The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

Investors do care and they are closely watching. It's hard to obtain funds right now (I come from a family of asset management). Big and small players are waiting on the election before they make their choices. They want to maximize full return on their investment, raising corp taxes takes away from their profits. Profit is what they care about, not Canada's social programs. Anyone in the industry (not just someone managing their own PA account) knows this. Don't believe me. Go ask a CFA or PM with a fund over 50 million. If you want I can give you a list of people to contact.

Well yes investors do care, but:

1) You said foreign investors. I still very much doubt Chinese and ME investors care who our next PM is.

2) If you are right, I find that line of thinking by these investors to be extremely short sighted.

3) Even if you are right on all counts, 'catastrophic' is too harsh a word to describe an NDP win. So the S&P go down by 300 points on Oct 20th. Big deal.

1. They still do, they are not just investing in the Canadian market just because they like Canada. Investors go where the money is at and where they can get the best possible returns. Higher Corp tax reduces profit.
  2. Short sighted.. Well yes. People invest to plump up their retirement funds not for the benefit of others. It no different than shopping at Walmart vs your local store. People shop at Walmart because it’s the cheapest even though in the end it hurts local businesses.

As much as people hate the guy (and I’ve seen my good friend Joanne as well as my my brother get in heated arguments with him and his fund) Kevin O’Leary is the type of person that you have to imagine when thinking of investors. You still have to take what he says with a grain of salt but it really does come down to “What’s in it for me and how can I make more money”.

“I won’t invest in Alberta currently because I’m waiting to find out what the new premier wants to do with royalties and corporate taxes,” said O’Leary. He says Premier Rachel Notley needs to make it clear to investors what’s going to happen, and it needs to happen soon.

“If she makes the mistake and makes the royalties too high, money will leave with certainty and she won’t get any capital.”

http://www.bnn.ca/News/2015/6/12/I-wont-invest-in-Alberta-OLeary.aspx

Selfish, short sighted or whatever else you want to call it, it’s the reality.People have worked hard for their money and they want to make sure that their investments are in best interest for themselves.

1. Catastrophic is a bit extreme but really ugly isn’t far off. Looking at my own portfolio, I’ve watched it take a 30% hit since NDP won in Alberta. Even my non energy investments have took a hit, they are slowly working their way back but I’m still not at POE, even after some released fantastic Q3 results. Results that in the past would have resulted in a 30-40% increase. And that’s simply because the volume isn’t there anymore, and I’m not sure it will get back to where is was prior.

The election does play a role with the markets. As I said earlier, Conservative or Liberal is ok, NDP, not so good.

Here's how Alberta was affected.

http://business.financialpost.com/news/energy/canadian-natural-resources-ltds-opening-shot-at-notleys-new-ndp-government

http://business.financialpost.com/news/energy/investors-urge-alberta-to-speed-up-royalty-regime-climate-policy-changes-notley

http://www.bnn.ca/Video/player.aspx?vid=719102

1. Catastrophic is a bit extreme but really ugly isn’t far off. Looking at my own portfolio, I’ve watched it take a 30% hit since NDP won in Alberta. Even my non energy investments have took a hit, they are slowly working their way back but I’m still not at POE, even after some released fantastic Q3 results. Results that in the past would have resulted in a 30-40% increase. And that’s simply because the volume isn’t there anymore, and I’m not sure it will get back to where is was prior.

Com'on now, when exactly did they win again? The DOW and NASDAQ probably have gone down by quite a bit as well during the same period. You wanna pin it on the Alberta NDP too?

Com'on now, when exactly did they win again? The DOW and NASDAQ probably have gone down by quite a bit as well during the same period. You wanna pin it on the Alberta NDP too?

The Chinese market didn't help but it's not really a surprise that the day after NDP won there was a big dip

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat

On the other hand, it's a great example showing that the rate of return, over 2500 years, for gold is zero. Still just sits there looking shiny.....

Sure, someone that stuffed dollar bills into their mattress would be SOL....

Of course, the truly rich people would advocate neither. They tend to invest in things that actually do something and make money, the form of which is of course relatively irrelevant so long as you can exchange it at will.

But hey, why worry about math and logic?

Prove that they do.

I have never seen a successful investor advocating actual gold as a significant part of their portfolio. Maybe god derivatives, or gold mining companies stocks, but not actual gold. Though I don't doubt some buys it as a jewelry type of investment.

“In a world where the value of paper money is affirmatively aimed at being degraded by central bank policy, it’s kind of surprising to me that gold can’t catch a bid,” thebillionaire and member of Bloomberg Markets 50 Most Influential said at the SOHN Investment Conference in Tel Aviv on Wednesday. “I like gold. I believe it’s under-owned. It should be a part of every investment portfolio, maybe five to ten percent.” Billionaire Paul Singer

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-10-14/billionaire-singer-lauds-gold-as-central-banks-keep-rates-low

“In a world where the value of paper money is affirmatively aimed at being degraded by central bank policy, it’s kind of surprising to me that gold can’t catch a bid,” thebillionaire and member of Bloomberg Markets 50 Most Influential said at the SOHN Investment Conference in Tel Aviv on Wednesday. “I like gold. I believe it’s under-owned. It should be a part of every investment portfolio, maybe five to ten percent.” Billionaire Paul Singer

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-10-14/billionaire-singer-lauds-gold-as-central-banks-keep-rates-low

5% to 10%.

I rest my case.

how old do i have to be to invest in the stock market? i have a tfsa and lots of savings

18 due to contract law. You can set up a custodial account with a parent or other trustworthy adult if you are underage. Maybe theres another way around it I dont know about. It hasnt been a concern of mine in many many years lol.

how old do i have to be to invest in the stock market? i have a tfsa and lots of savings

Depends on the broker and the country.

Even if you are under age, your parents/guardians can sign for you/take responsibility of the account.

There are good incentives for us youngins' too, with Interactive Brokers those 25 and under can start an account with as little as $2000.

Edited by RRypien37