Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion


AV's Coin

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Paper trading is nothing like trading with actual money. The emotions of real wins and losses changes everything. Trading is 80% emotion. 

yep, i understand this...pretty hard to simulate the consequences of losing yer real money etc....but im just even learning the basics, including the terminology, how to place trades etc etc. cheers for the advice.

i dont see myself as an active trader type...eventually i wanna make some sound investments for the long haul that i understand what it is im getting involved with beyond just seeking the advice of an advisor.

 

1 hour ago, Hobble said:

I used Questrade. You get a 30 day trial with over a million "dollars" haha.

 

I eventually created an account with to use with real money.

thanks...yes i was looking at questrade....looks like a decent brokerage and the fees seem reasonable plus as you say they have a simulator.

i was also considering cibc investors edge acct.   ....just because thats my current bank, apparently they also have a simulator.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/6/2017 at 7:40 AM, Toni Zamboni said:

yep, i understand this...pretty hard to simulate the consequences of losing yer real money etc....but im just even learning the basics, including the terminology, how to place trades etc etc. cheers for the advice.

i dont see myself as an active trader type...eventually i wanna make some sound investments for the long haul that i understand what it is im getting involved with beyond just seeking the advice of an advisor.

 

thanks...yes i was looking at questrade....looks like a decent brokerage and the fees seem reasonable plus as you say they have a simulator.

i was also considering cibc investors edge acct.   ....just because thats my current bank, apparently they also have a simulator.

It's probably not quite what you're looking for but on Yahoo Finance you can create portfolios and track stocks. You can enter what price you paid, how many shares purchased etc.. It will even track dividends received and (I think) even track what commission you say you paid to buy and sell. It's pretty realistic from what I recall.

 

Of course that won't be the same as learning on actual trading software but it will let you try out your investment ideas.

 

Plus it will never expire. Unlike nearly every simulator.

 

14 minutes ago, Toni Zamboni said:

what is your thoughts on Twitter?

is it time to buy in or are they still dropping some....are they gonna have another surge...possibly get acquired by another company like google etc?

TWTR is fine for a trade here and there. As for investing in it, it's a raging pile of dung.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2017-04-07 at 9:59 AM, nuckin_futz said:

It's probably not quite what you're looking for but on Yahoo Finance you can create portfolios and track stocks. You can enter what price you paid, how many shares purchased etc.. It will even track dividends received and (I think) even track what commission you say you paid to buy and sell. It's pretty realistic from what I recall.

 

Of course that won't be the same as learning on actual trading software but it will let you try out your investment ideas.

 

Plus it will never expire. Unlike nearly every simulator.

 

TWTR is fine for a trade here and there. As for investing in it, it's a raging pile of dung.

cheers.

i found this one site called investopedia.com  ...its free and unlimited use of their simulator....you can join existing sims or create yer own and set it to public or private.......so i set up a private sim for myself based on the parameters that fit my current situation....ie commission fees to match certain brokers, starting funds to equal my personal situation etc.

its nice, cause its also a learning database which is tied into the sim....so for beginners, its a nice way to learn the very basics of a trade and the terms etc.

 

after doing that for a few days, i researched some of the pros and cons of each of the cad discount brokers.....ultimately, i settled on questrade....seemed to me the best all around one that suits my needs currently. i have not made any trades yet, hopefully this week i can start to get my feet wet a little.

 

do you guys have any strategies you employ for diversification of your portfolio?  ie are there tried and true formulas for dividing yer investments etc?

i guess, another thing i need to consider is what type or types of accounts i should create taking into consideration how certain investments get taxed.

i dont currently have a registered acct so should i start there and max that out first before i use a taxable acct.

and which investments are better suited for a registered vs a non reg acct.?

 

 

lots to consider and decide,

thanks for any help!

Edited by Toni Zamboni
Link to comment
Share on other sites

TFSA, max it out baby.

 

On questrade, I started by investing some money in a few key companies I was interested in, but in future will put most of my money in ETFs due to there being negligible commissions.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 07/04/2017 at 3:57 PM, Bo053 said:

Aphria is skyrocketing ever since that Horizon marijuana ETF started trading

Should see them all rise up to or on thursday with the release of Liberal plan for legalization.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Toni Zamboni said:

is that happening this thursday or 4/20 thursday?

This Thursday as per CBC. Just announcing details to the rollout.

 

But any good news causes spikes in these stocks.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Hobble said:

This Thursday as per CBC. Just announcing details to the rollout.

 

But any good news causes spikes in these stocks.

cool, thanks....ive been watching those stocks in a virtual portfolio.....they seem to be doing well this past week and i was wondering why....best performers so far..

im not sure if my questrade acct will have its funds by then tho...i did an eft from my bank today...they said could take any where from 1 to 4 business days til its in and i can make trades.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Hobble said:

This Thursday as per CBC. Just announcing details to the rollout.

 

But any good news causes spikes in these stocks.

if i was planning on investing 5k into some of these pot stocks....is it wiser just to put the whole 5k in the HMMJ ETF or is it okay if i say split it up like 3k to the HMMJ ETF, and 1k to a particular stock i like, and another 1k to another stock i like....say aphria and canopy kinda thing?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Toni Zamboni said:

if i was planning on investing 5k into some of these pot stocks....is it wiser just to put the whole 5k in the HMMJ ETF or is it okay if i say split it up like 3k to the HMMJ ETF, and 1k to a particular stock i like, and another 1k to another stock i like....say aphria and canopy kinda thing?

 

It is my understanding that the ETF has several companies that are only associated with marijuana industry (not directly), so some of the companies and the ETF may not necessarily rise as much with the coming news.

