The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who is the next Oilers captain?

Tystick

Who will McLellan pick as the Edmonton Oilers next captain?  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm 100% OK with the Oilers leaving this locker room cancer as captain as long as they'd like. Maybe he'll teach the kids how to flip opposing fans the bird after yet another cheapshot.

Yep he's a locker room cancer alright...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ference-touched-story-5-year-old-fan/

Maybe keep your yap shut and stop being so butt hurt over 2011...

Probably Jordan Eberle. If Andrew Ference is named captain, they will need to name a new captain again in 2-3 years.

Since Ference is currently their captain, they would be making a change to name someone now. Then they could be making a change again in a few years if someone like McDavid really steps forward.

I say stay with Ference unless they really feel one of the young guys will be their future captain and deserves it now. My guess would be Hall in that case.

Just let Ference keep it for now or run with 3 As for a while. Seems destined to be McJesus' team. Even if they Toews/Landeskog it, they need to play out the year before he gets it. Ideally, they give him a couple years or more first so he's really ready for it. Can't give it to a Hall/Eberle/RNH now if they want McJesus to have it later. Most players aren't Marleau (and to a lesser extent Thornton) and can just stick with the team forever after having his captaincy stripped.

Out of those options, RNH is the least likely in my opinion mainly because once McDavid establishes himself as the top line centre RNH is going to want out of Edmonton and play on another teams top line and in the salary cap era I doubt the oilers can afford McDavid, Hall, Eberle, and RNH while filling out the rest of the roster.

Archived