The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

4 minutes ago, inane said:

Or you just don't feel like cooking. Or doing dishes. Or you want something particular and don't want to go buy all the ingredients you don't actually need for anything else. Or you just value your time differently. Or you don't want to drive to the restaurant you're ordering from cause it's far or hard to get to. Or... 

So the app is for people that are lazy. I'm sure there is more to it than that, but you have put a really poor argument forward for why it is valued. Most of what you have suggested do not explain why people living in urban areas need this 'service'. 99% of people are not so important/busy as to have no time to actually pick the food up themselves. 

Edited by Down by the River

20 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I've only use those delivery services when I'm unable to leave the house (kids are sick, car broke down, etc).  

Once you factor in the mark up, fees, tip... it's easily 20-40% more expensive than if you went to pick-up the food yourself.  

Only company that has anything remotely resembling an acceptable price is skip.  I'll use DoorDash or UberEats only if there's a promo that more than offsets the outrageous fees they charge.  I've been using them more because I don't feel comfortable eating out and picking up is a huge issue without a car.

Edited by King Heffy

Just now, Down by the River said:

So the app is for people that are lazy. I'm sure there is more to it than that, but you have put a really poor argument forward for why it is valued. Most of what you have suggested do not explain why people living in urban areas need this 'service'. 

I'm not commenting on the value of the stock, just why people would want this service. 

You say lazy, that's your perspective. My point is there are a multitude of reasons why people would use this service. Mostly the same reasons people use cleaning services or car wash services or landscaping services or any service. They value something doing something else more than doing that and are willing to pay to have someone else or something else do it for them. 

Top it all off with covid and not wanting to go out at all, I certainly don't think that's lazy. 

46 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Thanks. I just feel like if you live in any kind of urban area, there are so many more economical options. Eating out already costs you 50%+ of what it would cost to go to a grocery store and have dinner at home... and then on top of the takeout cost you're adding another 20% to the DoorDash fee. It just seems like such a stupid product to me. Unless the amount of time it would take me to cook dinner is time that I could spend making money (instead of sitting on my ass watching TV) I don't know why I'd be motivated to use Door Dash... 

I have used door dash, post mates, grub hub, takeout taxi etc. for work.

The biggest problem is cost associated that they pass to restaurants and it’s typically 20% plus percent.

In the city it is worth it, but in suburbs not so much.

As far as door dash stock valuation which is 70plus billion, I am taking a hard pass.

But look at bright side, Tesla still hasn’t turned any profit and has the MC 10 times higher than DD.

Edited by CBH1926

Quick question for you guys.

How are you guys planning on getting ABNB? Is there a way we can get it right when it opens up for the IPO (such that the price isn't already dramatically raised)?

I have never attempted to buy a shares at IPO yet but am likely going to buy ABNB when it does go public. 

If it helps, I use Questrade. 

Thanks to all that reply!

Edited by Kooner91

1 hour ago, Kooner91 said:

How are you guys planning on getting ABNB? Is there a way we can get it right when it opens up for the IPO (such that the price isn't already dramatically raised)?

I have never attempted to buy a shares at IPO yet but am likely going to buy ABNB when it does go public. 

I expect something similar to Snowflake's IPO. It IPOd at 120 but nobody was getting shares until it was at $200. Probably a similar outcome with AirBnB. IPO at 55, shares available at 80 or something. They are in a lot of debt though and their use has declined even more from the Sept 30, the date they used as the cutoff for their prospectus. Their first earnings report is likely to be pretty grim.

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

I have used door dash, post mates, grub hub, takeout taxi etc. for work.

The biggest problem is cost associated that they pass to restaurants and it’s typically 20% plus percent.

In the city it is worth it, but in suburbs not so much.

As far as door dash stock valuation which is 70plus billion, I am taking a hard pass.

But look at bright side, Tesla still hasn’t turned any profit and has the MC 10 times higher than DD.

JP's getting off the Tesla train. .............

Tesla, Trading at $650, Gets $90 Price Target From JPMorgan

JPMorgan analyst Ryan Brinkman has told clients not to increase their holdings in Tesla to approximate its weight in the S&P 500 ahead of its inclusion to the benchmark on December 21.

2 hours ago, Kooner91 said:

The IPO was just priced at $68.

ABNB & DASH ipo will employ a HYBRID AUTION MODEL

Mon, December 7, 2020, 1:10 PM PST

The hot Airbnb and DoorDash initial public offerings due to come this week will use a hybrid auction mechanism that is designed to result in a deal pricing that gets it closer to market pricing. It is intended to address growing criticism from Silicon Valley and elsewhere that companies get shortchanged in the IPO process.

With the hybrid auction, institutional investors need to submit through an electronic portal the quantity of stock they are willing to buy and the prices that they are prepared to pay. Such a process was used in September as part of the IPO of Unity Software (ticker: U), a maker of tools for videogame development. That IPO was led by Goldman Sachs.

The home-sharing travel upstart Airbnb, which will trade under the ticker ABNB, plans to sell as many as 56.5 million shares in a projected range from $54 to $60 a share, with the range lifted Monday from $44 to $50 a share.

