer assured me 150X times this would not happen)

A combination of this, and absolutely grotesque levels of service had me wanting to cancel my bell contract. (I even overheard a bell agent snickering and laughing at me over the line after I had called for a 3rd time requesting to speak to a manager)

in all my years of owning a cellphone, I have never talked to so many agents then I did in a couple of days with bell.. it has been a nightmare.

in my contract there is a buyers remorse clause. That's in effect for something like 100 minutes~ 100 mgs

I spoke to 2 bell agents about it and they told me I was under the limit but nearing it and I could cancel now if I want (even though most of the minutes I used were trying to get bell agents to fix my phone) even going out of my way and using someone elses phone to call bell to save my minutes in this time frame...

After getting the assurance that this was possible, I decided to call bell one last time for my peace of mind, and have their agent put in writing on my file that this is going to happen. That agent did exactly that and told me that it is absolutely confirmed and on my file in writing..

So I went crawling back to my old company, they even offered to beat the deal bell gave me when I told them of my nightmare.

upon going to the store to return the phone (which is what the bell agent told me to do) The clerk called "bell corporate" and then informed me that I have gone over the 100 minute allowance and I can no longer return the phone. I can only assume that last phone call to get the cancellation in writing might pushed it a couple minutes over 100 before I shut that phone off immediately for the last time...

Upon talking to 2 different bell "supervisors" who had terrible attiudes. I was repeatedly told by them that this decision is final and there is no one higher up to speak to.

I told the supervisor "so you must be bells CEO" and he said no im not but bells CEO doesn't take customer calls. I told absolutely not, But there are thousands of managers below him who can and will help me.

after enormous effort, he finally agreed to forward me to a regional manager on Tuesday (after the long weekend)

I will be speaking with the bell regional manager, and if he doesn't resolve this, I will be filing a small claims court case against bell, and have a judge decide on it..

im just wondering if there is anybody who has had any similar experiences, or been thru something similar, or sued a major company before...

im not the type of person to go to court, or even return anything. but bells level of service was so grotesque, and they personally insulted me to such a degree, that I feel I don't have any other choice....

im open to any tips or advice anyone has for me, and if this is in the wrong section and belongs in white noise, I apologize and kindly ask a mod to move it over.

thanks.

it's in the contract you went over the minutes you can't cancel without penalty.

First thing you should have done was take the phone back to where you purchased it and returned it.

Contact the CCTS here:

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/complaints.

This organization helped me get out of a contract with a competing company that wouldn't listen. Stop using the phone immediately. I had Bell before and had nothing but issues with them, fortunately I was only on month-to-month so I just cancelled. My experience is that cell companies don't start cleaning up their act unless forced to by an outside 3rd party.

Thanks.

that's actually an excellent idea I had not thought of in my exasperated state of mind.

I've had issues with Bell in the past. I got an HTC One M7 from them a couple years back and it worked fine until 11 months after the purchase. Luckily, I had negotiated a warranty plan that lasts one year and would be extended an extra year if the phone ever broke down and needed to be repaired. After it was repaired I confirmed again with Bell that the warranty had been extended another year and they showed me papers saying so.

Unfortunately, the phone stopped turning on a couple weeks later. Including the repair time this was about 13-14 months after my purchase. I brought the phone back to Bell and they said that they would not be repairing the phone unless I paid $500. They said that the warranty was never extended and the papers I had were worthless.

I was planning on getting an iPhone 6 anyways so I didn't want to invest any more time dealing with Bell than I had to. Good luck with solving your situation!

it's in the contract you went over the minutes you can't cancel without penalty.

First thing you should have done was take the phone back to where you purchased it and returned it.

There's documentation that he made the attempt to cancel before that though. I'd certainly be reporting Bell and he has a good chance of putting some serious pressure on them. Phone companies really don't like CCTS complaints.

I worked in the cellphone biz in the late 90's to mid 2000's. Bell went from being a customer focused company, to a number's driven company. I've always wondered why communications and media companies spend so much to attract new customers, and so little to keep customers. I felt sorry for Fido being bought out. That company had the right idea. They just didn't have enough capital to build a proper mobile network.

