The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

1 hour ago, Hobble said:

Wow, Canopy is tanking quite remarkably. Thought it would be the opposite today.

It's a difficult stock to judge due to the nature of the business. 

Their accounting rules they use are IFRS, thus different from Canadian GAAP.  So sometimes cross comparison to related companies may be akin to apples versus oranges.

The way to do accounting is also akin to mining companies.  Nothing wrong, just the rules of accounting haven't been updated to deal with marijuana companies.  

Canopy is also overvalued compared to the revenue they bring in and income(loss) they have.

1 minute ago, Lancaster said:

It's a difficult stock to judge due to the nature of the business. 

Their accounting rules they use are IFRS, thus different from Canadian GAAP.  So sometimes cross comparison to related companies may be akin to apples versus oranges.

The way to do accounting is also akin to mining companies.  Nothing wrong, just the rules of accounting haven't been updated to deal with marijuana companies.  

Canopy is also overvalued compared to the revenue they bring in and income(loss) they have.

it probably didnt help that canopy's top brass sold off 20m in shares either.

all the pot stocks took a hit....the new bill is pretty meh, creating more questions than answers imo.

Just now, Toni Zamboni said:

it probably didnt help that canopy's top brass sold off 20m in shares either.

all the pot stocks took a hit....the new bill is pretty meh, creating more questions than answers imo.

It always looks bad when the top dog starts selling his/her share... but it's just common sense.  Think of how money were invested, so it's not a bad time to finally cash some of it in.  I'm just more curious as to what percentage he sold.  Most entrepreneur starts up many businesses, thus he can simply be divesting to help start up other opportunities.

Now if the CEO, all the board of directors and many upper management/executives starts off-loading share, now it's a cause for concern. 

I'm still not sure how they are having difficulties with legalizing marijuana.  Just take existing laws with tobacco and alcohol and then adjust them for pot.  Or just replicate the same laws in the states of Washington, Colorado, etc.  No need to reinvent the wheel.  

1 minute ago, Lancaster said:

I'm still not sure how they are having difficulties with legalizing marijuana.  Just take existing laws with tobacco and alcohol and then adjust them for pot.  Or just replicate the same laws in the states of Washington, Colorado, etc.  No need to reinvent the wheel.  

Aren't there international accords that Canada is part of which would prevent legalization?

1 minute ago, Kragar said:

Aren't there international accords that Canada is part of which would prevent legalization?

If that's the case, then going down the road for legalization is moot.  

It appears that most of the concerns are due to domestic reasons (driving, age limits, amounts, etc).  

2 hours ago, Hobble said:

Wow, Canopy is tanking quite remarkably. Thought it would be the opposite today.

I sold my Aphria stock at 7.85 earlier this week, glad I did.

I think they're all dropping because people were expecting more from this press conference and they basically said nothing new.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

If that's the case, then going down the road for legalization is moot.  

It appears that most of the concerns are due to domestic reasons (driving, age limits, amounts, etc).  

I suppose it depends on what the penalty is for breaking international law.  On the other hand, it wouldn't be the first time a campaign promise was a planned lie.

That's one thing I like about how it is being handled down here.  By legalizing at the state level (where it belongs, IMO), it gives good opportunities for experimentation (no pun intended), with non-legalized states as control groups.  Legalized states can make and learn from mistakes that others can benefit from if it ever gets to a point where it is legal across the country.  I'm on the fence myself.  I've never tried it, so I wasn't itching for the law to pass here.  I do worry about the negative impacts on society.  But the pro-legalization side makes a number of good points worthy of consideration, so I haven't closed the door on supporting it.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bo053 said:

I sold my Aphria stock at 7.85 earlier this week, glad I did.

I think they're all dropping because people were expecting more from this press conference and they basically said nothing new.

I did the same...sold some at 8.37 and remaining at 7.87...Ill wait a bit before getting back in...I do like the company direction and management though. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Vanisleryan said:

I did the same...sold some at 8.37 and remaining at 7.87...Ill wait a bit before getting back in...I do like the company direction and management though. 

If it drops below 7 I'll probably get back in.

One of the best advice I've heard, but a very hard one to follow is... "you can always catch the next train".

It's always stressful to try to earn every single last dollar and easy to kick yourself when you sell early... but there's never anything wrong with just simply taking profits. 