DoorDash plans to sell 33 million shares in an projected range from $90 to $95 a share. The DoorDash shares, which will have the ticker DASH, are expected to be priced on Tuesday, and Airbnb’s on Wednesday. Morgan Stanley is lead underwriter for Airbnb, while Goldman is lead underwriter for DoorDash.

It really didn't help it get any closer to market pricing than the usual process.

It doesn't help. In this instance or any other.

Edited by nuckin_futz

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

The IPO was just priced at $68.

ABNB & DASH ipo will employ a HYBRID AUTION MODEL

Mon, December 7, 2020, 1:10 PM PST

The hot Airbnb and DoorDash initial public offerings due to come this week will use a hybrid auction mechanism that is designed to result in a deal pricing that gets it closer to market pricing. It is intended to address growing criticism from Silicon Valley and elsewhere that companies get shortchanged in the IPO process.

With the hybrid auction, institutional investors need to submit through an electronic portal the quantity of stock they are willing to buy and the prices that they are prepared to pay. Such a process was used in September as part of the IPO of Unity Software (ticker: U), a maker of tools for videogame development. That IPO was led by Goldman Sachs.

The home-sharing travel upstart Airbnb, which will trade under the ticker ABNB, plans to sell as many as 56.5 million shares in a projected range from $54 to $60 a share, with the range lifted Monday from $44 to $50 a share.

DoorDash plans to sell 33 million shares in an projected range from $90 to $95 a share. The DoorDash shares, which will have the ticker DASH, are expected to be priced on Tuesday, and Airbnb’s on Wednesday. Morgan Stanley is lead underwriter for Airbnb, while Goldman is lead underwriter for DoorDash.

It really didn't help it get any closer to market pricing than the usual process.

It doesn't help. In this instance or any other.

I just don’t know how I feel about investing in a company that makes money when people rent homes.

Hopefully covid will be gone soon, but I still don’t see myself staying at someone’s house any time soon.

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

JP's getting off the Tesla train. .............

Tesla, Trading at $650, Gets $90 Price Target From JPMorgan

JPMorgan analyst Ryan Brinkman has told clients not to increase their holdings in Tesla to approximate its weight in the S&P 500 ahead of its inclusion to the benchmark on December 21.

Tesla is way overpriced and there is no way to justify that market cap.

But these same clowns at JPM still have buy rating for Nikola.

Few weeks ago they were even saying it’s great that NKLA price has dropped so more people can invest.

I mean, Tesla has cars on the road, Milton was rolling his trucks down the hill.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

Few weeks ago they were even saying it’s great that NKLA price has dropped so more people can invest.

I mean, Tesla has cars on the road, Milton was rolling his trucks down the hill.

Whenever these idiots speak, it is time to do the opposite. 

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Cheers 1

On 12/6/2020 at 7:46 PM, inane said:

@AriGold2.0  still a believer? Freed up about 15k, want to put it in something explosive. 

I'm not anymore.. After diving closer I realized Branson isn't directly apart of this they're just using his name. It's all his emloyees though.

The best current team without a merging partner is AJAX, good place to park some money..  Former CEO's and Co-Founders of Chipotle, Square, Instagram and 23AndMe.

The units split sometime next week, you should be able to get Class A shares for around $10 which is my goal.

15 hours ago, Kooner91 said:

We're all screwed, launching at $150 a share, just horrific pricing...

12 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

I'm staying clear of both for the reasons you mentioned..

7 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I remember watching John Stewart roast Cramer and I thought that nobody could ever possibly listen to him again. A decade later and he's still at it. 

TBH he really is accurate when you do the exact opposite.

As soon as he says sell I buy and vice versa, works pretty good!

17 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Curious to know if people here actually use DoorDash. I find it such a waste of money, would never use it with any sort of regularity. 

When the wife and I both have had too much wine or scotch and the cravings kick in.

Or if the morning after is super rough and football Sunday is just about to start. 

Otherwise I’ll drive the 5 mins to our favourite spots to pick up. 

Just now, NucksPatsFan said:

When the wife and I both have had too much wine or scotch and the cravings kick in.

Or if the morning after is super rough and football Sunday is just about to start. 

Otherwise I’ll drive the 5 mins to our favourite spots to pick up. 

I actually didn't even know they operate in the lower mainland. I use Skip only and it's who I see out there.

Just now, AriGold2.0 said:

I actually didn't even know they operate in the lower mainland. I use Skip only and it's who I see out there.

DoorDash, skip, Uber eats and one other are all operating in lower mainland. Instacart as well for groceries.

I usually just filter by $0 delivery fee on all 3 and see what’s available :lol:

16 hours ago, Kooner91 said:

You can call your broker and ask them to get you in once it’s available to them but you have to have a minimum of a $50k or $100k order I believe 

edit: no guarantee they can get it for you, depends on how many shares get made available to the broker and how popular it is. But that’s how you get in to IPO’s before the public scramble. 

Edited by NucksPatsFan