The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

On 2017-02-19 at 10:17 PM, Hobble said:

If you want to actively invest in equities with the whole buying/trading rather than long-term, when do you start getting the feeling to cash in on a stock?

Are their indicators or predictors that suggest a stock may be reaching its maximum profit relative to your investment?

Or do you just think, "Hey, this investment has made me $50 already. Time to cash in and move my money elsewhere!"

i found this site with a ton of great info for newer traders if yer interested in that kinda thing...

his yt page:

https://www.youtube.com/user/DaytradeWarrior/videos

his website:

https://www.warriortrading.com/

• 5 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Should've sold Aphria back in March :(

Feeling the same way about Canopy :(.

Hoping the price can drop more, so I can invest and bring down my average before the inevitable pendulum swing.

9 hours ago, Hobble said:

Feeling the same way about Canopy :(.

Hoping the price can drop more, so I can invest and bring down my average before the inevitable pendulum swing.

hopefully there will be some more hype come fall to help bolster them again.

this one may be worth keeping an eye on:

The Tragically Hip has announced a partnership with medical marijuana company Newstrike.

"After much discussion and assessment on our part, we've decided that this company — and the many creative people in it — are a perfect fit for The Hip," said the band in a news release.

The company says the band members are "significant investors" in Newstrike, which will begin trading on the TSX in June under the new symbol HIP. The band will also play a role in the company's branding efforts.

"No one knows Canada and Canadians like the members of The Tragically Hip," said Newstrike executive chairman Scott Kelly. "With their involvement and support, Newstrike firmly believes we are developing the brand that adult consumers who choose to use cannabis will turn to."

Tragically Hip on Stage

A release from the company cited the opportunity for "harnessing the artistic and business acumen of the band members in brand development within the government's evolving regulatory framework."

Newstrike CEO Jay Wilgar later told The Canadian Press, however: "This partnership with the band is not a marketing partnership, this is a business partnership, the band are shareholders in the company."

The Tragically Hip says it chose Newstrike because of its "due diligence" in entering the market.

"They've hired pre-eminent scientists and growers, developed large, well-structured sites and have the wherewithal and expertise to take this on," wrote the band.

The deal also comes more than a year before Ottawa's promised date for recreational marijuana legalization, a policy change that's been lauded by The Hip.

"This is a common-sense policy and, in our opinion, is a change for the best," said the band.

Details of the deal

According to a May regulatory filing, The Tragically Hip has a "comprehensive licensing and promotional services agreement" with HPI Holdings Ltd., which was taken over by Newstrike effective Feb. 3.

Under the agreement, The Hip and its members will get 2.5 per cent of gross revenues "from the sale of products bearing the brand or likeness of The Tragically Hip." The band also received three million shares in the company, plus "a non-refundable advance payment against future royalties of $1,000,000."

Trading in Newstrike Resources shares was halted on Tuesday, with the stock worth $0.145 on the TSX Venture exchange. If The Tragically Hip still holds three million shares in Newstrike, those shares were worth $435,000 on Tuesday.

Creating 'aspirational lifestyle'

Celebrity endorsements serve to "elevate your brand from a lifestyle lens," said Jenn Larry, vice-president of strategy and operations with marketing and communications firm Precision CG.

"When you're looking for endorsements, there's a lifestyle component, but there's also a generational component, because [celebrities] create an aspirational lifestyle that people like to be part of."

Larry, who spoke to CBC News before The Tragically Hip-Newstrike partnership was announced, said it made sense for Canadian marijuana companies to seek celebrity tie-ups, particularly with musicians.

"I wouldn't pigeonhole any type of genre per se, or artist, but genres that lend themselves to a natural collaboration with cannabis seem like the right place to go," said Larry.

Legal considerations

The government's Cannabis Act, which has not yet become law, would place significant restrictions on how marijuana can be marketed and advertised.

Promoting marijuana, accessories, or related services "by means of a testimonial or endorsement" would be prohibited under the current version of Bill C-45, as would promotions "by means of the depiction of a person" and any promotions that allude to "a way of life such as one that includes glamour, recreation, excitement, vitality, risk or daring."

CannTrust

Marijuana marketing may be contained to age-restricted stores and websites after federal legislation is passed. (CannTrust/Facebook)

However, Bill C-45 does allow for "informational" or "brand preference" promotion of cannabis under circumstances that would keep such marketing away from young people.

Some experts in Canada's burgeoning cannabis industry say companies like Newstrike may be trying to secure celebrity endorsements before those laws go into effect.

However, once legislation is passed, that type of marketing may continue to exist inside age-restricted retail stores or websites, similar to the standard in U.S. states where recreational marijuana has been legalized.

"I don't think you'll see it in magazines, billboards and televisions in Canada, but you may see it in storefronts or websites," said Will Stewart, managing partner at the strategy and communications firm Navigator on CBC Radio's Metro Morning.

The Tragically Hip's partnership with Newstrike isn't the first time a legal Canadian marijuana producer has associated itself with a celebrity.

