The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

2 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I knew I should've sold and got back some of that cash I put in in August. Have a plan and stick to it. But instead of going with my instinct I listened to every pundit and so forth on BNN and etc. saying that were a lot of positives going forward and we wouldn't expect any big retractions. 

Look a year out. I noticed the volumes were mostly light in my portfolio. Come Nov.4th markets recover. 

11 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Look a year out. I noticed the volumes were mostly light in my portfolio. Come Nov.4th markets recover. 

Tough to separate emotion out of these decisions.  Probably why I tend to skip looking at the values of my holdings during events such as this.:lol:

1 hour ago, AriGold2.0 said:

I would love if somebody could break down IPOB for me.. Competition, valuation etc...

Anybody care to help me out and take it on ? I can't make my mind up on it but I'm leaning to be a very very good future play.

ARK bought up shares of it so they obviously believe in it. Online shopping real estate addition.. I mean everything else is going that way, but I just feel that people actually want to set foot inside a place they are about to spend $500k+ on. This in addition to what are the ripple effects of a bear market and job insecurity, particularly in US, on real estate?

I could see this being successful for condos and apartments but less so for homes. Technically it seems to have found support around $17. For me personally, I would rather just put money into EARK/ARK and get some Tesla, sqaure etc along with IPOB :)

Edit: I misunderstood opendoor.. they are online house purchasers then flip the houses essentially? I think relying on "short term [real estate] market appreciation to turn a slim profit" over a larger volume of home purchases is a dangerous game in the short-medium term given where the world is at. In a normal environment it sounds like an interesting idea.

Edited by I.Am.Ironman
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

I think a few youtube investment influencers made videos on Very and its just gaining steam. Seems like a lot of people are catching on!

Which usually means right after I buy in because of FOMO, everyone else jumps off leaving me bag holding for the next 6 months 

1 hour ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Picked up UVXY at market close .. saw what google did and got scared, saw what apple did and feeling good now.

Let's hope for a bloody Friday tomorrow.

New to the stock market.

Any predictions/insights to what a Biden vs a Trump win could mean to the market?

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

New to the stock market.

Any predictions/insights to what a Biden vs a Trump win could mean to the market?

Short term market wants stimulus deal done. 

Longer term historically democratic presidents see larger growth in markets.

Kamala Harris wants big taxes on Wall Street so that’ll hurt. 

China relations will sour more with trump win 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Picked up UVXY at market close .. saw what google did and got scared, saw what apple did and feeling good now.

Let's hope for a bloody Friday tomorrow.

I'm thinking of doing the same tomorrow. I think it is a good hedge play as we head into the election and rising cases.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

New to the stock market.

Socially? A Biden win has the potential for Trump not to concede the election which will likely cause his base, many of whom are armed, to "support" his cause. The market would probably crash in that scenario as it may precede a civil war in a worst case scenario.

From a platform standpoint? If democrats raise corporate taxes some of the major companies will likely see a pull back initially but as Nucks Pats Fan said, historically democratic administrations tend to grow the market more. It is unlikely to make that much difference over the long term, market wide. You will see some sector specific movement though, especially in energy.

The x factor is covid imo. One would think a Biden administration is more likely to 'lock it down' than Trump. If this happens, again, the market will likely see a repeat of March 2020. Conversely we may get a vaccine, though personally I think that is a long shot to happen within 6 months. IMO civil/political unrest and covid lockdown are the major risks at this juncture.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Socially? A Biden win has the potential for Trump not to concede the election which will likely cause his base, many of whom are armed, to "support" his cause. The market would probably crash in that scenario as it may precede a civil war in a worst case scenario.

From a platform standpoint? If democrats raise corporate taxes some of the major companies will likely see a pull back initially but as Nucks Pats Fan said, historically democratic administrations tend to grow the market more. It is unlikely to make that much difference over the long term, market wide. You will see some sector specific movement though, especially in energy.

The x factor is covid imo. One would think a Biden administration is more likely to 'lock it down' than Trump. If this happens, again, the market will likely see a repeat of March 2020. Conversely we may get a vaccine, though personally I think that is a long shot to happen within 6 months. IMO civil/political unrest and covid lockdown are the major risks at this juncture.

Any energy stocks you would be looking at in particular if it’s a Biden win?

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Any energy stocks you would be looking at in particular if it’s a Biden win?

You may find this interesting. Granted it's just 1 guy's  opinion.........

Why Joe Biden could be the most-bullish US President for oil in history

Wed 28 Oct 2020 19:36:17 GMT

But not for the reason you might think

Joe Biden is getting some attention in the final stretch of the US election for his comments about banning fracking on federal land and cutting subsidies for fossil fuels.

He may be the anti-oil candidate but even if that's his intent, the reality will be just the opposite.

First, there's little doubt that he would make the operating environment more difficult for oil companies. Regulation is coming regarding flaring, venting and drilling. While the aim is to benefit the environment, the result might be that it's a big win for the global oil industry, including the American drillers who can adapt.

All the commentary surrounding the oil industry at the moment is about declining demand due to renewables. That's an important long-term story but the narrative that's being overlooked is medium-term supply.

US production has fallen to 11 mbpd from 13 mbpd this year. It's likely to fall another 2 mbpd by the end of 2021. That's coming no matter who is in the White House because of low prices, high decline rates in shale and a lack of new drilling.

It's a similar albeit less-stark story globally as capex budgets have been cut around the world and that's going to mean materially less supply over the next two-to-five years. That's happening as global operating field output falls at a 2-6% pace each year.

That oil is simply not going to be replaced. The pandemic will end and when it does, demand is going to rebound. There are some inventories to run off but afterwards there is a growing threat of a supply shortage.

Of course OPEC returning and an Iran deal could mitigate some of that but there will still be a shortage of supply. Add in a President who is going to make it difficult to produce oil and an investment climate that's demanding returns to shareholders ahead of new drilling and there's big opportunity in oil.

Before that though I think we will see:

1. A knee-jerk lower in oil companies on a Biden win
  2. Further tax-loss selling of oil companies into year end
  3. The potential for a final flush in oil prices to as low as $20 on more OPEC supply or rising COVID cases
At some point, I think that sets up a magnificent trade in oil and oil companies. As always, the trick is getting the timing right.

WTI chart

In terms of politics, I think the resulting high gas prices could be one of the things that dogs Democrats in 2022 or 2024 but ultimately high oil prices will to boost investment into alternatives and that will help Democrats accomplish their goals more than any new policies.

• Cheers 1