Many times I've sold stocks at like 20-30% profit... only for those companies to be bought out at like 2-3x times the price I sold them for (sometimes even 20x).  Sure... I probably could be retiring at my Coal Harbour penthouse overlooking my Bentley and prepping to sail on yacht.... but hindsight is always 20/20.  If only I could guess last week's lotto numbers 2 weeks ago, eh? 

You have to look at what the banks are offering you in terms of savings rate (1-2%) and what's a decent expected rate of return by portfolio managers (5-7%).... so if you pulled off 20% in one year.... you're already well ahead of the curve. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/13/2017 at 5:13 PM, Kragar said:

I suppose it depends on what the penalty is for breaking international law.  On the other hand, it wouldn't be the first time a campaign promise was a planned lie.

That's one thing I like about how it is being handled down here.  By legalizing at the state level (where it belongs, IMO), it gives good opportunities for experimentation (no pun intended), with non-legalized states as control groups.  Legalized states can make and learn from mistakes that others can benefit from if it ever gets to a point where it is legal across the country.  I'm on the fence myself.  I've never tried it, so I wasn't itching for the law to pass here.  I do worry about the negative impacts on society.  But the pro-legalization side makes a number of good points worthy of consideration, so I haven't closed the door on supporting it.

I'm not a smoker of it but its alot less damaging that alcohol long term and has medicinal benefits - i think those opposing it are heavily funded by the alcohol and tabocco lobby as all studies suggest it will heavily impact those industries

On 2017-04-24 at 5:35 PM, Toni Zamboni said:

does any one use this site for charts etc?

http://www.freestockcharts.com/platform/v1

or can you recommend a free site that gives real-time info for Canadian markets?

i found this one, they recently started offering free quotes without the 15 min delay (which is what i meant by real time)...

http://www.bnn.ca/markets

Edited by Toni Zamboni

On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 9:06 PM, NucksPatsFan said:

Another day, another drop for APH :(

It will hit 5s....maybe even low 5s. This was so predictable.  The only thing I was a bit surprised by was the sell off started a few days before legislation. Very happy I got out some at 8.37 and most at 7.87.

The next big catalyst should be when we hear something from the Provinces regarding distribution. Also If love to see medicinal be distributed through pharmacies....that would be huge.

Edited by Vanisleryan

Anyone have any experience with investments in mining?

Looking for any hot takes for cobalt, lithium, or other intriguing options.

EDIT: also, when you own shares of a sinking stock (ex. WEED) at an unattractive price, is it best to:

1. Sell some off and take the immediate loss while reinvesting at a later date and better price?

2. Just keep all the money in, while still reinvesting more money at a later date to bring down your AVG price, ultimately making your reward even greater when it rises again?

Keep in mind I'm only playing with a few hundred dollars, not 10's of thousands.

Edited by Hobble

4 hours ago, Hobble said:

Anyone have any experience with investments in mining?

Looking for any hot takes for cobalt, lithium, or other intriguing options.

EDIT: also, when you own shares of a sinking stock (ex. WEED) at an unattractive price, is it best to:

1. Sell some off and take the immediate loss while reinvesting at a later date and better price?

2. Just keep all the money in, while still reinvesting more money at a later date to bring down your AVG price, ultimately making your reward even greater when it rises again?

Keep in mind I'm only playing with a few hundred dollars, not 10's of thousands.

There are lots of different factors regarding mining stocks.  

Different metals have different applications:  Iron stocks are more for steel meaning constructions and stuff; Gold primarily has storage of wealth and jewelry;  Silver is a precious metal but with industrial applications; coal is for power generation and industrial use; Rare Earth Elements (REE) like lithium, cobalt, and so on for electronic goods; etc.

Each metal has different seasonality and uses, so one may go up and another may go down.  

Eg. #1. Trade war with China over North Korea  -> massive blow to economies and industrial output, demand for copper goes down.  Search for safety assets may have investors fleeing to Gold, thus mining stocks will go up along with it.  

Eg. #2. China stops all export of REE, so all non-Chinese based REE companies get big boosts as manufacturers may seek other sources.

Eg. #3.  The old adage... Sell in May, go away..... usually months of May to August is weak for gold prices.  Goes back up in September during Indian gold buying season.  

There are thousands of other variables that goes into play.... inflation, projected GDP, and even issues pertaining to specific firms.  

As for whether to buy/sell a stock.... that's a good question.