In 2016, licensed marijuana producer Tweed partnered with hip-hop celebrity and cannabis aficionado Snoop Dogg to sell "Leafs by Snoop"-branded marijuana in Canada.

Leafs by Snoop was launched in Colorado, where recreational marijuana is legal, in November 2015.

9 hours ago, Vanisleryan said:

Hope you're not holding it...I bet it goes to low 4s

Closed at 5.10, at least it bumped back into the 5's. I am still holding it (posted above how I regret not selling it 2 months ago when it was at $8). . . Now I don't know when to sell. I bought in at 5.65/share. Do I try for it to get back up to that and sell and call it even? Or do I hold until next July and hope legalization and intro into the US market helps it improve? 

So glad I didn't invest in Canopy. When I bought APH at 5.65, Canopy was at 10.35 .. now down into the 7's.

2 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Closed at 5.10, at least it bumped back into the 5's. I am still holding it (posted above how I regret not selling it 2 months ago when it was at $8). . . Now I don't know when to sell. I bought in at 5.65/share. Do I try for it to get back up to that and sell and call it even? Or do I hold until next July and hope legalization and intro into the US market helps it improve? 

So glad I didn't invest in Canopy. When I bought APH at 5.65, Canopy was at 10.35 .. now down into the 7's.

Its hard to predict...Ive been playing these stocks since last spring....bought APH originally at 1.47 and WEED at 2.65. I bought sold them a bunch of times since then...sold everything 2 days before legislation so I did quite well. My gut says it could go alot lower. WEED has a crucial support level at 7.06 if it drops past that I think 5.65 is the next one. APH will get pulled down with it. Check out "the chart guys" on youtube. ..alot of great info about trends on there.

its looking like the potcom bubble has burst. (for now)

i sold what i had invested in the pot stocks back in april and cut my losses when it was obvious the hype was over and i jumped on the tech train...

so far nvidia, tesla, amd and twitter have been the big gainers for me the last month or so.

tried my hand at day trading for a few weeks on the side but havent really mastered it yet....took some losses there but i think it has a lot of potential... just need to master the emotional side which is proving a lot easier said than done.

i ended up buying a level 2 subscription for the US exchanges and switched my commission plan to 1cent per share so i could day trade with smaller size to get the hang of it.

so far Questrade has been decent....but i will probably migrate over to interactive brokers if i decide to pursue day trading seriously.

for stock scans, ive been using a combo of the market movers that comes with Questrade, stockwatch.com pre-market along with stocktwits and a couple chatrooms that use trade-ideas.... And also various news outlets looking for catalysts.

ive basically been looking for stocks with volume under 20 bucks with a catalyst or history of running and trading on the long side of pullbacks....not confident/skilled enough for shorts yet.

for charts ive been keeping it simple with the 1min, 5min and daily candlesticks with  9, 20, 50 ema, and vwap looking for areas of support and resistance .....i will learn more about other studies in the fall to see what else they can reveal but for now i think simple is better and trying to scalp some of the momentum swings seems like where i fit in.

...pressing sell can be a hard thing to do, especially when taking a loss....but im learning to take small losses and keep my stops tight and to get better timing.

Questrade is garbage for day trading. Horrible customer service to. 

IB is the way to go. Regarding Pot Stocks. I've been saying it from day 1. Strictly good for day trades, Russian Roulette if you're investing long term. 

Regarding the emotional side, I feel your pain. This is the hardest part of day trading.

Keep at it. 

1 hour ago, RRypien37 said:

Questrade is garbage for day trading. Horrible customer service to. 

IB is the way to go. Regarding Pot Stocks. I've been saying it from day 1. Strictly good for day trades, Russian Roulette if you're investing long term. 

Regarding the emotional side, I feel your pain. This is the hardest part of day trading.

Keep at it. 

This.

The human instinct to be "right" rather than "do what's best" is very strong.  

Pot stocks isn't a bad investment if you're hoping for long-term.  Long-term as in 5 years.  That being said, Canopy is over-valued relative to revenue and income.  But they are the most notable name in Canada.  GW Pharm may be a better choice, as many experts has said it's a prime target for a buyout by one of those mega-pharma.... but you do get exposed to US currency.  

I always want to try my hand in active day-to-day trading, but I don't have the time nor the emotional fortitude to do it.  I'm Finance major, CIM and CFA candidate.... yet I know I will be unable to separate my personal emotion from trading.  

Was hoping Canopy would dip closer to 5 or 6 bucks to buy up some more, but it seems to be rising again.

Earnings report upcoming?

How low do people foresee WEED going throughout the summer?! Is $5 an unreasonable goal?

13 hours ago, Hobble said:

Was hoping Canopy would dip closer to 5 or 6 bucks to buy up some more, but it seems to be rising again.

Earnings report upcoming?

How low do people foresee WEED going throughout the summer?! Is $5 an unreasonable goal?

Ive got my buys set at 6.25 for WEED and 4.25 for APH....If I get those Ill be happy to hold until recreation.