The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Why is Derek Roy still job-less?

Z Hockey

Now I know there's a lot of crammed depth charts around the league and cap space issues, it's showing with the likes of wingers in Brad Boyes, Glencross, and Bergenheim still not signed or even offered a PTO yet. Also with Lapierre and Goc being forced to sign in Europe. But one player that surprised me is Derek Roy, was worth Connauton and a 2nd a few years back, now bounced between Vancouver, St. Louis, Nashville, and Edmonton in only two seasons. He was a great addition for Edmonton late in the season and still has that shifty playmaking and high compete level game. If he is forced to sign in Europe I'll be surprised, there's been enough wasted talent lately.

Actually pretty surprising to me as well, Roy's value has slipped a lot, and I thought perhaps he had locker-room problems—but, all reports are saying he played a good leadership role in EDM.

In 2013, I thought he actually looked pretty good for the Canucks, but didn't really build any chemistry with the team, kinda looked outta place despite making nice plays, then the Canucks got swept.

Also for a guy who can put up .5 PPG, 1 million isn't a very high contract.

Who knows, Benning was head of scouting with Buffalo drafted him. Maybe he'd get a PTO here to put some fire under Linden Vey for the 4C position.

Actually pretty surprising to me as well, Roy's value has slipped a lot, and I thought perhaps he had locker-room problemsbut, all reports are saying he played a good leadership role in EDM.

In 2013, I thought he actually looked pretty good for the Canucks, but didn't really build any chemistry with the team, kinda looked outta place despite making nice plays, then the Canucks got swept.

Also for a guy who can put up .5 PPG, 1 million isn't a very high contract.

Who knows, Benning was head of scouting with Buffalo drafted him. Maybe he'd get a PTO here to put some fire under Linden Vey for the 4C position.

I was thinking if we move a couple veteran wingers (ie. Burrows, Higgins, Hansen) to make room for less/one prospect, then move Vey to wing, we could then have Roy as the 4th line C. I know he's not a typical 4th line C and isn't over big, but he's not soft and has a nice shifty and high compete combo game. Imagine

D. Sedin-H. Sedin-Vrbata

Baertschi-B. Sutter-Vey

Burrows-Horvat-Higgins

Prust-D. Roy-Dorsett

Kenins, Virtanen/Jensen/Grenier

Trade Hansen for nothing less than a low 2nd, or two picks/prospect and a pick.

I was thinking if we move a couple veteran wingers (ie. Burrows, Higgins, Hansen) to make room for less/one prospect, then move Vey to wing, we could then have Roy as the 4th line C. I know he's not a typical 4th line C and isn't over big, but he's not soft and has a nice shifty and high compete combo game. Imagine

D. Sedin-H. Sedin-Vrbata

Baertschi-B. Sutter-Vey

Burrows-Horvat-Higgins

Prust-D. Roy-Dorsett

Kenins, Virtanen/Jensen/Grenier

Trade Hansen for nothing less than a low 2nd, or two picks/prospect and a pick.

I really don't want to see Hansen moved, especially if it's to make room for Roy.

Every year a bunch of decent guys get squeezed out. This year there are quite a few more, but it is the same old story. It is really not hard to see why no one is taking a chance on this guy. He isn't bad. God knows, he was in the NHL. But there are quite a few fish in the sea. Expansion will definitely be fun to watch.

[ What a summer. We could have had Ehrhoff, Roy, Santorelli, Lapierre, Ballard, Booth, O'Brien, Allen, Malhotra, Bernier.... If only the fans ran the team]

It's the "middle class" of players that are being squeezed since the introduction of the salary cap.

The big stars will be getting their large contracts, thus leaving little wiggle room to fill out the roster save for rookies, fringe players and the odd journeyman. Raffi Torres, Manny Malhotra, Brendan Morrison.... they are the most recognizable names locally that had to take a major pay cut to play.

A good example would be the 2007 TBL. They had Lecavalier making 7.2, MSL making 6 and Brad Richards making 7.8.... with the salary cap at only 44 million. They had 3 guys making almost 50% of the entire salary cap of the team. They had no money for a goalie.... pretty much didn't and couldn't afford to have one until Ben Bishop came along a few years back.

Most NHL rosters nowadays are kinda similar too, with lots of top players getting paid and everyone else earning peanuts (relatively speaking).

Having more NHL teams won't solve the problem, except having a few extra roster spots for the 'middle income' players. They need to have the max salary only being around 10-15%, instead of the 20% it is currently, have some franchise status that can make certain contracts exempt, or maybe instituting a luxury tax and a soft-cap.... with the extra tax going towards non-hockey related revenue and towards post-career programs (health, concussions, other jobs, etc).

Roy's career has fallen inconsistent since he left Buffalo. I even remember making the argument that Vancouver should've resigned him a few years back and have the depth down the middle for us be Henrik, Kesler and Roy which sounded pretty cool at the time. Today though, as you said, rosters have a lot more depth than they had 5 years ago. Plus you're seeing most of the teams now wanting to reserve spots on their 3rd or 4th lines to have their younger players play on, which is why you're seeing guys like Roy, Goc, and Lapierre not landing NHL jobs. However, I bet if a major injury occurs and the team needs a quick replacement, Roy would be one of the first guys offered a deal.

Once expansion comes around though I bet someone will take Roy for sure.

Archived