I worked in the cellphone biz in the late 90's to mid 2000's. Bell went from being a customer focused company, to a number's driven company. I've always wondered why communications and media companies spend so much to attract new customers, and so little to keep customers. I felt sorry for Fido being bought out. That company had the right idea. They just didn't have enough capital to build a proper mobile network.

Loved the Fido concept. First provider I went with when I decided to get a cell phone. Had to cancel 3 days later or so. Couldn't make a call inside my house, would have to stand in the yard, LOL!

You might not like to hear this: The problem is that according to terms of the contract, as you laid out, you never terminated the contract within the parameters/procedures/timeframe to do so. Asking if you can and actually doing it are two different things legally.

Also, canceling outside the parameters of the contract means you are now responsible for any penalties Bell wants to enforce against you, as spelled out in the contract. They now have a right to enforce the contract.

However, good customer service should mean they should let you walk. The problem is they will send it to collections before that will happen.

You could take this to small claims court, but I think the likelihood of winning is slim.

The lesson is that you need to read your contract before you sign it.

Word. If you went back to the store you could have resolved everything in one go. If you knew there was 100 minute limit then you shouldn't have talked on the phone at all, and used your friends phone or someone who has unlimited minutes.

OP is just plain stupid and you have no chance in court, you went over the minutes that's on you.

Bell has the greatest customer service on the planet. I mean it only took me 12min of waiting on the phone to find out that the reason I was being still being charge after my contract had expired because it was in the contract!!! You know the contract that I never received in the mail, yeah that one. Anywho the kind, patient, and very thoughtful FOB lady making min. wage was more then helpful. She transferred me to a line that went nowhere, then cancelled my phone mid month that I paid for. Thus losing my phone number, and every message that people sent me during this 2 week orgasmic ordeal. It's all good though. I'll buy buying a Whitecap jersey just so I can flaunt that Bell Logo of excellence. I encourage all of you to drop that inferior carrier and join Bell. After all, as thier radio ad will tell you, 98% of Bell customers stick with them on a monthly basis!!!

Bell has the greatest customer service on the planet. I mean it only took me 12min of waiting on the phone to find out that the reason I was being still being charge after my contract had expired because it was in the contract!!! You know the contract that I never received in the mail, yeah that one. Anywho the kind, patient, and very thoughtful FOB lady making min. wage was more then helpful. She transferred me to a line that went nowhere, then cancelled my phone mid month that I paid for. Thus losing my phone number, and every message that people sent me during this 2 week orgasmic ordeal. It's all good though. I'll buy buying a Whitecap jersey just so I can flaunt that Bell Logo of excellence. I encourage all of you to drop that inferior carrier and join Bell. After all, as thier radio ad will tell you, 98% of Bell customers stick with them on a monthly basis!!!

:lol:

.. as per the contract. :lol:

When I moved out to Alberta I'm glad Bell decided to try and stiff me on a subsidy for my Note 3. Because of that, I switched to Telus, which is far better in Alberta anyways.

I used to be under contract to Rogers, when time came to change my plan I confirmed over the phone. A month later they said I did not change my plan, ended up with a bill of 600 bucks due to "excess usage". Called back, the usual BS with these companies, said I had to now pay this amount.

After this debacle I said FU to these cell companies, and am now on a pay as you go, and rarely use a cellphone. I find my life is actually a lot less stress free, and I am free from any of these "contracts", which is just another way for companies to say "I got you now B---ch"

As someone who spent a short 4 month stint working customer retention for bell..

1-unfortunately you are out of luck no matter what.contract is iron clad.

2-the phone agents for bell are incompetent, and will lie to you to make quotas and avoid cancellations. Hell sometimes they will deliberately transfer you to the wrong department to avoid dealing with you.

I've been working in customer service for quite awhile in various jobs and was never prompted to stretch the truth or use scare tactics as much as I did with bell

Archived