The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

I broke even on the year in terms of actual cash on hand but my ROI is about 20% over my initial investment.  I feel pretty good.

That being said man did I screw up and cost myself a lot of grief and lost potential.  So much still to learn

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I broke even on the year in terms of actual cash on hand but my ROI is about 20% over my initial investment.  I feel pretty good.

That being said man did I screw up and cost myself a lot of grief and lost potential.  So much still to learn

I sure learned a lot as well. My RRSP I started with 'safe' stuff, and just kinda ignored it until recently. Return this year? +12%

TFSA where SHOP and Well.TO sit among others --+45%

Taxable where it's a mixed bag including SQ and TTD--+77%!

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, inane said:

I sure learned a lot as well. My RRSP I started with 'safe' stuff, and just kinda ignored it until recently. Return this year? +12%

TFSA where SHOP and Well.TO sit among others --+45%

Taxable where it's a mixed bag including SQ and TTD--+77%!

show off :) 

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

What are people's plans for quadruple witching day this Friday?

Meh. A bit overblown in my opinion. The last 2 haven't effected me personally much. Unless you're a day trader, anything you're holding that goes down with the sell off will come back up. 

Also none of my current options expire anytime soon, so we all good. 

Edited by NucksPatsFan

1 hour ago, inane said:

Celebrate my last day of work for 2 weeks!

And remain in awe that in my 1st year of investing I made more than my annual salary... Mostly unrealized gains but still, that number makes me warm and fuzzy.

Thank you everyone here for the discussion and to my big horses --SHOP, TTD, SQ and Well.TO!

Lucky, I have to work until the 23rd. :lol: But then I'm off until the 4th. 

46 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

PFE down 7 days in a row, even China is buying 100m doses from them, they will probably go down on this news as well.

Rarely you stock trade sideways for years on end.

One thing that this might relate to is how apparently vaccines are not at all the type of drug pharma wants to make because people only need like 2 doses. Making a vaccine that is unaffordable during a pandemic would be a public relations nightmare... but if you can create a pill for depression or something that people need to take regularly, you can move a lot more of it and charge a more exorbitant price. Moderna experienced the same drop in stock as PFE after announcements in Canada and elsewhere (Germany?). 

It seems like PFE responds more to potential outcomes than actual ones. There was a spike when the possibility of a vaccine was announced and a drop when the actual vaccine was approved. 

Edited by Down by the River
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

One thing that this might relate to is how apparently vaccines are not at all the type of drug pharma wants to make because people only need like 2 doses. Making a vaccine that is unaffordable during a pandemic would be a public relations nightmare... but if you can create a pill for depression or something that people need to take regularly, you can move a lot more of it and charge a more exorbitant price. Moderna experienced the same drop in stock as PFE after announcements in Canada and elsewhere (Germany?). 

It seems like PFE responds more to potential outcomes than actual ones. There was a spike when the possibility of a vaccine was announced and a drop when the actual vaccine was approved. 

Moderna was around $18 back in March and as high as $180, as of today it’s up 600% YTD.

So people have made money with MRNA, PFE on the other hand is up 1.88% YTD.

Yes PFE has larger MC so it takes a while to move, but I just feel bad for people that have invested with them.

PFE has the same price today as it did back when Clinton was the president and that is just sad.

8 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Moderna was around $18 back in March and as high as $180, as of today it’s up 600% YTD.

So people have made money with MRNA, PFE on the other hand is up 1.88% YTD.

Yes PFE has larger MC so it takes a while to move, but I just feel bad for people that have invested with them.

PFE has the same price today as it did back when Clinton was the president and that is just sad.

PFE also pays a 4% dividend which eats a bunch of cash

5 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Look for entries and not hold anything volatile ! haha... 

Only 4 of these things a year. I like to put companies ARK  has been buying up lately on my list and see if they tank lower then their purchase price.

6 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Without access to opening and closing order imbalances it's a bit like fumbling around in the dark. To spot the opportunities you need access to this data. These high volume orders happen on the open and close every day. But are larger and wilder on a Quad Witch.

Obviously the larger the unpaired imbalance the larger the potential price distortion in either direction. This is a decent video explaining closing order imbalances.

TSLA gets added to the S&P 500 at tomorrow's close so you can expect a huge buy side imbalance. And if there isn't sufficient sell side interest to balance the demand you could see the closing print be quite elevated.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Without access to opening and closing order imbalances it's a bit like fumbling around in the dark. To spot the opportunities you need access to this data. These high volume orders happen on the open and close every day. But are larger and wilder on a Quad Witch.

Obviously the larger the unpaired imbalance the larger the potential price distortion in either direction. This is a decent video explaining closing order imbalances.

TSLA gets added to the S&P 500 at tomorrow's close so you can expect a huge buy side imbalance. And if there isn't sufficient sell side interest to balance the demand you could see the closing print be quite elevated.

I need to know man, were you educated or just fell in to the industry via work/career?

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I need to know man, were you educated or just fell in to the industry via work/career?

My education is in the field of electronics. Looking back what a serious vocational error that was. Then again everything happens for a reason. If it weren't for working for a jackass back then I wouldn't have had the impetus to try something else. So ty very much to my old boss Robert, you big jackass.

I had been dabbling on my own. Much like many of the participants in this thread. In 2001 I joined a proprietary trading firm. Being around like minded people was a big boost. As was getting to do thousands of trades. That's when the learning curve was greatly sped up.

I have no formal education in finance. You just pick it up as you go. So to answer your question I just kinda fell into it.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

His real name is "Adrian du Plessis".:P

The good old days of the VSE. There's a reason Forbes magazine once called it the "scam capital of the world". Investing in total dogsh** on that exchange because I had no clue what I was doing. I remember going to a shareholder meeting for one of those crap companies at some hotel. I realized I needed to sell this crap when one of the directors introduced himself as Stanley Stanley (at least his parents had a sense of humor) then proceeded to give me a used car sales speech. I was thinking to myself 'relax chief, I already own this crap'. At least the coffee and donuts were good.

du Plessis was a bit before my time. Is he still around or did he wind up 'sleeping with fishes' after exposing one too many bad guys?

9 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

The good old days of the VSE. There's a reason Forbes magazine once called it the "scam capital of the world". Investing in total dogsh** on that exchange because I had no clue what I was doing. I remember going to a shareholder meeting for one of those crap companies at some hotel. I realized I needed to sell this crap when one of the directors introduced himself as Stanley Stanley (at least his parents had a sense of humor) then proceeded to give me a used car sales speech. I was thinking to myself 'relax chief, I already own this crap'. At least the coffee and donuts were good.

du Plessis was a bit before my time. Is he still around or did he wind up 'sleeping with fishes' after exposing one too many bad guys?

I remember cold calls from brokers on the VSE. I admit that I bit on a few. I was in my early 20's and running my own business. Bottom line was I knew my business didn't have the potential to grow much more than it had. Diversifying became my internal mantra.