 

Based on what I did, I would spend majority into stocks to start, and then add more gradually to ETF. That might be where you see the most growth immediately.

 

Best to buy a lot of shares at once to minimize the hit from commissions. Learned that lesson the hard way.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Toni Zamboni said:

if i was planning on investing 5k into some of these pot stocks....is it wiser just to put the whole 5k in the HMMJ ETF or is it okay if i say split it up like 3k to the HMMJ ETF, and 1k to a particular stock i like, and another 1k to another stock i like....say aphria and canopy kinda thing?

 

But keep in mind that I have been only doing this stuff for a couple months. So I am not as informed as others may be on these matters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/8/2017 at 3:33 PM, Toni Zamboni said:

cheers.

i found this one site called investopedia.com  ...its free and unlimited use of their simulator....you can join existing sims or create yer own and set it to public or private.......so i set up a private sim for myself based on the parameters that fit my current situation....ie commission fees to match certain brokers, starting funds to equal my personal situation etc.

its nice, cause its also a learning database which is tied into the sim....so for beginners, its a nice way to learn the very basics of a trade and the terms etc.

 

after doing that for a few days, i researched some of the pros and cons of each of the cad discount brokers.....ultimately, i settled on questrade....seemed to me the best all around one that suits my needs currently. i have not made any trades yet, hopefully this week i can start to get my feet wet a little.

 

do you guys have any strategies you employ for diversification of your portfolio?  ie are there tried and true formulas for dividing yer investments etc?

i guess, another thing i need to consider is what type or types of accounts i should create taking into consideration how certain investments get taxed.

i dont currently have a registered acct so should i start there and max that out first before i use a taxable acct.

and which investments are better suited for a registered vs a non reg acct.?

 

 

lots to consider and decide,

thanks for any help!

Investopedia is a very good resource. Questrade is a decent broker. They seem a tad pricey but nothing too bad.

 

Diversifying depends on many factors. The main thing being your age and how long you have until retirement. If you're a youngster you should have a higher percentage of your investments in stocks as opposed to fixed income instruments like bonds.

 

4 hours ago, Hobble said:

It is my understanding that the ETF has several companies that are only associated with marijuana industry (not directly), so some of the companies and the ETF may not necessarily rise as much with the coming news.

 

Based on what I did, I would spend majority into stocks to start, and then add more gradually to ETF. That might be where you see the most growth immediately.

 

Best to buy a lot of shares at once to minimize the hit from commissions. Learned that lesson the hard way.

The components of the ETF you mentioned are listed below.

 

Top Holdings

as at April 4, 2017

 

http://www.horizonsetfs.com/etf/HMMJ

 
Security Name Weight
CANOPY GROWTH CORP 9.95%
SCOTTS MIRACLE-GRO COMPANY CLASS A 9.95%
INSYS THERAPEUTICS INC 9.95%
AURORA CANNABIS INC 9.95%
APHRIA INC 9.95%
GW PHARMACEUTICALS PLC 9.89%
ZYNERBA PHARMACEUTICALS INC 8.45%
CRONOS GROUP INC 8.02%
CANNIMED THERAPEUTICS INC 5.56%
ORGANIGRAM HOLDINGS INC 5.38%
SUPREME PHARMACEUTICALS INC 4.70%
EMBLEM CORP 3.79%
EMERALD HEALTH THERAPEUTICS INC

2.31%

ICC INTERNATIONAL CANNABIS CORP 2.10%
Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Investopedia is a very good resource. Questrade is a decent broker. They seem a tad pricey but nothing too bad.

 

Diversifying depends on many factors. The main thing being your age and how long you have until retirement. If you're a youngster you should have a higher percentage of your investments in stocks as opposed to fixed income instruments like bonds.

 

The components of the ETF you mentioned are listed below.

 

Top Holdings

as at April 4, 2017

 

http://www.horizonsetfs.com/etf/HMMJ

 
Security Name Weight
CANOPY GROWTH CORP 9.95%
SCOTTS MIRACLE-GRO COMPANY CLASS A 9.95%
INSYS THERAPEUTICS INC 9.95%
AURORA CANNABIS INC 9.95%
APHRIA INC 9.95%
GW PHARMACEUTICALS PLC 9.89%
ZYNERBA PHARMACEUTICALS INC 8.45%
CRONOS GROUP INC 8.02%
CANNIMED THERAPEUTICS INC 5.56%
ORGANIGRAM HOLDINGS INC 5.38%
SUPREME PHARMACEUTICALS INC 4.70%
EMBLEM CORP 3.79%
EMERALD HEALTH THERAPEUTICS INC

2.31%

ICC INTERNATIONAL CANNABIS CORP 2.10%

thanks!

 

i see the pot stocks took a hit today. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ive done quite well year to date on the pot stocks. But Ill warn any of you if you cant stomach crazy swings than be careful when you pick your entry point.....look no further than Aphria's chart from today and you'll see why. They all gapped up this morning only to take a crazy drop 10 minutes later. Very manipulated sector at this point. Example..Aphria rose to 8.77 at open this morning only to drop to 6.80 within minutes and bounce back up over 8.00 just as fast....stop losses can actually hurt you bad when this happens. But with all that being said Im up over 300% ytd with this sector...its just a roller coaster ride at times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Toni Zamboni said:

thanks!

 

i see the pot stocks took a hit today. 

Buy on rumor sell on news...they are very volatile.  I took profits today....Ill buy back in next week. I expect a cooling off period after this week. Everyone already knows whats coming, the legislation wont exactly be eye opening. Still a year at least from legalization.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...